GT2 has landed in WA

The GT2 arrived in WA Thursday, and was released from captivity into my hands on Friday. No advice from CEVA, despite my calling them and emailing them during the process to make sure I was kept up to date, and in spite of their promises to call me when it was ready. It was parked out the front of their depot, filthy, and in the sun. Might as well have been a cheap Hyundai. So much for the Race And Prestige Transport service at great expense!

The good news. It's undamaged, and it will wash up ok.

Off to my mechanics for a check over. All good. Quick decision, so no washing for now, just get it home in one piece after five weeks of anxiety.

Off to Margaret River. Driving impressions? From the moment you set off, and until it's up to 1800revs or so, you could be driving any modern car. It's manageable around town, but very tight. Not suited to rough roads but manageable. A sharp drive, and when you lean on it it turns into something very special. This car has a great rubber band, it just keeps pulling.

The 315 kms home gave me an opportunity to ease in to the car. One thing I was starting to notice was a slight weave as you decelerate from a decent speed, let's say 160 or so. Eminates from the rear end. I've noticed it before on 911's that need some rear toe in, so no matter I'll get that sorted, I think to myself. Everything else is rather splendid indeed, and I'm very happy with my decision. The car is optioned exactly how I would have ordered a new one, with red gauges, multifunction wheel, red belts, and the Zbose sound system. Perfect in white, just perfect.

On getting the GT2 home, and contemplating the design, I noticed that the new Pirelli P Zero left rear tyre is mounted backwards (or inside out). That explains the weave, so it's off to the tyre shop to get that sorted. Other than that the car is perfect. The 3m Stoneguard isn't noticeable and apart from one small section on the left rear arch lifting, has sealed itself well.

Managed to sneak a Sunday morning coffee run in with the local Porsche mafia. What a thing to drive it is. I've had some fast 911's but this is something else. It's so relaxed in it's power output, and it just pulls like nothing else I've driven. I thought my 996 GT2 was quick, and it was, but this one is just so refined in comparison.

An amazing car, and one I would drive any distance in. I'm looking forward to trying to wear it out over time. Thanks to those of you who have followed this little adventure through the other thread, and I'll keep you posted as it unfolds. The photo upload is still causing strife so no photos for now. I'll try to get that sorted and if anyone knows now to conquer the IPad/photobucket comparability issue please let me know.

Regards

Congratulations Simon and good to hear the car isn't damaged. Pity about the service but I guess that's something we're used to in the West..

We're all looking forward to the photo's. No pressure!! :)

Wow Simon... what a fantastic journey this has been to watch.

Congratulations, the car sounds absolutely splendid (tyre on backwards WTF???)

Oh email me your pics and I'll put them up if you like?  amandagwatgmail.com

Cheers!

Yes it would be sad not to be pleased with my precious little collection. I'm always surprised and grateful that I've got these gorgeous Porsches. I'm only the current custodian after all, and like everything in life, I could choose to spend the money on other things I suppose, but what could give me the same satisfaction, and sense of reward for hard effort? They have an intrinsic value to me (and you all, clearly)

Wendy says yellow is the new black, since she got her Cayenne, but I think the white GT2 suits it's character, and red certainly suits the Turbo.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'll keep trying to share the ride.

The GT2 is very nice! Is the Cayenne a PTS order?

Not sure what you mean by PTS but what I can say is that it was a special order car in 2011, which was over $200,000 new, including its $50,000 of options. These were special Sand Yellow paint, Espresso full leather interior, tow bar (unused), glass sliding and lifting sunroof, carbon fibre interior pack, LED interior lighting, Servotronic steering, 21" wheels, Bose stereo system, multifunction wheel, diff locks, PASM, and whatever else. Curiously no heated seats, much to Wendy's chagrin. Happily she loves the car, as do I.

Archived