Do you travel much for work?

Guest Harold

Been constantly travelling overseas for work for 15 years now. In the last 6 weeks I've been to the US twice, Barcelona, Tokyo and Beijing. All separate trips. Last year got a bottle of Penfolds Grange from Mr Joyce for being one of their top flyers. I had at least a dozen gratis first class upgrades on Qantas last year. The staff at the first class lounge in Sydney know me on sight.

I had 35 hotel stays in 2013 - all international apart from 1 night at the Park Hyatt in Sydney with the missus for our anniversary.. it was a fluke I was in town for it!

When the conversation turns to travel I usually tell people "I visit Sydney regularly..."

Thankfully my wife is a fricking rock-star and is incredibly supportive even though she's left to a) work and B) look after the kids and all the other stuff that comes from being a sole parent most of the time. She hates traveling with me as I have such a set routine now that it drives her nuts being dragged through the airport in the fastest possible way. She doesn't complain about the free trips, hotel stays and other perks though. Funny that. :-)

G.

So what are those platinum one dinners like mate? :lol: 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice indeed. The first class lounge in Sydney is the best lounge I've ever been in and the food is right up there - as is the food they serve in first class inflight. I flew United last week (first class) back form the US and the food was utterly woeful. I'm not a foodie, or some sort of princess, but it was really bad. The service was just as bad. United also has the unique fame of having staff twice the age of their planes... and their planes are crusty old 747's... Thankfully they're replacing them with 777's soon... (yes, I know MH370 was a 777!!).

G.

United is an experience!

MH370 - goodness me a plane disappearing, it's pretty hard to fathom in this day and age. As far as conscpiracy theories go, best one I've read is an issue with the satcom aerial connection to the aircraft splitting, causing slow decrease in cabin pressure leading to eventual loss of consciousness, autopilot stops to work and basically it just changed flight path, cutting off comms etc

I've probably screwed that up but it made sense when I read it!

Sorry, that's OT but I couldn't help it, I'm watching this closely.

Oh I hear you all on the United thing... they are a godawful company! :lol:

I done my last US flight with them about 5 years ago and after that said never ever again! Now despite me telling my dad don't fly with them, well he doesn't listen to me much.

See, my dad travels a lot too and the fact he had high status with star alliance he kept using them, but about two years ago they kicked him off a US domestic business class flight (it was a connecting flight SFO to O'hare) because they asked him does he agree to help in the case of an emergency because he was in an emergency row, he simply asked I cant answer till I read the instructions, give me a few minutes.. that was it, the attendant lost it at him and when he talked back they called security to drag him off! Certainly not a way to treat ANY of your customers..... let alone your loyal ones.

needless to say he burnt all those points he had and cut up his membership... :lol:

Very nice indeed. The first class lounge in Sydney is the best lounge I've ever been in and the food is right up there - as is the food they serve in first class inflight. I flew United last week (first class) back form the US and the food was utterly woeful. I'm not a foodie, or some sort of princess, but it was really bad. The service was just as bad. United also has the unique fame of having staff twice the age of their planes... and their planes are crusty old 747's... Thankfully they're replacing them with 777's soon... (yes, I know MH370 was a 777!!).

G.

Ah good to hear! I hope I never get to hold a platinum one card... lol 

Guest Harold

I'm too lazy to solve riddles ;)

No. Way too boring , and you get sick of surgeon's chatting about their mistresses and yachts. But a surgeon cannot operate without my help. Go figure , I like to play riddles  ;)

You are a scalpel?

No. Way too boring , and you get sick of surgeon's chatting about their mistresses and yachts. But a surgeon cannot operate without my help. Go figure , I like to play riddles  ;)

Ooooh......you're the guy that gives everyone those sleepy drugs.

Ahhhh Boeing 717 - like a Porsche, not much fun riding in the back but a Fantastic drive. The sports car of the Boeing fleet and Air Traffic Controls favourite Aircraft for its flexability - " Your No 1 increase speed to the field" !

About 15 years ago i use to be away 100 nights a year (not including day trips) which was great for me.

Club memberships bla bla bla  but shitty for the family.

When the 3 year old daughter sees the suit pack come out  (yes that long ago) and runs to her room crying you know it needs to change.  

Outside of that I can definitely tell you that I am cursed when it comes to travel.  

My best is 11 consecutive delayed flights, friends would ask me when i'm travelling in order to avoid the airport on the same day.

Rule #1 Bose Noise cancelling headphones   B)

The saviour of all that is good in this world.  Even if you are not listening to anything they cut out the white noise and stop people bugging you.

RECORDs :

Try waiting on a taxiway for 7.5 hours before getting a bay, after being on the aircraft for 8 hours (Perth, thunderstorms overhead) !!!!!!!!

Or being pushed back from the bay and finally getting airbourne 2.5 hours later after the pushback tug finally decides to let go of the aircraft.

Guest Harold

In years gone by my jobs have taken me overseas and some of the "memorable" times include:

1. In circa 1979 on a BA flight London to Sydney, we had just taken off from Hong Kong when one of the engines caught fire and the cabin filled with smoke. 14 hours in Hong Kong.

2. In circa 1983 flying from Kaishong to Taipai on an Airlines of China DC3 we hit the tree tops whilst landing. One of the scariest times of my life but as I found out, not an uncommon occurrence.

3. Flying out of Frankfurt in 2008 the plane broke down on the Tarmac, a total of 18 hours sitting in the plane and back in the terminal.

4. In 2006 I flew Sydney to London to get something signed and caught the same plane back to Sydney. Was stuffed for a week.

Had my fill of the caper.

• 7 months later...

What's with the serial seat kickers? 

Travelling a lot you get a little bit of it here and there, but flying back from HK yesterday (just in premium econ) I had 9 hours of it.. despite me asking the woman to stop and eventually giving her a peace of my mind... she even had the nerve to put her feet up on my arm rest (which I put an end to). Some people are very rude, inconsiderate and selfish and just should not travel. A good way to ruin an otherwise pleasant flight. 

Archived