'81 924. Help a noobie out?

Hey everyone! New member and relatively new to cars in general. I'm looking at buying my first car and I figured that this would be the best place to get some relevant information! If this is not the right place for this thread, please let me know and I'll shift it.

I have been looking around online for a few months now, not necessarily looking for a porsche, but anything that falls within my budget, which is only about $5000 (uni student :P)

Anyway, long story short, I found a 1981 924 for about $3500. Details as follows:

116xxx kms

Rego until December

RWC

My first thought was that this deal was too good to be true! But further research shows me that there are several of these in the same price range, I guess my lack of education about porsches really shows here...

Anyway,  I am wondering what to expect in terms of maintenance costs and if I should expect it to suddenly explode 2 months after my purchase, also, is there anything I need to know about the model specifically? I.e. if the clutch is prone to failing etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Urban & Welcome,

Others on here know much more than me about  water pumpers, however even though the car 

is (relatively) cheap I would still recommend a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Even though it will

cost several hundred dollars, it could save you thousands. Also they will advise what it needs NOW

as well as what you will be up for in the future.

The Vic contingent will be able to give you advice on where to take a front engine for the PPI.

Good luck with the search, that's half the fun. Drive many, buy the best one, not the cheapest one or the first one.

Urban, welcome to the forum, I hope,you find it a useful source of all things Porsche.....I think CarerraG50 has pretty much nailed it in terms of a pre purchase inspection, and also driving as many as you can, which will certainly give an idea of what feel right and what doesn't.

In Melbourne there are probably a number of businesses that can help you with a PPI dependant on where you are located. These people will help you learn and hopefully find the vehicle that will give you the reliability and enjoyment that a Porsche can offer.

Good luck with the search, ask plenty of questions, as there are some people on this forum that really know stuff..!!

Let us know how you go,and hope to see you on one of our outings one day ,

Cheers

Peter

Urban the first fast car - well it was at the time - that I ever drove was a very trusting uncle's then-new 924. As a result I've always had a soft spot for these little cars.

Now for the cold water part: Parts for 924's are not always easy to find, and when they are found are often as expensive as parts for a 944 which is generally regarded as a much better car.

944's are in much more plentiful supply and parts availability is generally better than for a 924.

The exception to this rule is the 924S, which was pretty much a narrow body 944, although AFAIK was never officially brought into Australia.

As above, a 944 is a much better option IMO

Although these cars are very well built and a joy to own(mostly) they are Porsches and so can be expensive if you have problems or maintainance has been neglected. A clutch for example needs the transaxle removed to replace it, and so isn't just a few hours work like most cars. If you can do some of your own work then they are a lot cheaper to own, but having said that, if you find a well maintained example, then you could have a car that you will enjoy for mnay years. Unlike lesser cars, having lots of Ks on one of these isnt a big deal, if they are maintained properly, as they are Porsches and the  engineering that has gone into them means they can be very robust cars. Many 944 engines have been opened up after 200k+ with no sign of wear.

My car has kept me poor since I got it and I wouldn't change a thing, which is ironic as most ppl assume you have lots of money if you drive a Porsche lol but a lot of that is self inflicted, as I can always find ways to spend money on her, even when she doesn't need it.

If you do find a good one, make sure you get a PPI. The great news is that a great example usually will cost you about the same as a an ordinary one, or just a little more, so it is just a matter of finding the right car.

The 944 is an amazing car and arguably one of the best handling cars ever built, so you will fall in love with it very quickly, if you buy one. They also look great (to me) and I think the design is a classic. On the twisty stuff, few cars compare, so if you love driving you could do far worse.

if you're confident enough to work on it yourself i can't see you've got much to lose, so long as the important mechanical bits are in good nick i'd say it'd make a fun and different first car!

I bought my car sight unseen from eBay with no PPI and drove it from Geelong>Brisbane the next day and still going strong. So sometimes living dangerously works out

maybe find someone local with experience with 924/944's and take them on the test drive too, Normally you can tell if the car you're driving has been looked after or is a time bomb straight away (well most of the time anyway)

good luck, keep us updated and start a thread if you end up buying it

Welcome Urban. Searching for your first Porsche (or even your second or third) is lots of fun. 

