Dream a little dream. Have you got time for a little story?

Okay, I'll bite.

I am a car enthusiast, and a dad.

I was also the principal medical advisor to the Roads & Maritime Services of NSW from 2012 to early 2014, and dealt with many complex and tragic matters.

As a young man on the road (age 16-24), your risk of accident/injury/death is 5.5 times that of the normal.

There are plenty of idiots on the road who would see a wide-bodied bright yellow Porsh with P-plates and "I don't give a f*ck" licence plates as a direct challenge to their so-called manhood.

It's hard not to get sucked in to the odd traffic light grand-prix etc, and the air-cooled 911s are not known for their safe handling characteristics.

You've got a beautiful boy, and this or any other 911 would make a great weekend driver for dad/son outings, but probably not the best daily driver for a new and young licensee.

No offence intended, in fact your enthusiasm and obvious bond with Dean makes me think I should try harder with mine!

Best wishes.

Okay, I'll bite.

I am a car enthusiast, and a dad.

I was also the principal medical advisor to the Roads & Maritime Services of NSW from 2012 to early 2014, and dealt with many complex and tragic matters.

As a young man on the road (age 16-24), your risk of accident/injury/death is 5.5 times that of the normal.

There are plenty of idiots on the road who would see a wide-bodied bright yellow Porsh with P-plates and "I don't give a f*ck" licence plates as a direct challenge to their so-called manhood.

It's hard not to get sucked in to the odd traffic light grand-prix etc, and the air-cooled 911s are not known for their safe handling characteristics.

You've got a beautiful boy, and this or any other 911 would make a great weekend driver for dad/son outings, but probably not the best daily driver for a new and young licensee.

No offence intended, in fact your enthusiasm and obvious bond with Dean makes me think I should try harder with mine!

Best wishes.

Its a great story, and congrats on the purchase and the journey with your son is a great one.. hope to have similar experiences with my son as he grows. But I agree with the quoted post. In the hands of a young inexperienced driver.. no abs, no airbags, no traction, the inevitable goading from hoons.. even unwanted police attention.. 

The opposite argument is that stupid kids will kill themselves no matter what they're driving. A kid who's an obvious enthusiast and takes great pride in their car may have a bit more sense and take care on the roads. Send him off on a few defensive driving courses so he knows how the car behaves in an "oh shit" moment. Deans car probably does 0-100kmh in 8 seconds, so he's going to figure out pretty quickly that he's not going to be winning any traffic light drags. Anyway, we're kind of detracting from what is otherwise a feel good story here.

Great story and great looking car, I like the plates too! Your son is a lucky fella! B)

Even though we bond over cars, my dad would never do that for me, I had to buy my own.. even now the old man still thinks I should justify my purchase decisions to him..  I should have bought another property instead said the 60 year old with a 10 sec car in his garage. :lol: .. that call was a bit rich I thought.  :ph34r:

Hey Froggy. Dean said that about the plates. Cant believe its true. Imagine if they meet. That would be funny.

I appreciate Peter's (F3nr15) comments and believe he is justified in adding the topic to this thread. I certainly don't have a problem with it. Thank you.

Dean is going to spend his first three years in this Porsche with the view from the passenger seat. That includes Peak hour traffic, Sunday solo cruises, club runs, track days and that inevitably leads to under the car also. Educate and liberate is my approach. Often kids are influenced by there parents. So I need to set an example for Dean. ITS THAT SIMPLE. 

Dean knows the only place for "that kind of driving" is on the track. He has raced go karts for a couple of years and has no intention of giving it up. Part of that is because I encourage it. Dean knows his turn will come to take that Porsche into a corner so fast and hard that the only way of making it stick is to push that brake pedal so hard into the floor its going to go through it and the car will feel like its defying the laws of physics. If it doesn't stick he ends up in the kitty litter.  You cant get that kind of rush driving on the streets.

Don't get me wrong. We gave the Black Spur a decent enough work out to make us experience what is so great about the Porsche.

As far as the Wide body bright yellow Porsche with IDGAF plates getting attitude on the street from other drivers, it doesn't need to have P plates on it for that. I have had more people tail gate me and cut me off in the Porsche in the 500 klm's that I have driven it than I have had in my 27 years of driving. That's no bullshit. I just pull over and let them speed past heroically and jump back in a few cars behind them. I Dont Give A F*#k.  ;)

Edgy brought up an interesting point. Don't discount the wisdom of our elders though. ha ha . If I only had myself to answer too Id be living in a shoe box with a multi story garage as toy storage. I didn't want to spoil my son. BUT. By showing him first hand that  if you work hard AND smart you can afford to dream. I reckon that's a lesson well learnt.  :)

He has gone seriously underground though!!!!! Hey Dean!! Where r yah????

Probably putting together a shopping list of Porsche goodies.

Great story, really enjoying the read.

I bought mine at 21 and had to work it all out on my own, I scare myself when I recall some of my overly ambitious early experiences. Somehow we both survived (thankfully).

It brings me so much joy to see how my boys react to our cars (and cars in general). I can only hope it continues and I am able to enjoy sharing the interest together for many years to come.

I grew up in the country and again had to work it all out on my own spending much of my youth sliding around grassy paddocks in old bangers, hopefully with the benefit of more directed guidance and education my boys will manage to navigate the roads safely. Although many years from getting their licences I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me - sounds like you have a good thing going with Dean and I'm sure it will be something he'll never forget!

Hi guys thanks for all the kind words, still as excited, shocked and over the moon as I was when i first layed eyes on the car as it drove into the cafe  :wub: .

look forward to meeting a few of you at an SMT and meets, Here are a few of my favourite pics Dad and I took last weekend.

Cheers Dean

P1Szhhi.jpg

EnLvioT.jpg

9DsHJs2.jpg

1qke6gu.jpg

Archived