Best sleepers

What a great story from yesteryear, and a great concept long before the current crop of Q cars that exist today.

This is one of the things I love about our new V60 especially since we wanted the non-R design version. 240kw in a mummy wagon and nothing to advertise its performance.

Love it.

Artz was awesome, I see they mentioned the Carrera RS beetles as well, I think he made a few of them

I've got an article somewhere on the build, and you can see where they widen the golf body to fit on the 928

Is there something about a 928 that makes them easy to rebody? I'm thinking of the Mythbusters episode where they took the body off one and turned it around to see if it was faster going backwards.  I remember thinking that looked quite simple (yeah, I know, TV show) just pulling off the body and sticking it on backwards.   For a unitary body car,  I would have thought it was a lot more difficult than that.

I admire the special type of customer who would drop a large amount of money on essentially an inferior car as a golf-bodied 928.

Police in Austria and Germany used to have VW Beetles with Porsche motors, gearbox and suspension all of which was fitted with factory warranty etc.  Meaning you couldn't underestimate VW Beetles on the Autobarn

A good mate of mine Newcastle has a white SV21 camry exactly like the one below with complete groupA ST205 Celica running gear including the 4WD system. Last time I remember talking about it he had just done a little more fettling and was pushing around 280AWKW.

1991-1992_Toyota_Camry_(SV21)_Executive_

That's it my mission is to find my old photos of the sleeper 120Y Datsun I built up and had for about 3 years. Fully stock from the outside save for inter cooler with FJ20 Turbo, fiat 132 locked 4.3 diff off Vince Rigoli's now 7 second Dataun running EMS software. Original steering wheel etc and fully engineered at 720Kg wet this thing hauled.

... Cornering and braking was another thing!

Worth bringing this one up (again) ; I know a guy who has one but basically it's as bad on fuel as that Lambo 4wd with the Countach engine, and of course the cost of classic Benz parts. I do think though that it is vital to keep driving these cars, even one solid burst per week

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3

The engine is such a wicked lump.

MB_W109_6_3_engine.jpgA very cool classic, and your neighbour won't have one!

That's it my mission is to find my old photos of the sleeper 120Y Datsun I built up and had for about 3 years. Fully stock from the outside save for inter cooler with FJ20 Turbo, fiat 132 locked 4.3 diff off Vince Rigoli's now 7 second Dataun running EMS software. Original steering wheel etc and fully engineered at 720Kg wet this thing hauled.

... Cornering and braking was another thing!

Vince worked on my Silvia many years ago, his Ute is just mental!

I prefer it's big brother

mb-450sel-6.91.jpg

Anyone who sees the "6.9" on the back will know it's not a sleeper!

Every time I see a 450 SEL I think of the Skyhooks song "Mercedes Ladies" , the one about the Toorak set ; lyrics hold up well today B) . In the live version , Shirl upgrades the standard lyrics to 450 SEL 

You knew there's only one thing better than a 250S

and that's a 280SL or a 280SE and there's only one thing better

than a 350SL and that's a 280CE or a 350SLC or a 300SEL V8

I object that a 280CE is better than a 350SL though

although on that basis 280SE 3.5 probably qualifies as a sleeper too

I must say I have never felt "threatened" by any Merc from the 70s but perhaps that reflects the owner demographic.

A few young fellas have slammed and airbagged them but they don't understand the power/weight equation.

My shark has the Merc slushbox though. Bulletproof by all accounts.

Archived