Butt lift on my 3.2 tail

Stepo

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased a standard 3.2 Carrera tail to replace the turbo tail that's been there since I bought the car (sorry Wasser).  Been pestering a few PFA members to gather information and now have the correct period tail that will need to be repainted.

I still have a few minor details to work through and would appreciate any comments from those that can help:

• going with satin black on the tail louvers (heads up from VAS) unless someone has more specific info.
  • the satin black is masked just outside the louvers.  When I measured the turbo tail and the new Carrera tail, I'm getting variations in the distance masked, from 12mm up to 19mm respectively.  Anyone got a standard 3.2 tail that could confirm masked gap width on top, bottom & sides?
  • also interested to know if your tail was masked with louvers or body colour painted last (you can feel this from where the tape was removed, sharper edge on masked surface).
  • will be spraying the inner rectangular wire mesh while I'm there, thinking it looks matt black unless I get told otherwise. 

And lastly; something I'm pondering, the turbo tale has the "ET" 3rd brake light and I'm not sure if this was ever standard gear for a 3.2 Carrera?  I like the thought of improved safety given the standard lights are pretty average (a new mini looks big from a 3.2 rear mirror, don't want an SUV up my @ss).  To fit the extra brake light, I just need to drill three holes in the new lid and best considered prior to paint.

I suppose the three options are:

1. new tail with only the two bumper brake lights (safety issues but cleaner lines & possibly more original?)
  2. add the "ET" brake light to the new tail (some don't like Porsches design, but I'm used to having it there and it's where I'm leaning)
  3. optional cabin LED technology ( I wouldn't consider having LED headlights on an 85 car, so not too keen on an LED brake light).

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated :)

if  the third brakelight is the  periscope looking thing i'd leave it off, and fit one attached to the ceiling inside the car (option 3).
they'e invisible (especially the slim one on my car) until you use them, and actually higher up for better visibility.

i.e.

mgUWJ62.jpg

(can't really see it at all until you're close or on the brakes)

IaQQQG9.jpg

square shaped style

There's some sort of law in Victoria saying you need 3 brake lights. On my 86 951 i've got 2. As mine is a british import, it never came with one. 

the 944 one is like the 993 T on the rear window. 

IF yours is the one sticking out ontop of the lid, i'd say remove it. I think they're ugly. 

Also no to LED lights for the interior unless they are a warm colour like a standard globe. To tacky. The nice yellow glow just make the interior look so much nicer!

The "ET light" is correct for US spec cars.. was not available on Aussie Delivered cars.. I would give it a miss.. my 84 has never had a third brake light but from 86 onwards they where available on 911's

The spoiler is painted in body colour, masked up and then shot with a couple coats of black.. ( I will measure my wing tonight for specs)

The "ET light" is correct for US spec cars.. was not available on Aussie Delivered cars..

I had a client with a delivered new from Hamilton's Melbourne 3.2 Turbo body and the ET brake light was factory fitted.

if  the third brakelight is the  periscope looking thing i'd leave it off, and fit one attached to the ceiling inside the car (option 3).

they'e invisible (especially the slim one on my car) until you use them, and actually higher up for better visibility.

i.e.

(can't really see it at all until you're close or on the brakes)

You've got me thinking LED now C-Monkey.  Can you recall where you got yours from?  I've heard some heat up and melt so more info on your type & mounting would be useful.

Your car looks great by the way.......those stripes :wub:

The "ET light" is correct for US spec cars.. was not available on Aussie Delivered cars.. I would give it a miss.. my 84 has never had a third brake light but from 86 onwards they where available on 911's

The spoiler is painted in body colour, masked up and then shot with a couple coats of black.. ( I will measure my wing tonight for specs)

Thanks Smule, the picture is coming together.  I'm thinking 84, 85 & 86 didn't have the "ET" light on the standard Carrera wing, turbo styles are the exception.  Your measurements will be of great interest.

I measured an 86 wing today and found it was 12mm top and sides with 24mm at the bottom.  No 3rd light.

Red3.2 (Steve), I noticed from an old pic you have the extra light.  Is you car Aus del?  Given you have an 87 car, maybe this is where the 3rd light came in as standard.

You've got me thinking LED now C-Monkey.  Can you recall where you got yours from?  I've heard some heat up and melt so more info on your type & mounting would be useful.

Your car looks great by the way.......those stripes :wub:

they are both off the shelf items from hella or whoever, could get them at autobarn or similar i believe. mine is attached to the top of the rear windscreen with a good adhesive, the cord runs under the headliner. you can see it here

94omg3x.jpg

the square shaped one on the 964 is a more solid looking item, will grab a photo when i can.

My 3.2 ('84) has the 3rd brake light on it, although looks like it's been resprayed just on top at some point so that might be when it was added. Strange as my car is otherwise fairly original.

I think they go much faster with the 3rd brake light, and command much higher prices!

Red3.2 (Steve), I noticed from an old pic you have the extra light.  Is you car Aus del?  Given you have an 87 car, maybe this is where the 3rd light came in as standard.

Hi Peter,

Yes mine is an Aus delivered (Hamilton's),  not keen on the third light but as i use it in Melbourne traffic now and again would rather be safe than sorry.

​Happy to measure  up the tail for you but it has been resprayed sometime in it life and not sure how accurate it would be.

cheers

Steve.

I was speaking with the owner of my old '86 Carrera last year which had the ET light. He said he did some research on it and found out the light was an option for Aus delivered cars in '86 and was very rare. My '89 also has one. It's a TL but I'd be surprised if they only fitted them as standard to the TLs and not the narrow bodies.

