Do you travel much for work?

Guest Harold

Guest Harold

I was thinking today, as I booked yet another ticket to our Perth office that I must have done millions of kilometers in planes over the years, lord knows how much I have spent on travel. Having said that I am getting too old to keep doing it.

I truly hate people that want to talk to me when I travel. I sit at the front of the plane but always seem to get the person who wants to share their life with me. Whenever I am asked what I do and why I am traveling I say I am an undertaker going to pick up a body, that usually shuts them up.

Do you travel much? If so what annoys you the most?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that people who travel for work mostly don't like doing it, on the other hand I have never had to travel for work.

I have friends that travel mostly around NSW for work and are always moaning, it's gotta be better than looking at the same four walls everyday.

I know there are sacrifices but it would be interesting meeting lot's of different people, wouldn't it?

I use to but i'm back to a nice 25min drive to and from work.

I have done

• 4.5 years traveling 3hrs round trip - Newcastle to Sydney every day
  • 18 months fly in fly out to New Caledonia with a 2hrs drive on each side of the 3hr flight
  • 2 years of fly in fly out to Moranbah (2hrs west of Mackay)

The most annoying thing was delayed flights for me. Nothing worst than sitting in an airport for 4hrs while they fly another plane in to take you home.

I know there are sacrifices but it would be interesting meeting lot's of different people, wouldn't it?

For me I travelled and saw the same four walls and the same people. FIFO money makes it worth it looking back but at the time I was over it after a few months. There is nothing better than your own bed but what I missed most was my own shower. I can't stand poor water pressure or water saving shower heads.

I travel overseas 3 or 4 times a year to all over Asia. Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, China, Sri Lanka and Germany mainly. Been doing it for 15 years and filled several passports in that time and about to fill another before it's due.

The worst thing is the waiting in airports. I hate to think of the number of hours spent just waiting. Certainly the last 5 years or so it's at least productive now with being able to access remotely via IPads etc but I still hate the waiting.

Have met some interesting folks but must admit as I get older I stick my head in a book or watch a movie as soon as I can. The best thing I bought was a set of Bose Quiet comfort 15 noise canceling headphones. Blocks all the white noise and makes it possible to almost sleep :)

Oh and there is no place like home and boy do I feel fortunate to have grown up and live in Australia!

Our factory is 5 min down the road. So not far at all!

In aeroplanes, I like to take my Dj headphones along with me (sennheiser hd25-II) Best for blocking out any noise. Very comfy when you've got your head leaning :)

14 years of travelling to Darwin

Travel involved a 4 hour drive to Newcastle, then fly to Brisbane, wait 4 hours then red eye to Darwin, 8 weeks on, then……. red eye to Brisbane wait 2 hours then fly to Newcastle then drive 4 hours home for two weeks and do it all again.

(Miners that whinge about their 4 on 4 off FIFO doing it hard, being away from home, on big money, don't know how good they have it !)

Priority on the red eye was sleep, trying to avoid screaming kids and people with flu.

…...and have met a lot of interesting people along the way.

I once had to go to a meeting from my usual desk at 80 Collins Street to 530 Collins Street...  geez it was a long trip, and we even went across the road and got a coffee and donut from Krispy Kreme on the way back!

My last employer had me working full weeks in Dandenong for a year.

I live on Canberra but refused to move. They recruited me in Canberra, not Melbourne.

Previous to that I was in the airforce. Some of you may know what that means with respect to travel!

I love to travel for work generally. Have a job that is 100% Canberra now and sometimes miss the travel.

Yes plenty.. I try to avoid it, sick of it!! business/qanats lounge DO actually become old! :lol: but sure beats sitting around a terminal! :)

I'm between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth then there is the USA & Asia which are only annual trips.

So in short what annoys me the most is the travel its self

Yeccchhhh - God I hate those 717's or whatever they are calling the rehashed MD90's..... seriously old airframe with upgraded avionics (glass cockpit) still does not a silk purse make....

