Is modifying a classic Porsche 911 sacrilegious

CarreraG50

BJM spot on! mods are fine as long as they are "un bolt able" and the original parts are kept. And this can go as far as engines provided the un bolt able formula is kept.

Only exception to any of this are engine internals as there are tensioner, oil pump, and case strenthening mods to magnesium cases, that for me is a must.

Graeme

Like some I think the car you are modifying matters but the mods that you intend to do matter more.

If they are mods that change the car forever, cutting into the body etc then don't do it.

If they are reversible or simply upgrading the likes of suspenion then go for it.

+1

This how I've treated my SC.  My car started out as a left hooker which was converted by the PO. This left me with a car which is forever in the "modified" category. As such it's value will never be up there with the untouched original cars.  The mods I've made are minor in the scheme of things, done to make it more able to cope with  how I want to use it. (I don 't know of many marques which are so easy to modify like this)  As a road car it was great as it was but I soon became aware of it's limitations.  Seats, harnesses, suspension adjustments, brakes etc. were all changed to suit occasional track use and spirited back road excursions.  If ever I want to return it to standard I have all the original parts. 

I didnt buy it to speculate on its resale. However, so far I estimate what I've spent is on par with it's current value.  I'm happy with that.

No it will burst just after I buy anything.

Oh and you're right I am a terrible influence Jim. If I was a good influence you would have at least one turbo on your car....

You should practice by finding me an affordable short bell G50 :P

BJM spot on! mods are fine as long as they are "un bolt able" and the original parts are kept. And this can go as far as engines provided the un bolt able formula is kept.

Only exception to any of this are engine internals as there are tensioner, oil pump, and case strenthening mods to magnesium cases, that for me is a must.

Graeme

There are obviously a couple of schools of thought here. Some owners want to keep things "factory" and others want to play with some options.

For me, cutting into the metal is off limits, however every other type of reversible mod is a goer.

Especially the type that make them go around corners faster safer.

Comon - Is modifying "A" Classic Porsche sacrilegious ? It doesn't have to be a 911 !!!

And IMO it is better to see them on the road modified and being enjoyed, than to have it original stored away and only looked at.

what about taking a 3.2 out to a 3.4 not really reversible but I still think its in the spirit of the car.....

No-one need ever know about the increased displacement. Unless you believe it adds to the resale.

Archived