SM911

Oh! Scotty you could have let it run a bit longer this thread would have been red hot by the end of the day :ph34r:

DISCLAIMER:

Some the content in my previous post in this thread may or may not be accurate -_-

Moral of the story here is "DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON PFA" ;)

Or just be wary of what Caledonian posts ..... :ph34r:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm in two minds about what to do. Flipping it onwards is nice and easy, and keeps things manageable.

However - much to my surprise - my wife said that she might like it as an everyday car. That would obviously require me to refit the aircon (it's been removed) and potentially - and don't you Sporto blokes start freakin' out here - I might even convert it back to Sporto. Yes - you read that right.

The sienna metallic colour also looks a real treat, and looks great with the chrome trim. The below photo is what it'd look like with some 15x6 fuchs on it.

By all means if anyone has a set of nice 15x6s lying around, please PM me...

PastedGraphic-1_zpsafc5b3c8.jpg

doooo iiiiiiit!

Work continues unabated on getting the UBF car 'complianced' and then registered.

When I got the car and whipped the rear wheel off, I was pretty happy to see the original colour. And it also had this not so ancient Chinese script on it.

IMG_4283_zps03c019f2.jpg

Turns out it says 'F*** you' in Cantonese.

Ha! Good to see a bit of tire fitter humour!

Any chance of more shots? You've barely shown 'leg' to date!

Here's another teaser.

Last week, after being inspected by the engineer for compliance. Tomorrow is the reinspection, and it should pass fine. Side intrusion bars, child restraints, and 3-point rear seat belts were all fitted (amongst other bits & bobs to get her roadworthy.

Unfortunately I've had to cannibalise a couple of bits off my other car to get it through. It's a slippery slope that one...

IMG_4354_zps84bca1de.jpg

Well, after two weeks of swinging spanners, the UBF finally got registration for the first time in over 13 years.

The modification process was relatively straight forward. This consisted of side intrusion bars, rear three point seat belts, and the child seat restraint mounts. After signoff by the engineer and that all important blue plate, she passed through the safety certificate process (previously known as the RWC).

Yesterday I found out (the hard way) that CIS fuel consumption is higher than I'd planned. I firstly ran out of fuel while idling on a steep hill (doesn't happen in my other car). Then after re-starting on level ground I subsequently ran out of fuel 200m from the BP. Naturally I coasted into the closest carpark. I thought I'd be polite and let the  company know that I was temporarily parked in their carpark. Upon knocking at the door, I was very surprised by the place which I had arrived at (see second picture)... I didn't take a photo of the inside, but I was very amused to see a wall full of, ah, 'paraphernalia' for use on their staff by clients... yikes!

IMG_4471_zpsfefaad15.jpg

IMG_4484_zpsa126182b.jpg

Today's journey was less eventful than yesterday's, although the UBF did exhibit some interesting behaviour on the oil temp gauge. The first drive consisted of a 45 minute run down the freeway for a painting quote. No big deal, all went pretty well.

On the way home though (after about 25 mins), the temp gauge started creeping up, and hovered just below the 'warning' zone, ie. just below the red zone. It stabilised at this temp for a while, and then suddenly dropped away really quickly to 'normal' temp. My initial thoughts are that the oil cooler bypass thermostat was perhaps sticking... That'll be one to monitor over the next few weeks as I try and run all the bugs out of the car.

Oh, and the RH electric window stopped, which unfortunately was not just a faulty switch. Looks like a regulator and motor removal in the next couple of days... It'll be a crap job, for sure.

Can you detail what was done with the three point belts and child restraints? Some photos? What did you have before?

The engineer did an inspection, and then specified what he wanted to see. He was satisfied with me using the Benz child restraint assemblies (cost about $4 each), which are a small pre-fabricated mount that rivet in with two rivets (after drilling holes in the parcel shelf of course).

For the rear seat belt mounts, he specified 70mm x 70mm in 3mm steel, with a 7/16 UNC (IIRC) nut welded in the centre. The plate then had to be riveted in each corner through the parcel shelf.

I then fitted the three-point belts, and they do not have to be inertia reel belts. I used static belts.

The engineer did an inspection, and then specified what he wanted to see. He was satisfied with me using the Benz child restraint assemblies (cost about $4 each), which are a small pre-fabricated mount that rivet in with two rivets (after drilling holes in the parcel shelf of course).

For the rear seat belt mounts, he specified 70mm x 70mm in 3mm steel, with a 7/16 UNC (IIRC) nut welded in the centre. The plate then had to be riveted in each corner through the parcel shelf.

I then fitted the three-point belts, and they do not have to be inertia reel belts. I used static belts.

When you drilled holes in the parcel shelf did that go through into the engine bay where the sound pad is? I take it the factory mounts for the three point belts were not there.

Apart from the 964 bits it looks great. Assuming they're coming off?

Yes, they absolutely are. My new (used) set of IBs turned up the other day - from Canberra no less!

They'll all be fitted after repaint, as the rear panel mount for the centre reflector was removed to fit the rear 964 reflector.

When you drilled holes in the parcel shelf did that go through into the engine bay where the sound pad is? I take it the factory mounts for the three point belts were not there.

Yes, I had my local Porsche guys fit them, as they've done lot of them before. My car didn't have a set of rear mounting points, and I'm now on a quest for a set of the 'risers' for the rear seat belts from an SC/3.2, so that I can loop the belts up properly through the parcel shelf.

The pictures below paint three thousand words. The first photo is a bit scrappy, and the belt is in the background. It's currently got a set of Hemco static belts fitted, but I'm still looking for a set of genuine rears.

IMG_4488_zps1dac1a44.jpg

IMG_4489_zpsdacd5a6f.jpg

IMG_4490_zps286c027a.jpg

Archived