ID Scam

Nothing new, just thought I'd share.

I've had 4 sus phone calls this month.

One from telstra, hows your service, can I just get your date of birth to confirm who I'm talking to?

Next was an insurance company I deal with, same question.

Next was a pretend client for a service I provide, wanted an email address.

Last was ATO, just checking all ABN holders to see if I actually have a legitimate use for an ABN. Can I have your dob to verify who im talking to. NO....

I rang the ATO and they said no one has contacted me.

All on a private number. Dogs...I wish I could catch em. Our laws won't allow us to be told who is calling on a private number.

Watch out for the 'I'm from Microsoft, your computer has a virus'.  Warn your parents about this one as well.  Lots of people falling for that one.

I have unlisted numbers and have a blissful, spam-call free existence.

This thread has me really worried..I sent some money to this poor fellow just today; he contacted my gmail

I'm sorry i didn't inform you before leaving, Few days back my family and I made an unannounced  vacation trip to Kiev Ukraine. Everything was going fine until last night when we were  mugged on our way back to the  hotel.They Stole all our cash,credit cards and cellphone but thank God we  still have our lives and passports safe. The  hotel manager has been unhelpful to us for reasons i don't know.I'm writing you from a local library.

I've reported to the police and after writing down some statements that's the last i had from them.i contacted the  consulate and all i keep hearing is they will get back to me. Our return flight leaves soon...I need you to help me out  with a fast loan to settle our bills here so we can get back home . I'll refund the money as soon as we get back. All i need is $2,980..Let me know what you can do so I can tell you how to get the money to me.

All hope on you,

Michael Parker.

Our laws won't allow us to be told who is calling on a private number.

And I have a real problem with that for SO many reasons! ^^ 

Watch out for the 'I'm from Microsoft, your computer has a virus'.  Warn your parents about this one as well.  Lots of people falling for that one.

I can't wait for that call.... My response " this concerns my MacBook how? " :lol: 

This thread has me really worried..I sent some money to this poor fellow just today; he contacted my gmail

Ha, funny thing.  I once got an email like that - robbed on a Russian subway in St Petersburg..send cash now.

Only thing it was true and it was the in-laws.  I had to send them cash via Western Union to the next city they were going to.  Fun times!

Watch out for the 'I'm from Microsoft, your computer has a virus'. Warn your parents about this one as well. Lots of people falling for that one.

I have unlisted numbers and have a blissful, spam-call free existence.

I had lots of fun with this one. They happened to get me in a good mood, so I strung them along for about 45mins pretending to be my father in law who has broken English.

After lots of, "the space bar? Which one says space on it!"

I eventually got them to agree to call back the next day when my "son in law will be there".

They did ring the next day, then I thanked them for telling me my computer had a virus and that I took it to the computer shop and they fixed it!

Me:

"Thank you, thank you so much for helping me...."

Phone:

Some mumbling then..Click

Here's a real one that was reported recently with a "go fast" slant.

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/security-it/fake-speeding-fines-make-cryptolocker-lock-up-australian-files-20141030-11egcy.html

You definitely don't want to get tricked into triggering crytolocker, it is either pay the ransom for the key or reinstall your system. This doesn't appear to affect Macs unless you are running virtual Windows.

I can't wait for that call.... My response " this concerns my MacBook how? " :lol:

I have got the call a few times. I like to mix it up. I first say no you're not and wiat to see what they say. Have asked to speak to their supervisor. I try and keep on the line as long as possible so at least they are spending on the phone call. Last time I used but thats not possible as I use apple computers(I don't). I hate scammers

I have a regular lady calling saying (and I quote) "I am calling to tell you that your phone bill is now be capped at $49 per month unlimited local calls".  

To which I respond, "which one of my 500 lines is this for ?"

I get transferred to a supervisor very quickly - the last one called me a liar because I would not provide him with my ABN.   

Watch out for the 'I'm from Microsoft, your computer has a virus'.  Warn your parents about this one as well.

I had this one a while ago. So I abused the guy telling him he wasn't from The Windows Department and was just trying to scam me and hung up. 30 seconds later he rang back and when I answered he called me a "Mother F***er" and hung up on me! Funny!

30 seconds later he rang back and when I answered he called me a "Mother F***er" and hung up on me! Funny!

I had a similar thing happen some years back. An American guy. He rang back and proceeded to fire some of the foulest language at me that I'd ever heard. I rang telstra straight away but they said the only way I could get the number was to make a complaint to the police and they could follow it up

I spoke to the police about my case.

It is not an offence to ask for details over the phone.

They would only investigate it if it were linked to a serious crime.

Next one will get some false details so they can waste some time setting up a dodgy account with no benefits.

We need laws to stop people hiding their phone number.

Archived