Increasing speed limit makes roads safer

well that is a very interesting report pity there is no 'proof' with the story, don't understand the logic that raising the speed limit increases the speed of the slowest drivers surely they are going to go at the same speed (well below the limit same as our motorways) possibly because that's as fast as some can go like cranes and heavy vehicles

i.e. Clarkson's theory - increase the limit  (or make minimum speed) ~130 (probably mph) and the lesser motorists will be scared off  <_<

In Germany , the L platers go straight onto the autobahn ; it's kind of sink or swim. Well that was my friend's daughter's experience and she said it was the norm.

People who mostly drive around the CBD are not necessarily competent drivers on the hwy.

major difference is the autobahn in germany is a properly engineered road with a perfect surface and camber, our highways/freeways road quality are crap and would need billions of dollars invested into them to make travelling at higher speeds safe.

now as if the government are going to invest that sort of $$ into making our freeways safer to drive faster!! thats forward thinking and we dont do that sort of thing in Australia

well cars are safer in crash testing, like NCAP. For example, a 1990's Mazda Astina is around 1000kg, while a modern Mazda 3 is around 1400 kg.

But the Astina isn't 5 star NCAP, while the new Mazda 3 is.

So tougher cars that score well in NCAP, loaded with airbags, ABS, traction control, that pushes car weight up.

The HP race of course is separate... sales and marketing? in Germany I see them using their speed and power, in Vic ?

Really for my commute to work, sitting in traffic... I'll be better off in a Leaf....

Back to the article, road safety is about the speed difference between the slow and the fast, i.e. on the freeway, all going 100kmh is safe. but if you get one car stationary on the freeway then there'll be an accident quickly.

Which is also why bicycles are dangerous, they are going 20kmh (slow arse me) in a 60kmh zone so the speed difference is huge. That's why they need a separate lane.

JJ, our roads are the same as anywhere else in the world, similar on/off ramps, the lane size is the same, how do I know, I have a civil engineer friend who has built freeways and major road systems in just about every country on earth.

JJ, our roads are the same as anywhere else in the world, similar on/off ramps, the lane size is the same, how do I know, I have a civil engineer friend who has built freeways and major road systems in just about every country on earth.

thats good but i have actually driven on the autobahn in Germany and it is totally different from our freeways, no comparrison, from trucks being only allowed to drive in certain lanes, to on/off ramp design, to the gradient of the road and also the surface of the road.

I imagine that the autobahn is probably the exception to the rule JJ, some of Europe certainly has outstanding roads, it would be nice if our government would build our roads with a view to the future instead of building only 2 lanes then a couple of years down the track adding in another lane.

I think the argument re speed limits is a bit pointless in Australia. Not because we dont have the roads capable of it or that the government is stupid, we just dont have the respect for each other on the road to allow for the speeds. 

I imagine that the autobahn is probably the exception to the rule JJ, some of Europe certainly has outstanding roads, it would be nice if our government would build our roads with a view to the future instead of building only 2 lanes then a couple of years down the track adding in another lane.

totally agree, look at the ringroad in melb classic example.

I think the argument re speed limits is a bit pointless in Australia. Not because we dont have the roads capable of it or that the government is stupid, we just dont have the respect for each other on the road to allow for the speeds. 

+1

don't forget the ignorance of basic road rules like "keep left unless overtaking" shown by too many drivers in oz.  In Europe generally, people drive on the slower lane unless they are overtaking in the faster lane and the freeways run a lot smoother. They have their problems like congestion at peak times but drivers seem to behave a lot better than here.

In the NT there was "unlimited" speed limit until a change of state government.  They introduced a 130kph max speed limit.  With the drop in speed limit came a drop in the standard of road maintenance.  The road toll increased due to increased fatigue and deterioration of the road.

There has now been another change in NT government who are reintroducing the unlimited speeds but the roads have to be brought up to standard.  Some of the highway north of Alice Springs has been reinstated as "unlimited"

+1

don't forget the ignorance of basic road rules like "keep left unless overtaking" shown by too many drivers in oz.  In Europe generally, people drive on the slower lane unless they are overtaking in the faster lane and the freeways run a lot smoother. They have their problems like congestion at peak times but drivers seem to behave a lot better than here.

ppl are scared to do a few Ks over because that is so strictly enforced, so they spend most of the time driving watching speedo or on cruise but if they focused enforcement on keeping left, then hogging the right lane would become a thing of the past, and the more it started to happen the more ppl would realise how much better it is when ppl do keep left. While there is no consequence for the right hand lane hogs,  why would they move over and use common sense ?

Archived