996 Turbo - What to look for.

Blue964

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 996 turbo. As i'm new to the whole Porsche turbo thing I'd be very grateful for any tips on what danger signs I should be looking for when it comes to buying a 996 turbo aside from the usual stuff that is picked up in a PPI.

Thanks in advance. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Porsche 996 - Essential companion book. Fantastic reference about the slight changes in each model year. Suspect you may already have a copy, if not, possibly worth considering.

I have the Porsche 996 - Essential companion book. Fantastic reference about the slight changes in each model year. Suspect you may already have a copy, if not, possibly worth considering.

I have it too.  Yes, great reference before I purchased my 996.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in hunt for one too... 

Hard to find good one, I found good "dodgie" one today

should stay away from blue one on parramatta road..... 

Anyone know now how much to repair rear spoiler Rams??

i found nice low km car today but one of the Rams has failed, spoiler lifts up sideways....

car was real tidy, and I'm about to make an offer on it, but would like to know if it's an easy fix

Call Porsche or PR Technology they'll be able to tell you.  It's a pretty common issue on the 996s from what I understand but mine's never played up.

Just get Porsche do to a PPI on it, they are pretty bullet proof things provided you or the prior owner don't go wild with the modifications.  The Mezger engine is from the GT1 racer and has been used in all the GT 911's through the 996 and 997 range.

Call Porsche or PR Technology they'll be able to tell you.  It's a pretty common issue on the 996s from what I understand but mine's never played up.

Just get Porsche do to a PPI on it, they are pretty bullet proof things provided you or the prior owner don't go wild with the modifications.  The Mezger engine is from the GT1 racer and has been used in all the GT 911's through the 996 and 997 range.

cheers...thanks for reply.

yes, one I found today is a good thing.. No mods what so ever, just a couple minor cosmetic issues, easy fixes. 

If they except my offer, I will be gettin PPi.

i loved it... Didn't know a car could accelerate so hard!!! What a rush..

super smooth and easy to drive around town as well.

what a car... And yes, been told by many how good the motor is in these things.

• 1 month later...

I'm in hunt for one too... 

Hard to find good one, I found good "dodgie" one today

should stay away from blue one on parramatta road..... 

Anyone know now how much to repair rear spoiler Rams??

i found nice low km car today but one of the Rams has failed, spoiler lifts up sideways....

car was real tidy, and I'm about to make an offer on it, but would like to know if it's an easy fix

what's wrong with the parramatta road one please ? Was going to look at it on the weekend

Hi guys, 

I'm also looking for a 996 turbo in the next 12 months all being well. If anyone has negative feedback about ones currently for sale I'd appreciate it as it'll save me wasting some time looking. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived