New state of mind following a write off!

Hey All,

Since I was a young man I always loved the 964/993. I've been a long-time lurker here, but have not had the time to sell my old car and participate in any useful way.

Until...

1pm Friday afternoon 3 weeks ago I received a call from the local police station

"Hello...this is constable x, are you aware that your Golf R was involved in a high speed accident last night"

"No officer..what happened?!"

"Well..the car is in a holding yard in Alexandria"

Turns out someone lost control of their car (also a Golf R!) and crashed into mine, which resulted in a total loss..outside my home! I naturally slept through the entire ordeal!

http://postimg.org/image/xvj8oohpf/

So given it was a total loss, I received a cheque to go out and get something else. I'm well aware of the financial implications of a Porsche, but feel i'm finally ready to carry the cost. 

http://www.classicthrottleshop.com/modernclassic14.html

I know the colour is completely outrageous, but I think it's fun and it has had a full rebuild (at 76k when it arrived from HK).

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1990/SSE-AD-741472/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1

Bought from a deceased estate and no receipts..just stamps

I'd love to hear your thoughts for what I should be pursuing sub-50k 

Look forward to becoming an active member of the community here,

J

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

welcome to the forum, the Golf R is a hell of a car! I'm amazed you slept through it though

that 964 is very well priced, I'd get checked out but the guy sounds quite reasonable from his ad

Hi J,

Will the new 911 be kept out on the street as well..................... :unsure:  ;)

Both the cars you have posted look nice; the silver one has been listed for quite some time and not moved. CTS are known for their pricing although this seems reasonable (most likely due to the import & tip).

My thoughts, if your ok with a tip probably worth looking into a 993 as there a few coupes floating around close to the 50k and maybe worth a look for comparison. I really like the 964 but personally would prefer a man but as I am sure you have noticed they dont come up often and are generally more $$$. 

Get out and drive them both, please keep us updated!  :)

welcome and good luck with the hunt

the CTS one is a lovely colour - though be prepared to pay the entry fee, when puchasing through them

the other add, is an odd one - Im buying a car. I have been offered 47k as a trade in, but ill sell it at 47k, while i wait for my new car?

all said best bet is to go view the cars, drive them, take someone who is more knowledgeable than you as a reality check. then do PPI's.

I drive (when they are running :)) early cars, so cannot comment on the values and nuances of the 964 or 993, except to say -  either of these models I would be more than pleased to own.

cheers Michel

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and considered responses!

Yes very unusual re the silver car..he said they would only give him the funds when he takes delivery of the new car and would like the money today, given he isn't using it much. I offered the present value of paying back is mortgage/no insurance payments and seemed pleased with that figure. 

This car is going to be in the garage, though I live on a quiet street and that was really unusual!! It woke up everyone in the neighborhood...except for me!

I took the 964 for a drive at CTS, the auto is certainly a different experience to the manual. Though, it's quite nice for my morning commute and the drive home after a long night at the office. Will I be able to rely on the 964 for a daily?? (stupid question..i know) Going to get them to do a PPI at Carlos, will let you guys know how it goes!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1994/SSE-AD-2240676/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

He seems like a genuine guy, i'm down in Melbourne in a couple of weeks so it might be worth checking out? 

I would be checking out a 993 for sure, see if you can get a go in a manual as well just for comparison - sounds like a tip could suit you with the commute etc. 

Reliable...........? so long as it has been well maintained they are a pretty solid car (keeping in mind its 20+ year old). I'd recommend getting an inspection done on any car your looking at - you'll soon know where you stand.  

Wow - who would offer $47k as a trade-in ??? :blink: I better get in quick to trade in my 993 for $60k 

I have been offered 47k as a trade in, but ill sell it at 47k, while i wait for my new car?

I would also suggest 993, tip or manual, just get a PPI done on it PRIOR to purchasing.

All the best, and welcome.

