What the? ~ Something you've seen that made you laugh or shake your head

BAFE

Not sure if there is a similar heading to this but just a thought inspired by something i saw yesterday....

Sitting in traffic and looked across at a white Japanese something and noticed the wheels...

WOW

These things must have cost a fortune, had to be 19's possibly 20's.

I'm no expert but they looked like ultra light weight magnesium racing style alloys with the single centre nut like a GT3 rim.

Shod with really low profile high performance rubber that looked barely street legal as they were close to a road going slick...

Cool wheels I thought...

Lights turn to green and the car moves off, very quietly...

Because its  PRIUS  

WTF ?  :huh:   :D

What have you seen that made you laugh or shake your head?

yup you'd be kinder to the environment using your SLR5000 as a courier vehicle...

i was more confused about the placement of something designed for such high performance on something that wasn't....

Just returned from the Gold Coast where Prius has taken over the taxi industry. I travelled in 2 of them and they seem fine to me. Nice and quiet and both drivers told me they get over 600,000 kms out of them before they say good bye. I don't own one and I doubt I ever will but they seem fine as an around town car to me.

I am the biggest Toyota/ Lexus hybrid fan to be really honest. We have 4 hybrids in the family, an RX450, a GS450, and IS300 and a CT200. They are all amazing cars for what they are designed to do. Calming, economical, mega-reliable and awesome technology.

I posted a thread about this a year ago as I felt that hybrid was still very misunderstood.

The CT200 that mum drives AVERAGES 4.9lt/100 over the full year.....the GS averages 7.5!

For those who haven't tried one I highly recommend them...it's just a shame they don't make a GS/ IS wagon as my wife would have one too.

Hounddub I'm not saying don't drive a hybrid. I think there's quite a few nice ones out there, take a look at the new hyper cars including Porsches very own 918, just not Prius'es (or is the collective Pri'ies).

It's all down to the production of them.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips-article/1010861_prius-versus-hummer-exploding-the-myth

I'm sure production has become greener since this article, but so would the Hummers production, so the point would be void.

If you're going to drive a car that harms the environment, do it with a car that actually is fun to drive or is at least something that people will get excited about. The cars you listed are nice cars and worthy of being made. A Prius may get a few people excited, but only because they will save a few measly $ when using it. It was made to save the environment and does exactly the opposite.

So delivering pizzas in my old V8 Fairlane was a good thing for the environment?

Depends - if it was unleaded with a cat converter, it produces more co2 which makes the trees green.

If it was old-skool leaded then it was belching out lead and CO, which makes baby pandas sad.

Hybrids make sense for certain types of driver.  One of my friends has a Camry hybrid and a Landcruiser V8.  Only problem is the camry has limited boot space because of all the batteries.  So they're always driving the cruiser to fit more stuff in.

A PHEV would make sense if you had a short commute, and it could make the distance OK.  A lot less wear and tear in electric mode while sitting in traffic.  Easier to keep the car cool as well.

All being said, I prefer my mix of garage which is v8 and flat 6.  Flooring the throttle on one of those is what makes me laugh.

Only problem is the camry has limited boot space because of all the batteries.  So they're always driving the cruiser to fit more stuff in.

I posted a vent about this very issue a while back.  Particularly when they are used as a taxi trying to carry 3 with luggage to the airport.

…and the old V8 was definitely not panda friendly but it had a boot big enough for a full drum kit.

Calming, economical, mega-reliable and awesome technology.

Pity they don't make one with minimal technology and also exciting! (a 918 excepted, but that's just a touch out of my price range)

I'm very calm , and not particularly interested in new technology. I guess I don't fit the demographic.

I even like the fact that my old cars might break down (though being Porsches they never do). Breakdowns are exciting , especially when you can McGyver them back home

Such is the exciting life of an eccentric misfit  ;)

Car driver invaded the braking space of a b-double truck on the Monash carpark this morning.  That was stupid enough but the truckie's reaction was what made me think WTF!! 

He pulled up on the left side of the car and climbed down onto his side step. Leaned over while hanging off his truck and banged on the car window while screaming at the driver.  Traffic was still moving and his truck was veering into the next lane while he was playing King Kong.  WTF!!!

Car driver invaded the braking space of a b-double truck on the Monash carpark this morning.  That was stupid enough but the truckie's reaction was what made me think WTF!! 

He pulled up on the left side of the car and climbed down onto his side step. Leaned over while hanging off his truck and banged on the car window while screaming at the driver.  Traffic was still moving and his truck was veering into the next lane while he was playing King Kong.  WTF!!!

and if he was asked about other drivers on the road he's say how bad they are and how "he's a professional driver"

Saw this on a micro car in Malaysia

I shake my head when I see that, regardless of what car it is. When I see it on a Porsche I cry  :(

Oh look I just put 18x11 ET 10 and 215 tyres on my 964, lowered it to the bump stops and it doesn't even rub. Then you have other people congratulating them on getting them to "fit". Nevermind the fact that it is undrivable, it's running 10 degrees of camber and you had to crush the oil lines to get them on...idiots.

Sorry, this should probably be in the "vent" thread 

Archived