6 yrs doing 4/4 into West Africa, then SOuth East Asia (4 yrs) then 4 yrs FIFO domestic (East to West) now living West & still having to travel

Most annoying thing? ground delays pre departure...... airports in general but have been real lucky & never met a bad crew yet in the air (including private travel in the US)

Yeccchhhh - God I hate those 717's or whatever they are calling the rehashed MD90's..... seriously old airframe with upgraded avionics (glass cockpit) still does not a silk purse make....

MD95(717)….Still made of aluminium but :)

At the moment I am traveling about 4-5 times a year, mostly north America although I might be going to Italy in May.

To be honest I don't mind the travel because I have the Bose QC15s and I can get quite Zen about it.  I appreciate the alone-time - I never work on a plane and just use the time to watch movies, listen to music and be alone with my thoughts.  These are the only times I really get to do these things.  I also enjoy getting rental cars and exploring foreign cities and roads, and checking out what people drive in other lands.  Not that I do much of that, but occasionally I find myself somewhere with a rental car and a weekend to go somewhere.

The thing that annoys me the most is other people who can't do courtesy and patience.  If a plane is delayed then there is no point blowing your top.  There is also no need to be rude and shove.  And rude staff.  But that's why I try and avoid that airline that is in the news lately - they all seem to be grumpy al the time, though there is always some gems amongst them.

I know this period of life will not be forever so I try and just enjoy the process and get the best experiences that I can.  I appreciate that modern business hotels in other cities is a far cry from FIFO to dongas.  Not sure how I'd go with that.

I used to not that long ago. A little bit interstate which were usually fun, but mainly interstate WA. I hated it and we usually stayed in crappy motels, so I can empathise with missing your own bed and shower.

Most of my trips were short notice too, which really impacted my personal life.

Nowadays it takes me four minutes to drive to work! I know, I know, I should ride, walk, run etc...

My last employer had me working full weeks in Dandenong for a year.

I live on Canberra but refused to move. They recruited me in Canberra, not Melbourne.

Previous to that I was in the airforce. Some of you may know what that means with respect to travel!

I love to travel for work generally. Have a job that is 100% Canberra now and sometimes miss the travel.

Haha Tit, travel in the Air Force, really, you blue boys tended to stay in one place most of your lives from memory, now posting cycles for pussers that was random travel, it took me 5 years to stay in the same place for more than 6 months....

Moved ten times in nine years. Was in hercs initially - so lapped the country a few times. Christmas Island, Coccos, PNG, Hawaii, Diego Garcia, US (CONUS and HI), Middle East and Africa.  Then I changed jobs - Adelaide, Sydney, Canberra, East Sale...

Was awesome.

I miss it.

Haha Tit, travel in the Air Force, really, you blue boys tended to stay in one place most of your lives from memory, now posting cycles for pussers that was random travel, it took me 5 years to stay in the same place for more than 6 months....

Those of you that do fly internationally regularly, how do you avoid getting sick?

Everytime I go OS, I come back with or get whilst away, a horrible virus of some sort.

The last time we went to the US I did try using some nasal saline, which I think helped.

40 minute train commute each way.  Just enough time to mow through the cryptic!

I start really early and consequently leave really early.  Avoids school children and babies!

15-20 minute commute to work in the morning/evening

normally go to Melbourne once a month (work is only 15 minutes from the airport here, but an hour plus in Melbourne)

• 7am shower, ahhh
  • Brekky on deck taking in the morning and the view from our house. Chat to precious woman.
  • 7:30 Brew coffee
  • 7:35 walk to office w/coffee in favourite cup
  • 7:36 arrive office
  • 7:37 log on to network, etc etc
  • Deal with stuff, get the picture.

The down side is that work follows me everywhere via mobile and Laptop/iPad.

Has not all been that easy, commuted to Tulla Airport for 20 years. 45 minutes of country roads, 'roos, horses, accidents, fog, some times irrational fellow shift workers. Wore out a few nondescript vehicles, spent heaps on fuel. Got sick of driving the same roads but always had to be alert after a few "eye-opening" moments.

More coffee please!

Now I can get out in my favourite car and enjoy driving.

Archived