WEVO's anyone? Black or blue?

Harvs11

I did a bit of poking around the back of my 911 today trying to find the source of a clunky rattle. I was looking for a loose oil line but It wasn't what I expected.  The vacuum pot on the side of the CIS was touching the shock absorber top mount.  My first thought was the intake box was too far over on the runners but it all looked ok.  So maybe the whole engine had shifted on it's mounts but the mounting bolts were all properly tight and in place.  Closer inspection revealed the transmission mount rubbers had deformed enough to allow the nose of the gearbox to drop causing the touch on the vac. pot.

8DF7EDA7-0007-42FF-8332-64EAFFB0C5DE.jpg

I need new mounts.  

8F3ED5D1-59F3-4526-A0EA-98A1A8794E60.jpg

Has anyone here used the WEVO trans. and engine mounts? Are the harder blue inserts too harsh for street use or am I better off with the softer black inserts?  

The hard compound is not harsh at all. I run the gearbox and rear engine mounts. I can say you will barely notice it. To the point where I thought hmmm maybe I should have went full solid alloy  :P . But my car has full trim and carpet. They are not cheap when you add them all up.

Also have run a set of hard compound OEM ones and they had only a tad more flex than the Wevo's. (I experimented a little to try and improve the shifting in the car). The trick with the OEM at the transmission location is to shim the bush where it meets the subframe of the car so that the contact patch is even and spread out. This gives it a firmer feel.

Thanks for the input fellas.  SC's are pretty raw so a bit more noise thru the floor is a fair trade for betting shifting and a more stable engine/trans.  I could get the harder mounts and see how they feel.  Its easy enough to swap the inserts later if I find I'm more like Mr Porter.

Harv, there are two bobbins (rubber mounts with studs on each side) that support the CIS air box assy, one of mine (inner) was sheared and causing the whole assy to sit/lean down at the rear. There is also one right at the CIS vacuum thingy thar touching your shock mount,might be worth looking at too.

Should be some pics in my engine drop thread..

Harv, there are two bobbins (rubber mounts with studs on each side) that support the CIS air box assy, one of mine (inner) was sheared and causing the whole assy to sit/lean down at the rear. There is also one right at the CIS vacuum thingy thar touching your shock mount,might be worth looking at too.

Should be some pics in my engine drop thread..

Thanks, Mike.  That's worth a look.  This is quickly becoming a WYIT project.  I might as well freshen up the intake rubbers and injector tubes if I pull the CIS out.

Found it.

This one was Ok on mine but the other one had sheared off and the alloy vacuum pipe was rubbing on the grey oil cooler duct, not visible until i pulled the motor out.

As for engine & G/box mounts, i replaced mine with the original ones but the "Sport" version which are apparently stiffer. Half the cost of the Wevo's but not as cool looking and might not last as long.

d52fa12d-0177-49b2-bfc8-63e867c55ecc_zps

Harvs

To help you with your decision, I had a similar experience to Maxzmus, I ended up fitting Wevo blues all round on engine and gearbox 3 years ago. I found them to be fine around town and well as on longer drives to Wakefield Park, Bathurst or interstate.

Any yes, you can get them from Pelican.

D

Has anyone here used the WEVO trans. and engine mounts? Are the harder blue inserts too harsh for street use or am I better off with the softer black inserts?  

Yep, I had the blue ones on my 76

No, they are not too harsh and the little bit of engine/trans noice you get through the cabin is delightful

Bought mine on pelican from memory

This week I had a good look round the air box mounts and intake system.  Caledonian was on the mark, the rubber mounts were shagged.  One was totally sheared and the other not far behind.  The metal bracket on the RH side was also a bit bent over.  The rubber sleeves from the air box to the intakes were also stretched and deformed from the box leaning over to the right.

This was a good opportunity to get a few smaller parts while ordering new mounts from Pelican Parts.  Unfortunately, PP only had 3 Wevo mounts in stock so I didn't bother ordering from them.  A week later and Wevo haven't yet replied to a query on shipping.  So instead of paying $60 for PP shipping, I went to Porsche Centre Melb. and got all the parts I needed to refurbish the intakes and air box mounts.

So far I've removed the intake runners and replaced the old injector tubes and seals.  When the new mounts arrive from Germany it will all get put back and be like new again.  

1EE5B656-97C1-4EDB-B86F-FF16158A914D.jpg

The engine/trans.  mounts will get done later as I needed to refit them to do a partial engine drop.  This is the only way to make room for removing  intake tubes.

Intake runner tubes and air box rubber mounts arrived this week. After a few hours arm wrestling, it's all back in place. Started easily on the first go. The idle seams a bit smoother and I had to adjust the speed down a bit.

Maybe those old loose injector sleeves were letting a bit of air in and messing up the mixtures. I think it's time to get in on a gas analyser and set it properly.

Archived