I just gave away my porsche

This topic follows a conversation I was just having on this forum. We have all read about increasing prices which is tough if you are trying to get into the market,  but on the flip side has anyone sold a bit too early? A 993T for $120K, and SC for $35k or 930 for $50K? 

GRK930, should be able to start this conversation :), but there must be some other cry worthy stories out there?

Our sympathies are with you

77 930 back in about 2003... Advertised for about 8 months with no genuine bites... ended up trading it for high 20's...

You mean like the one that Magnus Walker sold for about $120K and because they are so rare are trading for $150K+ in Europe..

Yep- great cry worthy example

Wish someone would give there Porsche away to me.

For me I discovered the 911 though a friend who has one.

I never gave them much thought, guess that will teach me for living under a rock.

Makes me wonder what is behind the current popularity of the 911, is it interests rates are low and people are spending money on toys.

If the rates rise I suspect we may see an influx of cars on the market. The toys are the first to go when things tighten up.

Or is it 911s are the next in line, a few years ago Aussie muscle cars went nuts, now they are expensive the next affordable option is (was) a 911.

Or is it social media like Singer on YouTube or Magnus Walker driving awareness of a very cool car.

I never gave them much thought, guess that will teach me for living under a rock.

Makes me wonder what is behind the current popularity of the 911, is it interests rates are low and people are spending money on toys.

If the rates rise I suspect we may see an influx of cars on the market. The toys are the first to go when things tighten up.

Or is it 911s are the next in line, a few years ago Aussie muscle cars went nuts, now they are expensive the next affordable option is (was) a 911.

Or is it social media like Singer on YouTube or Magnus Walker driving awareness of a very cool car.

The old ones have been too low for too long and the market has just adjusted. An iconic sports car that you can still use as a daily drive. Yes the entry price is higher than it was, but as long as you look after it and you have a good example you can pretty much count on zero depreciation. Car ownership doesn't get better. And the reality is that for those that can't justify a 30 year old good example, 996's and 997's continue to drop in value so soon (if not now) $20,000 911's will be a reality allowing the next investment cycle to begin again. 

my dad sold his Amazon Green 965 3.6L turbo number 8/10 aus delivered 25,XXX km's back in 2000 for 130k or 140k (can't remember), but good luck trying to find one now

would love to see one of those up close one day (sorry you can't help)

Early 911's have always been worth decent money relatively speaking. When I bought my first one 10+ years ago I payed 30k or so for what was a pretty tied 25+ yo car - at the time that was still a reasonable amount for a car of that condition and vintage. Now that same car in similar condition is maybe 40-50k so whilst some particular models have increased quite a lot in the past 2-3 years they have always held their value pretty well. Unlike the muscle car boom 911 have a global demand that is more to do with supply & demand than necessarily interest rates - these cars have always been desirable and with only a limited amount in existence they are naturally becoming more valuable.

Can't put a price on a 30 year old dream.

I'm pleased you posted that line as I was starting to worry!

All this talk about rate of returns, financial projections, buying low and selling high and business cases was making me think someone should start an accountants thread: "Air Cooled 911's - Financials" or similar so I know what thread to avoid.

I've also noted an increase in people's financial transactions being aired on some threads and some have been criticised for their canniness. That makes me uncomfortable too.

Really we bought these things for fun and I hope we don't lose that prospective and the purpose of this forum generally.

I'm pleased you posted that line as I was starting to worry!

All this talk about rate of returns, financial projections, buying low and selling high and business cases was making me think someone should start an accountants thread: "Air Cooled 911's - Financials" or similar so I know what thread to avoid.

I've also noted an increase in people's financial transactions being aired on some threads and some have been criticised for their canniness. That makes me uncomfortable too.

Really we bought these things for fun and I hope we don't lose that prospective and the purpose of this forum generally.

Exactly Peter, the fact the we all b

I'm pleased you posted that line as I was starting to worry!All this talk about rate of returns, financial projections, buying low and selling high and business cases was making me think someone should start an accountants thread: "Air Cooled 911's - Financials" or similar so I know what thread to avoid.I've also noted an increase in people's financial transactions being aired on some threads and some have been criticised for their canniness. That makes me uncomfortable too.Really we bought these things for fun and I hope we don't lose that prospective and the purpose of this forum generally.

Peter you are correct in every way but I bet you have owned your cars for a while? Those of us who have recently had to dip our toes in to the fast moving current that is Porsche purchasing cannot help but get caught up in the market. Just like when you have just bought a house and are happy to bore anyone who will listen with new found expertise into the residential market. Plenty of posts of just driving the hell out of our beautiful machines to come :)

Archived