THE BASTARD - 944 LS1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And to happen while cruising down the highway at 2500rpm... it all happened with a fizz of disappointment...

Here are some photos the workshop sent me. It looks like a complete valve train replacement is needed, including a new camshaft. The dented piston seems to be the only damage to the bottom end. But now I'm really unsure if I should just have the top-end rebuilt and take my chances with the bottom end... or just go for a whole new long block... The budget really isn't there for any of this...not much fun at all..

Damaged_Lifter.jpgIMG_4736.jpgIMG_4738.jpgIMG_4739.jpg

Feeling the pain for you - and we thought an LS1 would be pretty bulletproof in comparison with the 944 cam/balance belt interference type motors.  Hope the workshop chaps are sympathetic and give you a discounted rate.

Does anyone have an opinion on reusing the dented piston shown in the photo? The bottom end is rotating as it should, but I really don't want to go through this process again... not sure if it's worth the risk

Damn that is such a shame. I would be so crushed.

Really hope there isn't too much damage and you can get her back on the road soon.

Thanks Tim, I'll let you know how it goes...

Chris,

I feel your pain :angry:

That sucks big time and i hope the boys can look after you and get you back on the road again asap.

Good luck mate:)

Cheers Dean

Feeling the pain for you - and we thought an LS1 would be pretty bulletproof in comparison with the 944 cam/balance belt interference type motors.  Hope the workshop chaps are sympathetic and give you a discounted rate.

I was really hoping that would be the case, perhaps I should have had the valve train replaced / upgraded before the motor went in. Have my fingers crossed for a reasonable repair bill. 

That sucks big time! Was it a new engine/ reco or S/H one?

It was a second hand motor with 125,000km on the clock (from a 2005 SS commodore).

Hey Chris,

The way I see it, what have you got to lose? You may as well rebuild the top end and put it all back together and drive it. If the bottom end goes, then you will have to replace it. If it doesn't. You are laughing. At least you have a common engine, which is realatively inexpensive, so you could just keep your eye out for another second hand one to have on hand in the future if you need it. 

Damn! You would have thought at least another 100k without hassle.... good luck on the fix!

That was the hope! If only the reality matched.. thanks

Hey Chris,

The way I see it, what have you got to lose? You may as well rebuild the top end and put it all back together and drive it. If the bottom end goes, then you will have to replace it. If it doesn't. You are laughing. At least you have a common engine, which is realatively inexpensive, so you could just keep your eye out for another second hand one to have on hand in the future if you need it. 

For sure, I can see things from that perspective.. I'll see how the top-end rebuild quote comes back and go from there.

My concern is spending $5000 on a top end rebuild and then spending the same again if the bottom end lets go. All the while a brand new LS3 crate motor can be had for $7500 and a reconditioned ls1 long block for even less...

Well if those are the kind of figures you are talking about. I would just save my pennies for a crate motor or reco'd long block as you mentioned. But I have never been one to try to modify the hell out of engines, because every time I have seen mates go through it, they just don't last. Give me reliability over squeezing every last drop of power out of an engine every time.

Well if those are the kind of figures you are talking about. I would just save my pennies for a crate motor or reco'd long block as you mentioned. But I have never been one to try to modify the hell out of engines, because every time I have seen mates go through it, they just don't last. Give me reliability over squeezing every last drop of power out of an engine every time.

Good point... The quote came back at around $10,000... not worth it at all.

Looking at LS1s on Ebay, looks like you could get about 5 for that.  Or a top end rebuild DIY (I'm sure they aren't rocket science) would be (guessing) sub $1k?

Exactly right. I'm going to try and source a crate motor or refurbished motor with a warranty so I don't have to go through all of this hassle again. There are definitely cheaper ways to fix it and get it running, but I'd  really love to be able to trust the car on a longer road trip. Too many doubts now...

Well a plan has been hatched for a new motor...

Spencer Race Engines (North Geelong, Victoria) will be supplying a rebuilt LS1 long block that comes with a 12 month warranty. With a mild camshaft upgrade and slight increase in compression the aim is 280kw at the wheels. 

My dealings with SRE have been really positive, Chris Spencer is a straight talking guy and called me straight away to find out what was needed from the build, my budget etc. They offered free shipping and gave the job a priority turn around of 2 weeks. They will also be re-mapping the ECU with a run-in tune based on the spec of the motor. So no need to get the car towed to a dyno after the install.

MR Tuning has also agreed to a fixed price to install the new engine and get the car back on the road. That definitely takes some stress out of the situation.

I'll keep the thread updated with progress.. Great to have found a workable solution, and looking forward to the little bump in power

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

No worries grant, was good to chat! And thanks.

The car had a valve spring failure yesterday, just cruising at low RPM when it happened, so fingers crossed the damage isn't too extensive...

IMG_4734.jpg

that looks very painful :(

• 6 months later...

I had to take a break from the forum after the saga of having a new motor built and installed only to have elderly lady drive into the car. The front fender was damaged and front fog light was cracked. Fortunately no mechanical damage to the suspension. Repairs have since been carried out and the paint is looking as good as ever thanks to Sannons and Mr Tuning for taking care of all of the repairs for me.

Since then the car has been back on the road for a couple of months... just ticked over 1000km on the new motor. Running very well, though it doesn't like sitting in the traffic in these 30+ degree days. It doesn't overheat and cools down quickly once the car is moving over 60km/h. A power steering cooler, engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler will most likely be installed before I do any semi-serious track days.

The new motor feels very strong...  very much like the estimated 280kw at the wheels the engine maker (Spencer Race Engines) quoted. Still yet to run it on the dyno.

I've also since repaired the dash lights and installed a new VDO head unit in combination with some Morel rear speakers. Combined with an exhaust wrap and heat shielding under the car there has been a signifcant reduction in road / exhaust noise.  The stereo is now clearly audible when cruising.

More photos to come soon.. a couple of extra goodies now on the car that I won't mention just yet...

Archived