Best sleepers

That reminds me of my old mates big Toyota van he had to transport our bikes to the track. It had a turboed Supra motor and box and went like the clappers

Scary thing that was

How about worst sleeper - I get someone might do this for a laugh but to then try to sell for $10k? Hmmm.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-Sunny-1979/SSE-AD-2483059

There was an orange datsun 1200 sedan on carsales for 35k with a 500 rwhp sr20 until recently. Very much doubt it's disappeared because of a sale.

• 4 weeks later...

How about worst sleeper - I get someone might do this for a laugh but to then try to sell for $10k? Hmmm.http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-Sunny-1979/SSE-AD-2483059

There was an orange datsun 1200 sedan on carsales for 35k with a 500 rwhp sr20 until recently. Very much doubt it's disappeared because of a sale.

50k spent on a Datsun Sunny??? Me thinks he is extending the truth a little.

i still think debadged like this the Autech 260 Stagea would make a great sleeper, no one knows what they are - a few basic mods and you can blow the doors off nearly anything

2_0dW0_107.jpg

'71 911  with 3.7 L  modified engine from 996 coupled to G50 gearbox (to handle the power) and close ratio gears.

Literally neck snapping acceleration and easily faster than a twin turbo 911.

Very clean external appearance with only twin rear pipes to hint about what's under the hood.

Also subtle 3.7 grille badge.

post-804-0-55022800-1405434128_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I owned this a few years ago. A Mitsubishi L200

IMG_0437.jpg

This is what was in it!

IMG_0439.jpg

A heavily worked 253 on LPG with Traumatic kitted trans.

I wish I hadnt sold it, as it was the silliest thing I've ever driven. Sideways more often than straight, and it hosed quite a few cars pretty easliy.

I'd buy it back in a heartbeat

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Worth bringing this one up (again) ; I know a guy who has one but basically it's as bad on fuel as that Lambo 4wd with the Countach engine, and of course the cost of classic Benz parts. I do think though that it is vital to keep driving these cars, even one solid burst per week

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300SEL_6.3

The engine is such a wicked lump.

MB_W109_6_3_engine.jpgA very cool classic, and your neighbour won't have one!

6.3 is a gun engine! Very complex and expensive to maintain. Faster than a GTHO phase 3 for a fraction (now) of the cost. Air suspension can be tricky too, but rest is pretty common with a W108 and not too bad to run at all :)

0-100 6.3 and 1/4 mile 14.6

Also "Special build 300 SEL AMG 6.8 litre road race cars

6.8 litre engine fitted (315 kW/428 hp and torque to 610 nm/450 lb-ft), the 300 SEL AMG could reach 100 km/h in only 4.2 seconds and a top speed of 265 km/h."

I object that a 280CE is better than a 350SL though

although on that basis 280SE 3.5 probably qualifies as a sleeper too

3.5 V8 is no rocket, not much quicker than the 2.8 six (just about anything today will out drag these).... these old Mercs handle quite well though!

I love it when people tailgate me and can't see which way I have gone come a corner :)

Archived