Can odometer readings be altered on a 996?

Rod C

Can anyone tell me is it possible to alter odometer readings on a 996? The reason I ask the question is I have been following the 996 market for over 2 years now and have come across at times pictures of cars where interiors dont seem to match the number of kilometers travelled. This seems to be obvious on manual cars where some are advertized with low kilometers but the gear shift looks like a dog has been chewing on it with well worn leather where as some cars have been pictured with 100,000 klm or more but with no or minimal wear and tear. Other things I have noticed is cars that are advertized as imaculate inside but on inspection have quite a considerable amount of scratching and by my observations  to date I have probably inspected 20 plus cars to the centre consol area and the overhead interior light / sunroof console.Im wondering do the majority of Porsche drivers wear chunky gold chains or rings that may be the cause of such scratching or do they own two dogs that have been going at it inside the car? Hope I dont offend anyone here but would be interested on peoples thoughts.

Ps By my observations 996 s4 cars seems to be on an upward trend in pricing in the last 6 months and most also sell reasonably quickly. Would like to know if anyone else has noticed this?

do the majority of Porsche drivers wear chunky gold chains or rings 

Perhaps this is your real question ???    :blink:     Some of the cars I have seen for sale (i.e. KLASSY) certainly would have a chunky gold chain and ring wearing driver.

Sorry, but cannot answer your real question.

I think different people treat cars very differently...

There are folks who highly respect their car and could do 100,000kms in it and it looks mint because of the little things like lifting their feet OVER the sills EVERY time vs those who drag their feet every time, scuffing the crap out of it.  How you place a bag in and out of your car...  there are many tiny actions repeated thousands of times that can be done with care, or carelessly.  It shows up.

I think the coating on the centre console isn't very good. Mine has scratches also on what is otherwise an immaculate car. Like you, I don't understand how people scratch them though. I don't know how you'd wind back a digital odometer. The 996 isn't known for its interior quality though so kms could be genuine. Mines done 90,000kms and I wouldn't say the interior is mint. My HSV with 120,000kms looked better inside.

The 996 interior is not known for wearing well.

Jewellery,  including rivets on jeans,  is harsh on leather.

Hand creams & cosmetics might contribute to damage (ever bought a car driven by a busy woman?)

People who take frequent short trips obviously scuff the interior more than those who go for a 300km blat once or twice a week and then put the car in storage.

And then there is climate , parking outside in the sun etc etc

So many factors .

Cars are either owned by enthusiasts (who care, often excessively) and motorists who aren't too fussed whatever they drive.

Can anyone tell me is it possible to alter odometer readings on a 996?

Yes. All digital odos can be overwritten. It's easier than rolling back manual ones. I have the gear and it would be trivial for me to roll back the odo on my BMW. If you have software than can write directly to the byte level you can reset it. There are safeguards in place but once you're in, you're in.

The interior has that soft touch feel stuff all over it. It infests lots of German cars from the 00's. I had a golf that looked like barf inside because the PO just wasn't gentle.(PO was a relative!)

I was talking to a guy with a nice 996tt at he last cars and coffee. He had stripped the soft touch rubber stuff from the console and seat backs and other places, and done it in a 2-pack gunmetal. It looked great and is probably much harder wearing.

Have to a agree that it's relatively easy to scratch the plastic or even the leather. The paint on the gear lever in my car has been destroyed by previous owners rings.

I doubt too many of these cars have had their odometers rolled back. You should be able to tell if the odometer has been rolled back by the service book, the time frames and kilometers should roughly match up for each owner, if it hasn't got a book or it hasn't been filled in  then beware.

C4S 2001-2005 sure to be a colectable,turbo body with out the rear air intakes last model to carry the rear reflector,and similar turbo spec brakes 320bhp and only some 23000 made, I want one bfore thier all gone. :)   

I wouldn't buy one without a good service history, meaning the book as been filled out and stamped……….and with documents/receipts to see what was done.   It was on the top of my priority list when I bought mine.      

If you get that information, it's obvious if a speedo has been wound back…...

Archived