SM911

We all enjoy reading about those barn find cars that pop up from time to time. And if you're like me, you probably think, 'I wonder how many old Porsches are sitting out there tucked away in backyard garages, waiting to be rebuilt/restored/re-driven?'.

Well, I stumbled across one of these cars a couple of months back...

A local retired chap who fixes furniture also turns out to be a restorer of 1920s/30s vintage cars, and also had an old Porsche tucked away under the house.

We got around to talking about cars, and he mentioned to me that he had 'this old Porsche under the house that's never driven, and needs a bit of TLC'. After another visit last Wednesday to drop some furniture off, we again talked about his cars, and much to my surprise, he said "I have too many cars to rebuild. I probably should sell that Porsche - I'd be happy with $[insert very good price here], so let me know if you're interested".

Needless to say I whipped out the iPhone and took a gazillion pictures as I checked the car over. It turned out to be a 1977 911, matching numbers, factory RHD (HK delivered), non-sunroof coupe, that had received a bare metal respray about ten years ago. The car had only travelled 45,000 miles, and overall was in excellent condition, with very few signs of ageing (ie. rust). The owner had never registered it, and started it up every six months or so.

PCA confirmed the factory RHD & delivery background, numbers for the car, and also advised that it was delivered with Sienna Metallic paint, sporto, tinted windows, aircon, electric windows and centre console. Back in Honkers in the late 70s, this would have been a really sweeet little car. Fast forward to 2015, and its had fibreglass 964 bumpers and side skirts fitted by the last HK owner, and the PO here gave it a pretty rough repaint in guards red. Rough, but still respectablel.

It was inspected again on Friday morning with Brisbane's very own Sporto King (thanks mate!), who said to me (in effect) 'if you don't buy this, you're a d1ckhead, and I'll pay him a deposit on the spot!'. So the deal was done, and I've now unexpectedly got a second Porsche - my very own (urban) barn find.

IMG_4248_zps6958e4c8.jpg

IMG_4250_zps76bdff91.jpg

IMG_4209_zps681fdda0.jpg

IMG_4207_zps72b7c0a3.jpg

IMG_4240_zps1853a180.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, just saw that after I posted. Looks like I need to retract my first sporto statement!

Yes, good pick up guys - its had a 915 installed along the way. The shift linkages seem a bit out of whack, but apart form that it very much looks like a low mileage box.

That sooo cool and IMO a keeper. Be a shame to flip something that you found that way.

Yeah I'm in two minds about what to do. Flipping it onwards is nice and easy, and keeps things manageable.

However - much to my surprise - my wife said that she might like it as an everyday car. That would obviously require me to refit the aircon (it's been removed) and potentially - and don't you Sporto blokes start freakin' out here - I might even convert it back to Sporto. Yes - you read that right.

The sienna metallic colour also looks a real treat, and looks great with the chrome trim. The below photo is what it'd look like with some 15x6 fuchs on it.

By all means if anyone has a set of nice 15x6s lying around, please PM me...

PastedGraphic-1_zpsafc5b3c8.jpg

A lot of work to get it back to sporto I would imagine - you've got to find a working sporto box for a start.

It would look nice going back to the chrome trim etc.  It's not clear from the pics but it looks like it was all covered in black paint.

Back to original paint and trim, back to sporto box, refit air con, fix up issues from sitting all that time - i"m guessing 15-20k to spend.  But you'd have nice car at the end.  It is low mileage and so in original condition it would be worth some biscuits.

I only really had a quick look over it the other day but the excellent unrestored condition of the interior certainly supports the milage as being genuine!

Along with the fact that Scott has been crawling underneath it for the past few days and he still had a HUGE grin on his face, indicates he has not had any nasty surprises. :o

Still can't believe you stole that car for $5K :angry:

I only really had a quick look over it the other day but the excellent unrestored condition of the interior certainly supports the milage as being genuine!

Along with the fact that Scott has been crawling underneath it for the past few days and he still had a HUGE grin on his face, indicates he has not had any nasty surprises. :o

Still can't believe you stole that car for $5K :angry:

Please tell me that price is a typo.

Oh! Scotty you could have let it run a bit longer this thread would have been red hot by the end of the day :ph34r:

DISCLAIMER:

Some the content in my previous post in this thread may or may not be accurate -_-

Moral of the story here is "DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON PFA" ;)

Archived