By the way, good on you. I'm not a fan of the Turbo tail on the narrow body but unlike the purists, I love the Carerra tail on rather than no tail. Looking forward to some photos

Hi Peter,

Yes mine is an Aus delivered (Hamilton's),  not keen on the third light but as i use it in Melbourne traffic now and again would rather be safe than sorry.

​Happy to measure  up the tail for you but it has been resprayed sometime in it life and not sure how accurate it would be.

cheers

Steve.

Thanks for the feedback Steve.......would be interested in the bottom edge mask width if you get a chance.

I was speaking with the owner of my old '86 Carrera last year which had the ET light. He said he did some research on it and found out the light was an option for Aus delivered cars in '86 and was very rare. My '89 also has one. It's a TL but I'd be surprised if they only fitted them as standard to the TLs and not the narrow bodies.

By the way, good on you. I'm not a fan of the Turbo tail on the narrow body but unlike the purists, I love the Carerra tail on rather than no tail. Looking forward to some photos

I was planning on posting pics Simon but can't get past the OK button on the forum page after I paste the attachment.  Tried Photobucket, Flykr and clearing the cache, no luck :angry:.  Will keep working on it.

Sorry for the off topic people. Peter, in Flickr, select your photo, select More ways to share button, select Grab the HTML/BBCode, select the size photo you want displayed on the forum, select the BBCode dot, highlight the URL code in the box just above and right click copy, paste the link directly into the reply on PFA, voila. Preview post to confirm it worked.

Sorry for the off topic people. Peter, in Flickr, select your photo, select More ways to share button, select Grab the HTML/BBCode, select the size photo you want displayed on the forum, select the BBCode dot, highlight the URL code in the box just above and right click copy, paste the link directly into the reply on PFA, voila. Preview post to confirm it worked.

I think I have the right procedure Simon, just the forum isn't bringing over the link from copy.  I can copy the link into a word doc but it wont come through to the forum page.

Tried just typing in the long direct link by hand:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/1stepo69/32Carrera001 zpsc816fcf2.jpg Still a problem

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/1stepo69/917-1969-06 zps846ef091.jpg This was a new pic uploaded today and still an issue.

When going in to edit a post, I can't even copy and paste original text .  I can copy post text into a word doc, but not back into the post :angry:

I have a problem when I paste a link and the forum automatically turns it into a hyperlink - and then I can't get the image tags around it to work

I found a backspace at the end of the line kills off the hyperlink then it works

if copy/paste isn't working it might be a browser security setting (I know a get a prompt sometimes asking if I give permission for access to the clipboard)

Your photo you posted isn't in photobucket anymore. My instructions were for flickr not photobucket. In Photobucket, double click the photo to bring it up. On the right, click the Direct Link URL (it will automatically copy it so there's no need to right click. It should flash "copied" when you click it) Go into PFA reply, (I use "reply more option" not quick reply) select the Image icon and paste the URL into the pop up box.

Here's one of your photos with tail on.

ssw911_2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wahoo! now that I can post pics again, shot of the current turbo tail on the 3.2.

Going in for re-spray and fitting standard Carrera tail next week. (Anyone interested in a black turbo tail with diffuser and steel deck lid?)

No ET brake light planned, on the search for a nice discreet LED for the top inner rear window.

9a90f378-6793-470d-8afb-40b2a32705d7_zps

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and purchased a standard 3.2 Carrera tail to replace the turbo tail that's been there since I bought the car (sorry Wasser).  Been pestering a few PFA members to gather information and now have the correct period tail that will need to be repainted.

I still have a few minor details to work through and would appreciate any comments from those that can help:

• going with satin black on the tail louvers (heads up from VAS) unless someone has more specific info.
  • the satin black is masked just outside the louvers.  When I measured the turbo tail and the new Carrera tail, I'm getting variations in the distance masked, from 12mm up to 19mm respectively.  Anyone got a standard 3.2 tail that could confirm masked gap width on top, bottom & sides?
  • also interested to know if your tail was masked with louvers or body colour painted last (you can feel this from where the tape was removed, sharper edge on masked surface).
  • will be spraying the inner rectangular wire mesh while I'm there, thinking it looks matt black unless I get told otherwise. 

And lastly; something I'm pondering, the turbo tale has the "ET" 3rd brake light and I'm not sure if this was ever standard gear for a 3.2 Carrera?  I like the thought of improved safety given the standard lights are pretty average (a new mini looks big from a 3.2 rear mirror, don't want an SUV up my @ss).  To fit the extra brake light, I just need to drill three holes in the new lid and best considered prior to paint.

I suppose the three options are:

1. new tail with only the two bumper brake lights (safety issues but cleaner lines & possibly more original?)
  2. add the "ET" brake light to the new tail (some don't like Porsches design, but I'm used to having it there and it's where I'm leaning)
  3. optional cabin LED technology ( I wouldn't consider having LED headlights on an 85 car, so not too keen on an LED brake light).

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated :)

What  ever you do don't even think about putting that ugly ET brake light on the car.

If you are thinking of adding one of them you may also want to consider placing a reflective Elvis from his Las Vegas fat white jump suit period in the rear window.

Still readily available form Vic Market if deciding to go ahead with it.

Dave

Dave

Agree : No ET! Some of the excrescences on 911s are an abominable desecration of the pure form.

..including hose headlight washers , right up there with those wiper clip ons that used to be all the rage.

The rear fog lights , the fat arsed merican bumpers.

I will forgive the bumper accordions; they didn't have much choice at the time.

Archived