JUST A NOTE ON THE 964 IN MELB, ITS BEEN ON THE MARKET FOR A WHILE WITH THE SAME STORY LINE

SEEMS THE NEW CAR IS STILL IN THE WINGS......MAYBE 

HOPE IT ALL GOES WELL IN YOUR SEARCH 

Sorry to hear about your R - great car!

That 964 has been for sale a long long long time. It's been in a small bingle during the time it was on the market. It has very little in the way of service history. He's owned the car for a few years and has been getting it serviced by Dick Richey at the mx5 factory in Ringwood. But the only service done has been oil changes.

The seller is a Police man. And is very nice to speak to. I would imagine he's getting a bit over selling the car now!

I didn't look at it as I decided I wanted a newer Porsche.

You could call mx5 factory and ask about the car, no harm.

Juz

Not a lot of people are aware of the sport mode program in the Tiptronic transmission. It can make a difference to how you feel about the car in question, if you know how to drive it properly, so in the spirit of goodwill we spread sometimes to those new at the game, here it is.

As you approach a corner in a sporting fashion, slap the throttle pedal to the floor very briefly (fully and briefly) and it will advise the transmission that you wish to "press on" as they say. It converts immediately to sports mode, whereby it holds the gear you are in through a series of corners if necessary, and only changes up at redline. I can assure you that you will find it interesting, and it can make a seemingly lazy Tiptronic 911 come alive. It's just a shame not many people know about it, especially those who sell 911's, as it makes things much more fun.

Hope you enjoy 911's all the more using this trick. Also don't forget the Tiptronic default take off gear is second, not first, so if you want the rocket launch shove it manually into first, first, if you get my drift. Tiptronics are very tough so don't worry about breaking anything. You won't.

Thank you all for the very helpful advice. I tried to like all the posts, but I've maxed out my quota ha. 

Great trick with the sports mode on the tip, that's very cool!

I've had a hard time finding a decent 993 Coupe at the price, most are Cabs - will keep my eyes peeled.

The 964 at CTS is going in for a PPI today. Service records are good and it had a full rebuild at 80k when it arrived from Honkers back in 2004. The original aussie owner was OCD and wanted to start off with a clean bill of health. I'll let you know how it goes! 

Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you! Amethyst is seldom seen.. hopefully you will not have to go months without enjoying 911 ownership! 

It's refreshing to see a new member and potential owner getting straight down to business (the right way I might add) without giving themselves self induced porsche paranoia!  :lol:

I noticed an AH document in one photo, perhaps contact them and see if you can get some info on the car? That is of course if your not taking it there for PPI.

The colour of the CTS 964 is super so it's a shame the PPI wasn't all great news.  Depending on the findings maybe the price can be negotiated down to make it a more attractive prospect?

Also with the Silver C2 in Melb - Looks like the guy was offered 42,950 as a trade and not 47k as being mentioned.  He claims the dealer price will then go up to 47k when on the lot.  Either way it sounds like some of the other members know a bit about this car.  Lack of service history doesn't exactly help though..!

The 993 you posted really throws a spanner in the works too.  Happy hunting!

Just don't think a 3.2 is a disappointment or a downgrade.

Without sounding like a wanker (OK, I sound like a wanker) I have a 3.2 but could afford much, much more.

I wouldn't sell it for quids.

I suggest 993 over 3.2 if it is your daily driver.

I do like the silver one, but it has been on and off the market for a while.

Ask the owner if someone else has already done a ppi on it first, might save you getting one.

Btw I like silver. Looks good on the 993 (and 901)

Thanks guys.

I usually drive ~10km to work and back and then on the weekends it's up to 100km.

It was just a few small issues, but they all add up in cost and unfortunately I don't have the time/the skills to fix! I've offered to buy the car with the issues fixed, but the seller is not open to it at this stage. Will continue to negotiate, but am not optimistic.

Consensus here and a few local mechanics seems like the 993 is certainly the way to go. I'd love a 3.2, but without an auto box I might be cursing in the bumper-to-bumper Sydney traffic!

I will find out if that 993 has had a PPI. I am down in Melbourne next weekend so will be a good opportunity to have a look at a few.

Really appreciate everything,
Justin

Archived