PELICAN PARTS USA

Good morning all, I am wondering if any one out there has purchased parts from PELICAN PARTS in the states before. I have just ordered some front and rear pads for the Coxster but they have asked for a copy of the credit card I have quoted and photo i.d. as I am a new customer. Has anyone else supplied this and if so was there any problems.

Thanks, Bathurst about to start, hopefully a good race coming up.

Regards,

Niko

Hi Niko,

I have used Paragon Products for parts (photo not required) and have had good service with insurance and choice of cost shipment plus tracking.

Just ordered Strut brace, sway bar brackets and Caliper adapters. Arrived within a week.Good time to purchase with the Dollar parity!

Cheers, 9Fan.

Good morning all, I am wondering if any one out there has purchased parts from PELICAN PARTS in the states before. I have just ordered some front and rear pads for the Coxster but they have asked for a copy of the credit card I have quoted and photo i.d. as I am a new customer. Has anyone else supplied this and if so was there any problems.

Thanks, Bathurst about to start, hopefully a good race coming up.

Regards,

Niko

Hi Niko , it`s not obvious but if you look at the payment options you can pay Pelican with Pay Pal

easiest way by far .

Hey Niko,

Pelican are great, good comms, prices are competitive, just watch the shipping cost, they tend to be careless with their billing but they respond quickly when queried about that, I have used Pelican for the last 4 years, don't recall having to provide c/card verification but may done so have so then. Paragon were sold to Eklers in Florida last year and their service dropped off. Have not used them since. Their special offers are some times worth a look.

Regs

rEd

Same experience as Red, good competitive service and quick arrival of parts. If concerned give them a phone call, they are very approachable ( and a day behind us - a late afternoon call should catch them in the morning there).

You can also track the progress of your parts and they keep you informed.

Cheers

Paul M

Hi niko,

Yep I had to jump through hoops with copies of credit card and photo I'd as well..

All worked out though and I have no trouble recommending them.

Lying on couch watching Bathurst. I go for team blue but hope lowndes wins...

Cheers

Chris

I've used pelican a few times now and can vouch like the rest for them ... c/c auth may be a bit of a pain, but they're just trying to protect from fraud ... they are excellent with service and email response though!!

Getting the hint Ian?! ;):P:D

Likewise I've found PP to be very professional and quick, and with the AU$ as it is...... its got me thinking about those SSI Heat Exchangers that earlier 911s love...

All the best mate,

Kerry

Hi Niko,

I have used Paragon Products for parts (photo not required) and have had good service with insurance and choice of cost shipment plus tracking.

Just ordered Strut brace, sway bar brackets and Caliper adapters. Arrived within a week.Good time to purchase with the Dollar parity!

Cheers, 9Fan.

Thanks very much from everybody. Appreciate the advice and comments. Overwhelmed by the response. I will supply the details and hopefully have some new pads in the near future.

Thanks again to all.

Happy to help,

When you get your order compare the shipping cost detailed on the invoice (They call it a Bill of Sale) with the cost on the Customs Declaration - the amounts should be the same.

I was overcharged US$22 odd on my last order but they refunded me promptly.

Cheers

rEd

Was a good win to the Lowndes/Skaife team.

Hi Nico,

I like the others have also used PP for years and in fact have even been to their operation in California.

They are very straight and usually easy to deal with.

I have had my issues with the cost of shipment and have previously discussed vigorously with Wayne Dempsey the owner of PP.

He is unrelenting and there is only one way, his way. I couldn't say that they are a friendly company to deal with but they are very straight so do not be concerned about doing business with them.

Knowing your background you must be familiar with the multitude of scams that are going on over there I don't blame them for wanting to check your validity before doing business for the first time.

Try to avoid doing business with anyone on the East Coast though there tends to be more shifty companies operating out of there than the West Coast.

Vertex in Miami are also pretty good to deal with and the complete opposite to PP. They are funny blokes and very welcoming when you visit, not something you can say about PP.

However PP have all their inventory well laid out and accurately described but they do get a bit heavy with the shipping charges.

Make sure you always choose a USPS option don't go anywhere near UPS or Fedex they border on the criminal.

USPS by the way is "United States Postal Service" if you are unaware.

The only time you may have to use a service other than USPS is if the parcel size is very large.

I would choose the Paypal option though just as Steve suggests.

Attached are some images of the welcoming friendly face of PP. These were incidentally taken during business hours. The attitude of those working there is about as warm

Dave

Happy to help,

When you get your order compare the shipping cost detailed on the invoice (They call it a Bill of Sale) with the cost on the Customs Declaration - the amounts should be the same.

