Cayman & boxster love!

What  a great clip, some great quotes in there....

"The Samurai Sword of cars"    "The most beautiful Porsche to date"   

If I didn't already own one, I'd be out trying to buy one after that clip..

Oh and lets not start the Porsche or the Porsche "ah" debate again though.

Thanks for posting Peter.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What  a great clip, some great quotes in there....

"The Samurai Sword of cars"    "The most beautiful Porsche to date"   

If I didn't already own one, I'd be out trying to buy one after that clip..

Oh and lets not start the Porsche or the Porsche "ah" debate again though.

Thanks for posting Peter.

Niko, "you are a motorist of a special breed" :) they certainly are a looker ......and I'll bet you say porsh.

Image result for porsche meme

If I didn't already own one, I'd be out trying to buy one.....

But which one?

I'm in the market for a car and am finding myself looking more and more at Caymans.  From Carsales:

A very low mileage 2007 manual S for $63k?

or

A 2010 2.9 litre manual or PDK for $70 to $74k?

or

A new shape 981 2013 2.7 litre PDK for $80k?  (I can't fathom why the 981 S's start at $125k.  $45k more than the base model!)

I think the biggest mistake you can make...and I was told this many times..If your going to get one get an S.

(and I agree)

That being the case.... I would be looking at the low k's 2007 Gen 1 and....

I personally, would go for one with the stick, if it's not going to be a daily Driver.

Good luck with the hunt.

I think the biggest mistake you can make...

I've heard that too but why do you think that is?  It's not as though the non S's are particularly slow.

And why are almost half of all Caymans, particularly S's are black?  Severely limits the market for some of us.  Rhetoric question I know as I'm asking the wrong person! :) 

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the car and your driving attitude.

My ideas here are probably pretty obvious but here they are anyway.

if it is going to be a DD with mainly metro traffic and roads, and not expected to ever "stretch it legs" a Cayman would be fine.

BUT....If you want to get it out on a weekend (SMT) or just thump the living bejeesus out of it, in the hills, you will love the extra grunt the bigger brakes and the howling of the big flat 6.   

(The big red brakes came in handy for me on an SMT a few weeks:ph34r:)

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-chat/59645-cayman-vs-cayman-s.html

Check this site out, answers your questions in a bit more detail re the differences between the standard and the S.

The non S is definitely no slouch though either.

NOW BLACK.....I agree too many black ones (and silver) out there.    Not my favourite colour(s) actually.  

I'm still a believer in that a sports car should look like a sports car of old, with a colour that stands out a bit.   (only a bit though)

Red, white and the yellow I think look sensational on the Caymans

I would never have gotten a black Cayman, except for the fact the one I got from PCM ticked all the boxes for me.  

(Black as you probably know is a complete PITA to maintain) 

Otherwise I would have gone white or gun metal grey.

I think black "colours", and generally dark colours are seen as conservative colours, and especially good for resale and to attract a broader purchasing market.

Having said all that, I wouldn't swap mine now for any other colour.

Be interested in other's thoughts on your good questions.

^^ Not sure the brakes on the S would be all that good as the same brakes are on the R and they are rubbish even with the standard (on R) sports pads in the front.

Thanks for your input Redracn, you have no doubt had a lot more experience with them than me.   Good to know.

I'm only judging them on my previous cars, and they are much better than what I have ever had in the past. 

Hi Niko. I am comparing them to 997 Turbo steel and Ceramic ones. The pedal on the Cayman was soft and inconsistent which did not inspire confidence in them. Changing the pads and removing the excessive amount of antisqueal backing add on's made a huge difference. I still had issues with overheating doing closed road spirited driving but a set of Gyrodisc rotors fixed that. So I now have great brakes on the Cayman R but with a bit more dust.

Hi Niko. I am comparing them to 997 Turbo steel and Ceramic ones. The pedal on the Cayman was soft and inconsistent which did not inspire confidence in them. Changing the pads and removing the excessive amount of antisqueal backing add on's made a huge difference. I still had issues with overheating doing closed road spirited driving but a set of Gyrodisc rotors fixed that. So I now have great brakes on the Cayman R but with a bit more dust.

I have obviously lead a sheltered life, I hadn't even heard of GYRODISC rotors or pads.:mellow:  

Just googled them up, they look the goods and are, what I think, a good price.  (freight might be a bit scary.)

http://www.girodisc.com/Porsche_c_1.html

I'll definitely be keeping them in mind thanks to your recommendation, when I start to get down a bit.;)

Thanks for the info.

I have obviously lead a sheltered life, I hadn't even heard of GYRODISC rotors or pads.:mellow:  

Just googled them up, they look the goods and are, what I think, a good price.  (freight might be a bit scary.)

http://www.girodisc.com/Porsche_c_1.html

I'll definitely be keeping them in mind thanks to your recommendation, when I start to get down a bit.;)

Thanks for the info.

Hi Niko, Another cheap add on was the front brake cooling air scoops from the GT3. They just clip in the same spot as the originals. Although for a regular not lowered Cayman ones from a Turbo might be better. Pads are PMU HC+ and the fronts have noise damping weights on the pads. They hardly ever squeal. I am about to upgrade to Club Racer pads which also have front damping weights so fingers crossed as to how much they squeal. Problem with any pad upgrade is squeal and how much you are prepared to put up with. For a weekender it is not to big an issue but a with a daily it might start to get on the nerves. Also need to give the performance brakes a bit of stick every now and then to ensure a proper transfer-layer to the rotor which is a great excuse for a spirited drive.

• 1 month later...
NOW BLACK.

....I agree too many black ones (and silver) out there.    Not my favourite colour(s) actually.  

I'm still a believer in that a sports car should look like a sports car of old, with a colour that stands out a bit.   (only a bit though)

Red, white and the yellow I think look sensational on the Cay

Black is my favourite colour for the Caymans, particularly series 1. Next is white and yellow and some of the greys.

Don't like most of the metallics, including "Basalt black", but my _least_ favourite colour for these cars would have to be red. Some colours just bring out the best lines, and the drama of a highly polished black Cayman just puts it in a different class. Red, OTOH, just doesn't work for me on these cars -- I just couldn't own a red one.

The same colour red on other cars, even other Porsches, I'm quite OK with, but just not Caymans for some reason.

So leave all the black ones for me! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived