Over the moon with first porsche....

Wow.... after waiting for so long for the right one to come along, I finally drove home in my first porsche.

It is a 1981 911sc 3.0 litre non sunroof coupe.

She is Australian delivered with matching numbers.

I finally know what true love is.

What a rush driving it for the first time down the freeway. She pulls really hard and fast.

I hope to learn alot about it from the information on here.

Had a scare with the numbers not matching but after checking the number on the engine itself, it turns out that the recorded number with the RTA has been recorded wrong for who knows how many years.

Only had it for a few hours and still can't believe it......

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the well wishes.

I intend to use it for the purpose it was made........ to be driven! So if you are local to the Coast, keep an eye out as it will be out and about.

I would say that it is in above average condition and looks fantastic from afar and close up.

The paintwork is amazing with no blemishes on the exterior (well none that iv'e found yet)

It starts first turn of the key and idles beautifully. It pulls really hard and sounds awsome....

The previous owner had it for 9 years and hardly used it, but if it needed something, it was just done.

After speaking with Porsche and verifying the matching numbers, I did find out that it has had a "change of colour" since delivery.

It left the factory as a "Bamboo" coloured car and has been changed sometime in its life.

It must have been a complete strip as the paint is under EVERY nut and bolt and in EVERY nook and cranny.

My requirements for my 911 were Australian delivery and matching numbers. I got both of those and figure that if need be, it can be returned to the original colour. Would have been a little hard to find the original engine......:)

The previous owner gave me $600 off the agreed price for the inconvenience and the trouble to get the engine number changed with the RTA. He suggested and insisted.....

All in all, I now own a 911 and still find it hard to believe........

The current paint job looks good though I actually really like that bamboo colour, I nearly bought a Carrera in that colour about 5 years ago

going to get rid of the smog pump too?

Thanks Guys,

The current colour is exactly what I wanted, which is why I can live with the colour change.

The price paid was good enough that even if the paint change devalued the car, I still feel that I did well.....

Don't they say that a good deal is when both the buyer and seller are happy? I'm happy!!

Not sure what the smog pump does so don't know if I need to take the belt off..... any further info about pros and cons?

It adds more air to cheat emissions regulations - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

It uses engine power to drive the pump, it's quite rare to see them still on the car in Australia

There's a few threads about it on pelican, there's a plug you buy to insert in the hole that the air injector was in. I think there's even an article in 101 projects or another one of the Wayne Dempsey books

Thanks Smule,

I'm sorry that your friend missed out (but I'm kinda glad he did)

Thanks for the invite Ben..... I might just take you up on that offer. Let me know the details and we'll tee it up.....

Sorry dreamer.

I was the last guy in the secs before who put your price up lol...

But was a good price regardless.

I was abit reluctant due to not knowing if the numbers actually matched.

Well done for coming on top, worked out well.

Hey Black Sheep,

No hard feelings for making me spend more money.........

There a a few small places where you can see the original colour, but thankfully not on the important parts....... the outside bodywork. 

The numbers do match but have been recorded wrong at the RTA. The number on the rego papers don't match the actual number on the block. The number on the engine match the VIN through Porsche.

The seller wasn't aware of this problem as he's never checked either.

He actually gave me a $600 discount for the trouble and was happy for me to pull out of the deal if I wanted to. Once I saw the car and the condition of it, it was mine. 

Sorry you didn't win (nah, not really.......:)

Good luck with your search. At least I won't be bidding against you on the next one.....

Archived