What's driving the spike in air-cooled Porsche 911 prices

QE and low interest rates. Internet marketplaces and a worldwide market add fuel to the fire.

It's all happened before. At some point there will be a correction. This time it isn't different.

Fun to talk about though, makes a change from discussing house prices.

QE and low interest rates. Internet marketplaces and a worldwide market add fuel to the fire.

It's all happened before. At some point there will be a correction. This time it isn't different.

Fun to talk about though, makes a change from discussing house prices.

+1.  This is going to end in tears.  Not sure if it will be this year, next year or the year after . . . . but it's going to be so ugly.  Share market is booming (despite flat earnings), property marketing is booming, all real assets are booming (art, cars, you name it).  How else could this end?  When interest rates start to rise the rush for the doors is going to be like nothing we've ever experienced before.

Here ends the sermon.

Agree that prices will come back when whatever economic trigger is pulled but after prices hit the 'bottom,' I cant see air cooled prices languishing there for long. In other words, I don't think you'll be able to buy a 3.2l for the same price you would've paid 5 years ago. 

Now that these cars are on the investment radar, like Mercedes Pagoda's, Jag E-types etc (insert desirable car here), there's still a growing cachet associated with air-cooled 911's that I believe will see their values climb back up as fast as any economic recovery allows.

Of course this all depends on what the economic trigger is and how big the property/share/debt bubble its attached to really is... 

+1.  This is going to end in tears.  Not sure if it will be this year, next year or the year after . . . . but it's going to be so ugly.  Share market is booming (despite flat earnings), property marketing is booming, all real assets are booming (art, cars, you name it).  How else could this end?  When interest rates start to rise the rush for the doors is going to be like nothing we've ever experienced before.

I'm just cruising up and down the beach , waiting  :rolleyes:

it is very hard to finance a car older than 10 years. I know this because I tried prior to buying the SLK. Even with a great credit record and stacks of equity in my home, I wasn't able to get a separate finance package for the 964 Cab I wanted to buy.  Then Phil at Porsche Brighton was able to get it through, only because Porsche have an agreement with Esanda I think it is (can't remember) to finance air-cooled and vintage 911s.   And then they bend you over (pardon my crassness) on the interest rate! 

So I imagine lots of mortgages with a chunk bitten out of them.

I don't quite understand the rational of how & why classic car values are going to plummet?

Markets, interest rates, property prices, climate change whatever variables you want to throw into the mix don't detract from the essence of what draws people to classic car ownership. Generally speaking, as most modern materialistic possessions become more disposable (cars being no exception) there will always be a demand and value towards older (& somewhat unique) items.

So long as there are people making money and spending money there will be a market for old things, cars being one of the more desirable non essential luxury items and Porsches being towards the top of that list. Cars aren't necessarily a rational purchase and I find it difficult to analyse such a highly speculative projection - all I can say is Id believe there to be more evidence that suggests values will continue to rise than the whole 'doom & gloom' of the world about to end along with Porsche values. This is a global market and there will always be a market for classic cars and so long as that market is dis-proportional to the amount available there will be demand IMO.

The only thing I can be sure of is that I own my cars because I love them - and there is nothing rational about that!

Hugh, I'm more pessimistic about a significant correction. . . I think the question is when, not if.   The rational for an eventual major correction is the totally discretionary nature of classic cars.  When interest rates rise (perhaps at the same time as a significant fall in share market prices and super fund balances) then suddenly the mortgage looks scary and the total indulgence of having a reasonably large amount of money in a toy like an old Porsche becomes much harder to defend.

A good parallel is holiday houses.  When the GFC hit relatively few people in affluent suburbs sold their homes in panic, or took their kids out of private school, but the holiday house was on the market straight away.  At one point I'd guess that over 1/3 of Palm Beach was officially or unofficially on the market!  Bowral took years to recover.

I think this is particularly true at the moment because, like all late stage financial bubbles, we have reached the phase where people who would not normally invest in the asset class are rushing in.   Ferrari Dinos have doubled in just two years!  73RS have done the same.  933TT are up 100% in two years.  This is bubble behaviour.

You and I are "hard core Porsche guys" but many of the current buyers are not typical classic car owners.  They have been attracted/pulled in by the hype and noise around the bubble . . . Petrolicious, Amelia Island, Magnus Walker, etc,   This is exactly what happens in every financial bubble.  [All the cliches about taxi drivers trading currency or secretaries day trading shares, etc]  These same "outsiders" will be the first to put up a for sale sign when times change.

Very well put Nick. Having lived through a few recessions and stock market crashes etc. it's the folks that have margin loans and are highly geared in other ways that get caught out and have to sell whatever they can to get through and as you rightly say it the toys that go first.......

No one knows ......., but if prices  fall and they prob will some time but by how much ? .They will bounce back again 

and every day there are less and less of these cars around .

I bought it to enjoy and drive  not as a investment .... life is to short not to ... :D

Hugh, I'm more pessimistic about a significant correction. . . I think the question is when, not if.   The rational for an eventual major correction is the totally discretionary nature of classic cars.  When interest rates rise (perhaps at the same time as a significant fall in share market prices and super fund balances) then suddenly the mortgage looks scary and the total indulgence of having a reasonably large amount of money in a toy like an old Porsche becomes much harder to defend.

A good parallel is holiday houses.  When the GFC hit relatively few people in affluent suburbs sold their homes in panic, or took their kids out of private school, but the holiday house was on the market straight away.  At one point I'd guess that over 1/3 of Palm Beach was officially or unofficially on the market!  Bowral took years to recover.

I think this is particularly true at the moment because, like all late stage financial bubbles, we have reached the phase where people who would not normally invest in the asset class are rushing in.   Ferrari Dinos have doubled in just two years!  73RS have done the same.  933TT are up 100% in two years.  This is bubble behaviour.

You and I are "hard core Porsche guys" but many of the current buyers are not typical classic car owners.  They have been attracted/pulled in by the hype and noise around the bubble . . . Petrolicious, Amelia Island, Magnus Walker, etc,   This is exactly what happens in every financial bubble.  [All the cliches about taxi drivers trading currency or secretaries day trading shares, etc]  These same "outsiders" will be the first to put up a for sale sign when times change.

I hear you Nick but who then are these people paying 200k for 17+ yo porsche 911's if they are not "porsche guys"? Id think it takes more than hype to pull that kind of money out of someone's pocket?

Not that I care either way as I'm not planning to sell, but hey if your right maybe I'll get into my long hood sooner than I thought

Archived