THE BASTARD - 944 LS1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't wait to see it out and about! heat from the firewall sounds a bit of a pain, any plans to insulate it?

Some reflective heat shielding on the transmission tunnel should help. I'll definitely look into that.

Chris - you must be pumped with a result like that.  Can't wait to see it in the flesh.  Re the temp - just remember - it will be autumn soon!

Regards

Hi Rob, yeah very happy with how the car drives! And good point.. it has been cooler the last couple of days...

Hey Chris,

Great news mate. That curve is way impressive....

Now how about some photos...:D

Can't wait to see the beast and catch up soon, somehow.

All the best mate.

Hey Dean, the beauty of displacement - really love how linear the power is!

haha.. photos soon :)

One day I'm sure - cheers!

congrats chris. as a matter of interest, do you have any idea what the car weighs in at? i'm curious to know what the power to weight ratio is?

Thanks :) I haven't weighed it yet, but I did do some sums. Looking at the weights of parts that were removed from the car and the deletion of air-conditioning offsetting the extra weight of the LS1 it should be sitting right near 1250kg with a full 80L tank of fuel. Flywheel power would be around 300kw.

Wow, awesome. You must be over the moon to finally be able to drive it!

That's a whole lot of power too, that thing must be so much fun.

Hey Tim, it was a surreal drive.. it all feels surprisingly balanced and capable at that power level. Can't wait to go for an extended drive.

Congrats Chris! Immense build, sounds like just a bit of tweaking left now. 

Power figure is impressive, I guess what you would expect from an LS, but not a 944. 

Do you think cermanic coating the headers would help at all?

Thanks! Fingers crossed the leak is nothing too major.

Definitely, no surprises from the LS1 there but the combination is magic.

A ceramic coating would probably help! Though they would be a real pain to take out and reinstall. Most of the heat seems to be coming from the transmission tunnel with the exhaust running on either side of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic job Chris......:wub:

Looks absolutely stunning and glad you kept the spoiler (not.LOL.);)

Get out now and drive it so you keep us envious people at bay with your stories.

Love it and hope to see you, your Mrs and the car again soon.:D

Having seen the car in person I can attest that it is a truly mad beast! The sound is just awesome, and it looks great too.

With all that power and torque you've got yourself a very fun car Chris, congrats again on a job well done.

Nice photos too. :-)

Fantastic job Chris......:wub:

Looks absolutely stunning and glad you kept the spoiler (not.LOL.);)

Get out now and drive it so you keep us envious people at bay with your stories.

Love it and hope to see you, your Mrs and the car again soon.:D

Thanks Dean! When the weather cools down, we'll have to do that Sydney road trip.

Having seen the car in person I can attest that it is a truly mad beast! The sound is just awesome, and it looks great too.

With all that power and torque you've got yourself a very fun car Chris, congrats again on a job well done.

Nice photos too. :-)

Cheers Tim, it was great to cross compare with your car. A moderately worked Turbo should definitely be able to keep up. Hope your car's not off the road for too long.

Great thread  - even better result.  can't wait to see it on the streets on Brisbane which one day hopefully I will.

Outstanding.

Thanks! I'll be taking it out to cars and coffee tomorrow

The car looks awesome. I love the stance. It will no doubt surprise a few people. Very cool. 

It definitely raises a few questions marks... a Porsche RX-7 SS is confusing.

looks great. bet the torque makes it a very willing car haha

haha indeed, The torque makes it effortless. Leaving it in third and winding up some mountain roads is surreal

Thanks! I'll be taking it out to cars and coffee tomorrow

Where is this Cars and Coffee happening..?  I might park around the corner and come have a sticky.. 

Caught up with Chris_f and WOKA today at Bris C&C, and of course the Bastard LS1 944.  Beautiful job on installation and prep of the 944, as it should be, considering the installation was done by a company that also prepares Carrera Cup cars...

As Clutch-monkey says, sounds great, looks great too!  Nice to meet Chris and WOKA.  Good luck with your 996 hunt WOKA!

Cheers @rob..  Nothing quite prepared me for the visual feast that I was greeted with this morning - outstanding..!  Jaw dropping at a minimum..

I was on a very tight time line this morning unfortunately, but next month I'll be there at sparrows..!  Good to catch up - lets hope I don't have to 'park around the corner' next time.!

Strangely enough, one of my most ogled car of the day was that sweet 1976 primose yellow Mazda 808 Coupe - wow, less that 10,000k on the clock..  I have a very soft spot for early Mazda's, though of preference, the RX type.  Next ogled was the black 996TT.  

And that LS1 converted 944 is superb - next time hopefully Chtis_f will twist the ignition key and give it a tickle.!

Caught up with Chris_f and WOKA today at Bris C&C, and of course the Bastard LS1 944.  Beautiful job on installation and prep of the 944, as it should be, considering the installation was done by a company that also prepares Carrera Cup cars...

As Clutch-monkey says, sounds great, looks great too!  Nice to meet Chris and WOKA.  Good luck with your 996 hunt WOKA!

Was good to meet you Rob, and great to get up close to your Azurite blue Turbo. Time to plan a drive day i think...

Cheers @rob..  Nothing quite prepared me for the visual feast that I was greeted with this morning - outstanding..!  Jaw dropping at a minimum..

I was on a very tight time line this morning unfortunately, but next month I'll be there at sparrows..!  Good to catch up - lets hope I don't have to 'park around the corner' next time.!

Strangely enough, one of my most ogled car of the day was that sweet 1976 primose yellow Mazda 808 Coupe - wow, less that 10,000k on the clock..  I have a very soft spot for early Mazda's, though of preference, the RX type.  Next ogled was the black 996TT.  

And that LS1 converted 944 is superb - next time hopefully Chtis_f will twist the ignition key and give it a tickle.!

That was my first time out there too - definitely impressed with the quality and diversity of cars - will have to head out again next month.

haha, you must have only just missed us starting it up

By the way - Does anyone have Grants username / contact details? I was going to send him some details about the KW coilovers...

Thought I better get online.....finally ;)

Chris, great to catch up with you at Brisbane CnC and check out the 'Bastard'...

Car looked great and sounded even better!

Received your email BTW - Cheers.

Archived