I was overcharged US$22 odd on my last order but they refunded me promptly.

Cheers

rEd

Was a good win to the Lowndes/Skaife team.

Thanks for that, Sorry about my late reply. I have now dealt with them and recieved my Disc pads. Since then I have now ordered a Carbra and I have to say the customer service department Glenn and Judy were very very helpful.

Hi Nico,

I like the others have also used PP for years and in fact have even been to their operation in California.

They are very straight and usually easy to deal with.

I have had my issues with the cost of shipment and have previously discussed vigorously with Wayne Dempsey the owner of PP.

He is unrelenting and there is only one way, his way. I couldn't say that they are a friendly company to deal with but they are very straight so do not be concerned about doing business with them.

Knowing your background you must be familiar with the multitude of scams that are going on over there I don't blame them for wanting to check your validity before doing business for the first time.

Try to avoid doing business with anyone on the East Coast though there tends to be more shifty companies operating out of there than the West Coast.

Vertex in Miami are also pretty good to deal with and the complete opposite to PP. They are funny blokes and very welcoming when you visit, not something you can say about PP.

However PP have all their inventory well laid out and accurately described but they do get a bit heavy with the shipping charges.

Make sure you always choose a USPS option don't go anywhere near UPS or Fedex they border on the criminal.

USPS by the way is "United States Postal Service" if you are unaware.

The only time you may have to use a service other than USPS is if the parcel size is very large.

I would choose the Paypal option though just as Steve suggests.

Attached are some images of the welcoming friendly face of PP. These were incidentally taken during business hours. The attitude of those working there is about as warm

Dave

Again please accept my humble apologies in being so late in getting back to you. I will also keep VERTEX in mind in future. I have been ver impressed with their service so far but I agree the freight charges appear to be a bit heavy. Still with the way the Oz Dollar is going at the moment, I am happy with that. Still a great saving

Regards and thanks again, Niko

Hi Nico,

There is really nothing wrong with their service or the actual company it is just that they are a miserable bunch of pricks in real life, or that is how I found them on my two visits. Maybe there was a death in the office that day but I somehow doubt it.

Glen is a reasonable bloke but he doesn't work in the El Segundo office and catch the misery bug.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I also have Pelican Parts for some time and agree with other users, good service and genuine parts. The only issue I have had was with an aftermarket product. Also as stated before the carriage is expensive. There are also some good UK distributors about.

Cheers

Christopher

• 2 years later...

Mate,

Pelican Parts are great. I have purchased numerous bits and pieces. The parts are genuine or OEM. They have great staff that will assist with questions. Also the manuals they have are excellent. My mechanic has used my Pelican manual heaps with my Boxster and reckons it is the best and has saved time, which for me relates to money. Check their web site, they have heaps of gear and some cool accessories. Never had an issue with them. Recently purchased a water pump (Genuine.) heaps below Aussi price and supplied thermo housing and gaskets inclusive....Terry

We are normally in the USA every 2yrs for a holiday & I always purchase a few things from PP. Yes they do not appear to be a happy bunch. No you cannot browse for parts, unfortunately. You need to order in advance even if you are the the USA. Quote a pick up day & pre pay & they are waiting for you.

Imagine if it was like a supermarket, get your trolley & go shopping...........

Mate,

Pelican Parts are great. I have purchased numerous bits and pieces. The parts are genuine or OEM. They have great staff that will assist with questions. Also the manuals they have are excellent. My mechanic has used my Pelican manual heaps with my Boxster and reckons it is the best and has saved time, which for me relates to money. Check their web site, they have heaps of gear and some cool accessories. Never had an issue with them. Recently purchased a water pump (Genuine.) heaps below Aussi price and supplied thermo housing and gaskets inclusive....Terry

I'm going to (sort of) stand up for Aussie parts sellers here. (And just in case it's not obvious, I am one, so I have an obvious interest in the comment made above.)

Aussie Porsche parts retailers need to realise that the elephant in the room is a pelican. If they can't price fairly, they don't deserve your business. Pricing fairly means that the price of the parts in your hand should be comparable. I think that it's fair for an Aussie re-seller to command a small (repeat, small, not large) premium for two reasons:

1 - Most of what you will want is on the shelf, where a lot of internet sellers order from their suppliers after they have your money in their hands. (Incidentally, this is why you can't browse for parts in person at Pelican.)

2 - Getting an issue resolved is a lot easier for you with a supplier in your own country. What do you do if you're ordering late at night and buy Boxster S front discs for you Boxster?

Mods, if this post contravenes forum guidelines, I will understand if it disappears.

