New Cayman

Orion03

So I took my 997 into PCM today to get the passenger side door handle looked at, it doesn't return properly

I got a new Cayman as a loan car!

Nice. 

1) it's a PDK.... haven't driven one of those before, actually I should take it out for a longer drive lol I was driving it in full auto and must try the manual modes

2) the engine shuts off when you stop ! I almost shit myself the first time I stopped at the lights and the engine died, I was like what? what? Oh engine stops at lights. lift off the brake and engine starts again smoothly.

3) parking sensors forwards and rear ! and a nice display in the LCD too.

4) LCD display in dashboard is so modern, the 997 LCD really shows it's age more then anything else in the car.

5) gave it a boot full and she didn't go as hard as my 997. But then this is not the Cayman S version.

6) no normal Key, just a lump of plastic with buttons that you shove into the ignition, oh it's in the shape of a car... cute.

Hmmm I have a Cayman in my garage..... Let's take it out! Hmmm lets go to King Lake!

But alas after a lot of driving I have to say... Where did the power go?

For example, I am in sports mode, full auto, first at the lights. Light turns green, I floor it. Lots of noise, lots of revs.... But but why is that Subaru impreza sailing away from me?

Sigh, seems like the engine and gearbox couldn't decide on what to do leading to nothing happening off the line for a long time!

I know I can use launch control .. But that's quite anti social been at 7000rpm at the lights.

So nice chassis but needs more power and for the pdk to match it better, also... They should gear it down a bit more to get more thrust from lower down.

Problem is lack of go in first.... The shift itself is amazingly quick and smooth but the lack of go in first is a real let down.

All variations of manual mode, auto mode, sports, sports + was tried. But no launch control as I though that was too much for public streets.

Problem is lack of go in first.... The shift itself is amazingly quick and smooth but the lack of go in first is a real let down.

All variations of manual mode, auto mode, sports, sports + was tried. But no launch control as I though that was too much for public streets.

Well sounds like it's lucky you didn't buy one of those then isn't it?  

:P

Sounds like every dual clutch system I've ever used...manual forever!!

The Evo X takes of like a bullet(without using launch control), as I would have expected with an AWD, and the gear changes are like lightning, so I like dual clutch personally on this car. Not having driven a Porsche with it I have no idea what they are like, but dual clutch's can work great on some cars

no idea if it's standard as this loan car was very optioned up, sports chrono, pdk, front and rear sensors, engine stop at lights etc etc

a lot of electronics...... is this a car or a computer?

:)

yeah something to do with the PDK and the match to the engine as when I drove a Cayman Manual previously it didn't strike me as been so bad.

Bloody modern cars are driven by software!

It's a Cayman not a 911 so perhaps it's simply you've had a lot more experience and are used to driving your 3.6? 

It's a Cayman not a 911 so perhaps it's simply you've had a lot more experience and are used to driving your 3.6? 

I drive a 991 and fell in love with the Cayman at the Level 2 Porsche Driving School. I would take a Cayman if I didnt need 4 seats....................

No, as when I drove a Cayman Manual previously it wasn't like that.

And it's not just because I am used to my 997 now, since my Elise was easily as quick as my 997, and quicker off the line. So it's not like I've gotten use to my 997 since I drove a Cayman Manual.

also... a Mazda 3 and a Subaru Impreza pulled 30-40 meter ahead of me from a standing start.

hang head in shame.

And from what I've read on rennlist now, I should have gently rolled on the throttle, apparently the PDK gets confused with a full throttle off the line thing.

Still ... the software is driving the car .... don't know about that.

Also when in "manual" mode, if you stomp on the throttle in 3rd gear it'll shift down to 2nd.... huh... I thought it was manual mode? I thought I was in control?

As others have said, maybe it's just getting use to PDK etc..... yeah I can see that, but I do like the simple things like a manual shift. We shall see in the future..

When I get an Electric car.. it'll have no gears at all... !  And oh it'll probably drive itself too !

So with all VAG double clutchers there is a switch under the pedal so if you mash it, it will down shift and the PDK does it in manual mode as well.  The thing with these types of boxes is that they learn as you use them to adjust to the way you drive the car, take a few '000km for the car to adapt correctly.

Having lived with 50km commutes in my cars each way through the middle of Sydney for a few years all with double clutchers (DSG, S-tronic and now PDK) whilst in certain situations and manual box would be nice in 99.9% of cases I love the ease of shifting from cruising in 7th at 60km to mashing the peddle and going into hyperdrive or reaching the paddles for a burst of fun or switching to manual for a real run on the track or in the country. 

As for the cayman, haven't driven one yet, never had the time, but I've never had any issues with these types of boxes all the way back to my Mk6 GTI, and mashing at the lights from a standstill cant say I've ever had a feeling of 'well that was a bit lack luster' so not sure what happened for you Orion.

O and not sure about software driving the car, in proper manual mode a quick double tap or in some cases triple tap of the right paddle and down you go, not a massive difference to clutch in etc although you can leave it a bit later and there is less chance of of-balancing the car if you get it wrong I guess so in that respect yes its a difference beast.

Hi Orion,

I have driven 5 different Cayman/Boxster PDK's (987 & 981) both on the street & track, all of them went like scalded cats either in auto or manual mode. I think they must have lent you the loaner lemon, see if you can get another loaner & have another go. Good luck.

Archived