Dream a little dream. Have you got time for a little story?

Hello.

My name is Chris. I am from Melbourne. 

A lot of newbies come on here and say " I have always wanted a Porsche"

Well I am certainly no different. But there is a twist to my story.

I have always loved cars. ALWAYS!!!

My dad owned a large wrecking yard so I was surrounded by endless possibilities.

Started off with Aussie muscle. RT Charger, HQ Monaro, Drag racing etc etc.

That was late teens/ early twenties. Then I got into little sports cars, Renault, Lancia

for a couple of years. Motorbikes after that, then 4wd's (Jeeps) which even led to a little off road racing.

I then got the Jeep bug and begun a vintage Jeep collection that's still going on. That includes a current build. Blown 47 Willys Hot Rod. There is no lowest common denominator for my taste. My 14 YO son (who has been on this forum for a while now) is into Go Kart racing. We stay up late to watch the Grand Prix. He keeps me up to speed with all the ins and outs of the rules. We go to watch GT's racing from time to time. My heart still skips (stops) every time a Porsche Cup car changes gear at full noise. Bloody scary that is!!!

So a while back My son aged 13 who is blindly obsessed with Porsches asks me, "Dad, there is a Porsche festival on in Sydney,  Rennsport! Can we pleeeeeze go?" Now every time, I mean

e v e r y   s i n g l e   t i m e  without fail I have always done a double take when I see a Porsche on the road. I think every body does. I mean why wouldn't you? Have you seen how fkn beautiful they are???

I never thought though I would ever own one. I just always loved them. Didn't know much about them. So I thought and responded accordingly,"Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun. Why not.". 

Well apart from creating a father/ son bond that i treasure above all else in my life the close up look at Porsche cars that begun for me at Rennsport Festival has led to an extraordinary turn of events for both Dean (my son) and I.

I dont have the room and I dont have the money but being true to my own mantra I told Dean. "If we want a P car bad enough all we need is a plan". So we set out to find a project car because anything that was remotely close to good enough to drive away was just so expensive. Earlier this evening I read through Deans posts throughout this period and they are quite funny. So we find a few projects. They are beyond our level of commitment. They are Targas, They are too expensive, they are too far away, they are too rusty. Just so so so disappointing. 

We found one that was perfect. I would have to sell a project car I had been sitting on for a while to raise enough money for it but it was a nice example. IT SOLD!!!!!

Dean wasnt happy. But he didnt want to compromise his checklist. So he kept scouring the classifieds for the right car.

Every car that came up for sale was now getting knocked back by me. "Oh yeah Dean I called that guy but he said there are a few bits of rust in the floor and the gearbox in noisy". "Oh yeah Dean I left so many messages for this guy but he hast returned my call". I was running out of excuses.

That's because the one that was "perfect" that weeks ago had been sold was in fact bought by yours truly. It was being transported to Melbourne. Straight to our garage where our mechanic would go through the entire car from tip to tail prepare it for registration and road duties. All without Dean knowing a single thing. Cruel I know. 

The entire secret "yellow sapphire" project as it was dubbed with the few people who knew, took about 5 weeks to prepare. 

We planned a big surprise reveal with Dean where I turned up to a coffee shop he was at with the family and his reaction when I handed him a set of keys for when he gets his license all be it in 3+ years away was priceless. 

I only own this car because of my son. I have absolutely no intention of keeping it for a single day longer than I need too once he gets his drivers permit. I will drive the wheels off it in the mean time though. ha ha ha. We go driving on the weekends. Have joined the Porsche club, ordered a Wevo shifter..... started a build sheet!!!!!!!!

OMG what has he started....... 

Its a 1975 S

I need to resize some pics and post them up. 

Look forward to meeting up with you guys on some drives. ABSOLUTELY CANT WAIT>>>

PS. I started a thread on Pelican Parts forum whilst the yellow sapphire project unfolded. (If i did it here he would have seen it and my secret would have been blown) There is a video of the reveal and some pics too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/817026-stuff-dreams-made.html

Hi Chris. Our first child is due in December. Sharing these sorts of experiences with them is what I dream of.

Congratulations to you and Dean and welcome to PFA!

Very nice story.  Welcome to the forum.

I remember ages ago when Dean first started posting and asking about a shell/project.  Members responded, until they realised that Dean was not old enough yet to have a license.  Some members were concerned about his age and whether all posts were appropriate for his reading...and whether he was serious about the shell/project.

I think most members by now will have realised that Dean is serious and also well informed...and soon to be a P-Car owner.

Congrats.

Outstanding introduction! Welcome to our addiction. The place is a big healthy men's shed , and occasionally women are allowed in. But only the special ones who truly understand our problems. 

Your son is welcome to post too , we keep it clean and it's a much saner place than the telly. Cheers  :)

What a wonderful story. Congratulations to you Chris. How terrific to be able to do something like this for and with your son. Treasure every moment....

Look forward to seeing you and Dean along on an SMT. The car looks awesome.

Best wishes to you both

Chris

I read that Pelican thread the other day, never expected it would be someone in Oz.

There is no doubt the Porsche virus is easy to pass from Father to Son.  Sometimes I worry about what I have started  :wacko:   All the Porsche matchbox cars were collected and reserved in a special spot in the toy box.

My old man loved to do these types of tricks as well.  In fact he did the same thing to me when I was 16.  I saved up my cash from working at Woollies to get my first car.  I mean, I worked for years stuffing pay-packets into a big jar before I finally decided to get a bank account.  I was still a bit short though.  He takes me to look at this car.  I wanted it so badly.  He asks me if I have enough cash.  I said no.  We go home.  Crestfallen, and a determination to push twice as many trollies, pack more bags, stack more shelves, hose out more blood and guts from the butchers shop.

Next day it is there in the garage.  "Because you worked so hard, I've made up the difference, and it's yours to start learning to drive as soon as you get your learners permit".   I think I spent an hour sitting in it, just feeling all the surfaces, practicing gearshifts, playing with the controls.

Wasn't a Porsche, though, your son is lucky.  I hope he is responsible though.  First thing I did was straddle a traffic island in the wet and knock over a keep left sign.  Wasn't being stupid, just inexperienced.  Broke my heart, that did, and made the old man hopping mad.  But we got over it and fixed the damage.   You can really bond with your son over things like this.  In fact it's sad when I see kids just get some beater and the parents never even teach them how to change the oil or check the tyres.

Wow! Awesome story. Well done Chris. Thats a moment he will never forget.

I've already given my 2.5yo the sickness. In the mornings I ask him what car do you want to go to school in son? Dad's truck or the Porsche car?

Him almost without fail will say Dad's Porsche car! This requires me to drop him at day care in the Porsche then drive home and change back to my Hilux to drive to work. I'm ok with that as I get to see the huge smile on his face the whole way there while he yells faster daddy faster!

I am so glad I chose to share our Journey.
I was in two minds initially.
Sharing my story makes me happy, because it allows others to share and relive there own stories. 
Reminds us of how we were and why we are. Reminds us to be humble and greatfull 
for everything we have. From material possesions to family, friends and this wonderful country too.
Thank you all for sharing your stories.
I have dreamt of doing this for my son as my father also did for me. 
The twist on my story I guess comes from the fact that Deans 
appreciation for cars was passed down from father to son (as per usual). 
However the passion for the Porsche marque went the other way. From Son to father..
I just loooove driving this car. So no complaints from this end.
He is just as much good fortune for me as I guess I am for him.
Deans early posts didnt phase him. He has a thick skin and a sence of determination that inspires me.
Thats kind of how the number plate came about. Its a funny story and I look forward to sharing that with you guys one day.
He is still to experience lifes hurdles. (insert evil laugh here). As parents we do what we can to guide them and arm them 
with the right tools and attitude to help them trough there own journey. 
Again, thank you for all your positive comments. What an awesome shed....
One very happy Porsche owner.

Warmest regards Chris.

That car looks amazing!!

That's because the one that was "perfect" that weeks ago had been sold was in fact bought by yours truly. It was being transported to Melbourne. Straight to our garage where our mechanic would go through the entire car from tip to tail prepare it for registration and road duties. All without Dean knowing a single thing. Cruel I know. 

My dad did the same thing to me when i found the 944 turbo i'm currently driving. 

But he gave in after a few days and he felt sorry for me as i was still looking for the 944 i wanted. 

"You know that 944 turbo that got sold, the one you wanted"

yeah

"yeah i bought it"

and yes how the F did you manage to get those plates!!!

Archived