James

We are normally in the USA every 2yrs for a holiday & I always purchase a few things from PP. Yes they do not appear to be a happy bunch. No you cannot browse for parts, unfortunately. You need to order in advance even if you are the the USA. Quote a pick up day & pre pay & they are waiting for you.

Imagine if it was like a supermarket, get your trolley & go shopping...........

Nice to know that someone else has experienced the personal shopping joy that is Pelican Parts. 

I can accept the fact that they have a system going for them but I really don't know why they have to be so miserable about it.

Years on the road taught me that company attitudes usually stem from above and in this case having previously discussed shipping charges with the PP owner there isn't much doubt in my mind where the aloof arrogance stems from. 

Anybody that dealt with a Pacific-Dunlop owned company back in the day will understand exactly what I mean.

I remember the first time I visited PP I rolled up to make a simple purchase of a spare clutch cable for my car.

I receive the grim look of disdain as I waved through the locked door which was eventually opened.

PP  Yes.

DW  I want a clutch cable for my 911 please?

PP  Has been ordered?

DW  No.

PP  You should have ordered it.

PP No attempt at pleasantries, like the usual american friendly question. That's a strange accent are you from Australia?

DW  OK, I will order it now.

PP  No, you can't do that. 

DW  Oh, I'm catching a plane to Australia tonight.

silence

DW  Well how can I order it.

PP  You will have ring the PP contact number.

DW  Can I use your phone? My battery has run out and I have no way of charging it 

Deep in thought for what seemed like an eternity

PP   Well OK, but your're not supposed too.

DW  I'll be quick.

I was then let in to the inner sanctum to use the phone whereupon everyone in the office just stared at me as if I was from another planet.

I can hear some of you giggling now. Be quiet.

I ring and get Glen on the phone he recognises me immediately.

DW  Hello Glen, It's Dave Webber from Australia.

G  Hi Dave good to hear from you what can I do for you?

DW  I'm in the El Segundo office and I want to purchase a clutch cable.

No problem we can get it to El Segundo by 4PM so you will have to come back and pick it up.

DW  Alright I will be back after 4. Thanks.

G  Talk to you soon thanks for the order.

My interaction with Glen is over and has been exactly as it should be.

DW  OK, Glen says to come back after 4 and pick it up. thanks for the use of the phone.

Another long walk across the office with no smiles or eye contact. I was let out the door and heard it lock behind me.

Well that that was an experience.

4:30 PM

I arrive at PP to find I'm standing behind a local motor mechanic [technician in America speak] who's in the middle of being berated for bringing an incorrectly supplied  BMW alternator by PP back in the wrong box. This fellow had  obviously had dealings with them before and copped it on the chin until the door was shut He turned to me and said " I don't like these people but they are handy for my boss so I have to come here. We both had a laugh at their expense. Incidentally he did ask the perennial friendly question. What's your accent, are you Australian? PP eventually appeared back with another alternator for my new friend but would only hand it over after he promised to bring back the original box. He Leaves. My turn.

PP  Yes.

It was the same person that let me in to order the cable in the first place

DW  I've come to pick up my goods.

PP  What was it? 

Jeez i didn't realise I had changed so  much in the 5 or 6 hours since I was in the office

DW  A 911 clutch cable.

PP  Wait there.

PP person disappears behind closed doors to retrieve my cable. Then reappears with the goods.

PP  Is your name Webber?

DW Yes [i learn quickly short answers are best here.]

PP.  Sign here.

DW. Thank you.

PP.  OK

Door closes, I depart with my goods happy in the knowledge that I wont have to pay $45 postage on a $70 item.

This whole experience reminds me every time I think about it of the "Soup Nazi" scene from Seinfeld and luckily always makes me laugh.

I learnt from this and now order first.

Dave

Great topic, guys.

Mods, can we please move this to the Trader feedback thread or something like that.

Sorry to always ask, but if we don't move things as they come up it is going to be mess in a few years.

+ it makes it easy for new members to find things if they are in the right section.

Just trying to keep the forum tidy.  :)

Dave, thanks for the most entertainment I've had all day.

Problem is they carry just about everything!!!

Yep, I agree and I will still use them when convenient whether I like them or not.

The phone sales people are fine if you need to talk to anyone.

I suspect they are working from their own offices or home on some sort of commission arrangement. 

Dave

Dave

Great topic, guys.

Mods, can we please move this to the Trader feedback thread or something like that.

Sorry to always ask, but if we don't move things as they come up it is going to be mess in a few years.

+ it makes it easy for new members to find things if they are in the right section.

Just trying to keep the forum tidy.  :)

Vas...I've moved it to "Suppliers, Workshops, Products etc"...seemed to be the most appropriate forum.

Archived