THE BASTARD - 944 LS1

Chris, you bloody beauty....

Finally get to see some pics of the bastard & it's great mate. 

Please make sure you let me know when you are down and we will catch up for a drive.

You should be proud of what you have achieved Chris as it looks fantastic.

Love ya work.....

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris, you bloody beauty....

Finally get to see some pics of the bastard & it's great mate. 

Please make sure you let me know when you are down and we will catch up for a drive.

You should be proud of what you have achieved Chris as it looks fantastic.

Love ya work.....

Thanks very much Dean, itching to get it on the road now and looking forward to that drive! 

Cheers! - it's definitely rewarding seeing what I had in my head at the start of the project coming to life.
I'm planning a trip to Sydney in early December, and if the car is ready (and any bugs are worked out) I'd love to drive down. The only other hurdle is my knee... I dislocated it a little while back and am still trying to build muscle strength around the joint. The clutch felt very heavy to operate when I sat in it today.. fingers crossed..

there's a Syd PFA drive organised for 5 Dec, would be great to have you join us for that drive....i'd love to have your v8 944 driving amongst our bunch of 6 cylinder 911s:)   

there's a Syd PFA drive organised for 5 Dec, would be great to have you join us for that drive....i'd love to have your v8 944 driving amongst our bunch of 6 cylinder 911s:)   

Thanks for the invite, that'd be a lot of fun if we can make it (my girlfriend's last day of work for the year is the 4th). Though I did promise her that if we did the long drive we'd do it over a couple of days.. The 40 degree temps, dark paint, uninsulated interior and no aircon would make for a sweaty 12hours!

Wow how did I only stumble upon this thread now!

Chris you may recall we met briefly about 18 months ago and you were kind enough to give me a quick drive of your car (once we got it started with the failing battery haha). That was when it had the new paint and the old S2 3L engine. I was impressed back then but wow has it come a long way. 

You told me you were planning an LS1 swap and I encouraged you to do a build thread a while back. It turned out to be a great read too! You should be very proud of the car you've created. It looks like a real beast and is a testament to the owner. It would've taken real patience and persistence to get it to this point. I'd love to come have another sticky beak sometime. ?

That has turned out very nice indeed. I love it!

Awesome, congrats Chris!

Cheers guys, counting down the days to the first drive now...

Wow how did I only stumble upon this thread now!

Chris you may recall we met briefly about 18 months ago and you were kind enough to give me a quick drive of your car (once we got it started with the failing battery haha). That was when it had the new paint and the old S2 3L engine. I was impressed back then but wow has it come a long way. 

You told me you were planning an LS1 swap and I encouraged you to do a build thread a while back. It turned out to be a great read too! You should be very proud of the car you've created. It looks like a real beast and is a testament to the owner. It would've taken real patience and persistence to get it to this point. I'd love to come have another sticky beak sometime. ?

Hey Justin! Was good to meet you back then... I don't think I would have started this topic if you didn't make the suggestion - it's a great forum here, so cheers. And more than welcome to check out the car sometime. We'll have to organise a drive day... I know there are a few 944s, 968s and 928's hanging around Brisbane if we can coax them out..

Are you still planning to pick up a 944 at some stage?

Maybe we could drag the other cars out to one of the Cars & Coffee events. I'm sure your V8 rumble would turn plenty of heads there haha.

Yes a 944 is still on the cards at some stage but probably not while I own the BMW. This car is such an awesome package it will be difficult to say goodbye to...

• 2 weeks later...

We'll have to organise a drive day... I know there are a few 944s, 968s and 928's hanging around Brisbane if we can coax them out..

I wouldn't need much coaxing ;-)

Any updates? Must be getting real close to takeoff time now.

I wouldn't need much coaxing ;-)

Any updates? Must be getting real close to takeoff time now.

haha, good!

The car was mod-plated by an engineer last week - all of the mods were noted and passed the inspection. I was interstate last week, but apparently the dyno-tune was the last thing left to do. Hopeful I'll be able to pick up the car this week..

Some good information in that thread... I read so many of these before the swap started.. If only there was a kit made specifically for RHD cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

looks good chris. are you still based in brisbane? will be good to see it about (friend of matyas- thought you'd left for melbourne :D )

Hey, thanks.. Yeah I moved back to Brisbane from Sydney this year, so the car will be putting around ;p

• 1 month later...

Well it's finally finished. I picked up the car yesterday and spent an hour or so driving.

Some initial driving impressions...

- Power delivery feels very linear and not as uncontrollable as I thought it might be. There's torque everywhere, a strong consistent push as you move up through the revs. For anyone that owns or has driven an S2 the power band actually feels quite similar but the LS1 is slightly peakier with peak power arriving around 6500rpm. 

- Brake pedal feel is great. A little bit of initial travel makes them easier to modulate and heal toe isn't a challenge at all. Still yet to test their balance or their effectiveness at the limit. But certainly more than adequate for street driving.

- the KW V3 do a great job to inspire confidence with their compliance and body control. Very very happy with these. Bumps are taken in relative comfort with very little nose dive under breaking or body roll around corners. Still far from testing any limits - I was taking it very easy in the on and off rain. 

- The clutch is heavy. I injured my knee a little while back, so I'll probably feel that more than others... but still 2-3 times the pedal effort of the stock Porsche clutch. I also think I'll need to move the seat slightly forward as my leg is almost at full extension depressing the clutch which makes the effort feel even greater. This will probably help a lot.

- The sound. I know it's 'just' an LS1, most of us have heard them on the streets before... the dual 2.5" piping, x-pipe and straight through rear mufflers gives the car a particular aggressive note. Very metallic and mechanical but deep and not raspy. Like tennis ball sized ball bearings being shaken in an oversized metal drum. Well I found it a bit addictive anyway.. Without any sound deadening in the interior, it gives you a massage.

- The car gets hot - the un-insulated heat from the firewall and transmission tunnel combined with the dark paint and lack of Air Conditioning... A a bit of a sauna in the QLD summer... But still, the fun is worth the sweat.

The car is going back in to the workshop on Monday to rectify a fuel leak that reared it's head after a full tank fill-up. Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious and the car will be back on the road soon after.

The guys are going to send me some videos on the dyno.. and I'll get around to taking some proper photos of the car soon too. For now here is the dyno sheet.

12647630_10156461983870244_77466447_n.jpg

Archived