When I was first looking for a Porsche I was searching for a 924 or 944 and drove a few. I decided on the 944 because it was a better car and as James mentioned has better parts availability but a good one may fall out of your budget. Either way they are great cars and fun to drive. As everyone has said take a few for a drive and when you are ready get a PPI done.

Is this the car? http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-924-1981/SSE-AD-2967497/?Cr=6&sdmvc=1

I would query the mileage and check it against the service books as usually they have gone around the clock a few times. The dash is another thing to look at because they tend to fall apart over time (not designed for the Aussie sun!). 

What about this one? The ad says it has a rebuilt engine. 

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-924-1981/SSE-AD-741020/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1

To help with the process you could also check these links out:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_buyers_guide/944_buyers_guide.htm

https://porsche924.co.uk/buyers/

Good luck and keep us all in the loop with your search.

Steve

That red one is near me up my favourite roads. I'd go and look at it but I am travelling for work and won't be around for ten days. Seems like a decent car, though over budget.

It has been for sale for quite a while too. Originally it was over $10k I believe.

Wow I wasn't expecting so many replies! Haha thanks for the input everyone, definitely taking it all on board.

I'm thinking that a PPI would be ideal

@OldSlappy, I'm in the SE suburbs of melbourne, and yes it's listed online. I just didn't post the link because I wasn't sure of the rules of the forum. SteveF nailed it on the first try, it's this one that I was looking at
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-924-1981/SSE-AD-2967497/?Cr=6&sdmvc=1

Unfortunately my budget doesn't seem very conducive to a Porsche in good condition :P

But I shall keep looking!

Thanks again everyone 

If the car in question is in SA, I rang about it today for a friend, and would advise to steer clear of it.

OR a mega lowball offer of $1500, as it has gearbox issues and a few other things that didnt make me feel confident.

Wait till you have the funds for a 944 and get it checked out before you hand over any money

You've triggered my fatherly response lol.

"First car...new to cars..."

There are plenty of hidden costs to motoring.

I'd encourage you to grab a Corolla and enjoy relative trouble free motoring while you learn about the complexities and challenges of your desired purchase.

As a 924 and 944 owner, they are both fun cars to drive and handle brilliantly.

Look up timing belt and waterpump replacement cost on a 944 (and +/- rollers, seals replacement)  :wub:

Then realise a 924 will cost ~$100 for the same job if you DIY , very easy and no risk if you stuff it up (no valves hitting pistons scenario).

The 924 is a tough little car ; 125hp vs 163 of the 944. The bottom end is almost indestructible.

The biggest issue IMO is keeping the injection system happy - which is the main item to check when you buy.

"Car runs starts and runs well" is important!

Other than that , brakes , suspension etc - standard and easy to work on if you are handy.

I bought mine as a "beater" whilst the 911 was being worked on. As a fun side project,  instead of an appliance or cheap modern runabout which cost as much or more to service.

"Car runs starts and runs well" is important!

Other than that , brakes , suspension etc - standard and easy to work on if you are handy.

I bought mine as a "beater" whilst the 911 was being worked on. As a fun side project,  instead of an appliance or cheap modern runabout which cost as much or more to service.

the voice of motoring reason..

hands up here who hasn't bought a car despite best advice from 'dad'

put some wanted ads on the Porsche club sites and make contact with the VIC club possibly a tidy car owned with good history with the owner thinking about selling it?

or buy an AC VW or golf -

You've triggered my fatherly response lol.

"First car...new to cars..."

There are plenty of hidden costs to motoring.

I'd encourage you to grab a Corolla and enjoy relative trouble free motoring while you learn about the complexities and challenges of your desired purchase.

This is good advice but I could never brung myself to give it. Using old cars for transport while studying is a quick way to the poorhouse. Ask me how I know. I probably could have used a few more weekends in the company of young ladies instead of the spanners - you don't get a second chance at the first, but you've got the rest of your life to do the second.

Archived