Cayenne- what is it REALLY like?

Jessie

Everyone seems to have an opinion on Cayenne and people keep telling me about how bad they are, most of whom have never actually driven any Porsche, let alone a Cayenne. For curiosities sake (and because prices are plummeting as the market is flooded which may give me an opportunity to have one for a while!) can anyone here tell me their experiences with them? I don't know much about them but I would guess that being a big fat SUV they would be a lot more wallowy than a "real" Porsche and I do know that they are pretty slurpy. Being a Porsche I would also guess they are a fine motor vehicle in general (was not impressed by my 2000 model ML320 Mercedes Benz...it was temptingly cheap but...it was for a reason- it handled dreadfully and I really hope it just had something wrong with the suspension!) So... do they have inherent faults? Apart from being a bit of a wallowy arrogant looking gas guzzler? :P 

So... do they have inherent faults? Apart from being a bit of a wallowy arrogant looking gas guzzler? :P 

Reports are all good , but like most tanks will chew tyres and brakes. You can only defy physics to an extent.

Are they worth more than their sistership VW Toerag for the badge brag rights? Not my dilemma!

Ah, I will admit to a prejudice... VW is getting a bit too close for comfort to an Audi.. or a Skoda... I know the block and body shares a lot but I know which badge i would buy, rightly or wrongly!

9PA or 92A ? 

I don't know anything about them either way, defer to your knowledge on that one!

I would guess that being a big fat SUV they would be a lot more wallowy than a "real" Porsche 

You'd be surprised...I know I was!

Various family members have/have had them, most notably a 9PA GTS and a current 92A TTV8 Diesel. Both seem to defy physics with how they accelerate (850nm for the latter!!!), stop and corner. Sound bloody good too, even the diesel.

I have just been through this whole dilemma!

My conclusion was that they are a very good car (I was looking for an '04 to '06 model) and I wanted one. Could not find any in Tas except one (and that is another story!! ) and buying from the mainland was proving to be too much of a headache!

In the end a local 06 ML 350 came up and apart from the added go of the 4.5 V8 they are very close indeed (yes the W163 ML was known for wallowy suspension and fixed on the new W164).

The Cayenne has issues with the water coolant pipes in the valley of the V that can wreck the starter if left long enough (plenty of info out there on the net about this issue) and apart from the tyres and brakes (as mentioned) all seemed pretty good about them to me. I am very happy with my ML, and my wife loves it too, so I am happy, does not mean the next car wont be a Cayenne though.... :)

This thread may help you a bit http://porscheforum.com.au/index.php?/topic/6886-cayenne-wanted/

They do handle very well too and have a lot of go!!

Was given a 2014 S from the dealer as a loaner for 6 weeks while my car was in the shop.  It had a couple of hundred klms on the clock so can't vouch for reliability.  I'm not into SUVs at all but that Cayenne was one sweet ride. It's huge but with incredible torque and power, excellent handling and braking. It was obviously optioned up but my view is that if I ever were to buy something like that, this would be top of the list.

I have just been through this whole dilemma!

My conclusion was that they are a very good car (I was looking for an '04 to '06 model) and I wanted one. Could not find any in Tas except one (and that is another story!! ) and buying from the mainland was proving to be too much of a headache!

In the end a local 06 ML 350 came up and apart from the added go of the 4.5 V8 they are very close indeed (yes the W163 ML was known for wallowy suspension and fixed on the new W164).

The Cayenne has issues with the water coolant pipes in the valley of the V that can wreck the starter if left long enough (plenty of info out there on the net about this issue) and apart from the tyres and brakes (as mentioned) all seemed pretty good about them to me. I am very happy with my ML, and my wife loves it too, so I am happy, does not mean the next car wont be a Cayenne though.... :)

This thread may help you a bit http://porscheforum.com.au/index.php?/topic/6886-cayenne-wanted/

They do handle very well too and have a lot of go!!

Yeah, Tasmania is not a great place to source cars, generally! The W164 looks like quite a different beast, much better shape for handling than the W163. I had a phase of buying MBs from that 1998-2002 era and they were all mistakes! Don't get me started on my weird thing where I kept buying A-Classes. I think that is out of my system now (now I have had 4 I think?) I will read through the thread above too... realistically I don't know how it would fit into my life...I am expecting baby #4 late October and no Porsche has enough seats. Family sized cars cause a lot of angst in my house!...I am still curious about the Cayenne though.....

Ah, I will admit to a prejudice... VW is getting a bit too close for comfort to an Audi.. or a Skoda... I know the block and body shares a lot but I know which badge i would buy, rightly or wrongly!

I don't know anything about them either way, defer to your knowledge on that one!

9PA = First generation

92A = Second generation 

Have owned a 9PA V6 for approximately 4 months, mostly driven by the wife. Very thirsty, never get more than about 520 kms to the tank (90L) in stop start city driving but overall we love it. I mostly love the way it handles. Think less SUV and more well tuned sedan in regards to the handling. It's not quite "sportscar" like but the steering is fairly direct and it doesn't roll much around corners. The V6 isn't a bad motor either, I would have preferred a diesel but the six has plenty of power when you need it and it sounds more like a V8. 

Yeah, Tasmania is not a great place to source cars, generally! The W164 looks like quite a different beast, much better shape for handling than the W163. I had a phase of buying MBs from that 1998-2002 era and they were all mistakes! Don't get me started on my weird thing where I kept buying A-Classes. I think that is out of my system now (now I have had 4 I think?) I will read through the thread above too... realistically I don't know how it would fit into my life...I am expecting baby #4 late October and no Porsche has enough seats. Family sized cars cause a lot of angst in my house!...I am still curious about the Cayenne though.....

My previous car was a 97 E320 which I loved. The ML is not the same sort of car handling wise but it continues to surprise me in how they have made such a heavy car move so well! It has plenty of grunt to move it along. It was also up to $10k cheaper...... I am not sure if the ML has the 7 seat option (I know the GL does) the Cayenne does not though...

Good luck with the search!

I've had a series 1 turbo for about 5 years as a daily and its awesome.
The turbo's go like a Porsche and have plenty of poke, also the Turbo's come with all the options pretty much as standard (air suspension, front/rear dual climate control, front rear heated seats etc).  I've only just put a second set of tyres on it (did 50000k out of the last set) and haven't put a set of rotors in, but have changed the pads at last service. 

Service's costs are comparable with a 911, a minor runs about $700 and major about $1200-1400 unless you need consumables. 

We've had plenty of Merc AMGs (and the like M cars etc) and the Porsche's have always been cheaper to run.

Had a facelift 9PA Diesel for 4 years - loved it.  Fast, capable, agile for an SUV and returned 9.8lt/100.  Towed like a demon too.

Not a drama with it - highly recommend and would like another Cayenne in the future

We've had our 2010 (or 11 - can't remember) Cayenne 3.0 TD for a few months now & absolutely love it - for what it is.  If you need a big barge of a vehicle, it's fantastic.  Great torque, perfect for mile eating & we've not been able to fault it in any way.  I was looking forward to hating it when we picked it up from Melbourne - by Yass it had won me over.  I love the thing.  Can't comment on value for money versus VW equivalent.

We recently had to lead a drive day in the Cayenne when two of our 911's were out of action and it didn't hold anyone up.  Admittedly the clients were not familiar with the roads, however the fact it managed to keep out of everyone's way & not disgrace itself further enhanced its view in my eyes.  It fulfils its design brief very well & is able to perform outside of those boundaries as well - which is admirable.

I have a 2005 Turbo as a daily,  and also a tow vehicle for a 2.5t caravan. 

It handles and goes like a Porsche should.

It's built well  ( yes even the early ones,  no matter what people say about the quality )

Go for a 2005 and after if you can.   The PCM is 2.1 and navigation DVD based ( CD in earlier ones ).

Most should have had engine pipes done by now,  but worth finding out if your potential purchase has.

Service costs are not too bad when you consider what it is,  and how well the parts are engineered.

I just developed a pinhole leak in the radiator coolant overflow / expansion tank,  and the part was $190, $28 for a new cap,  and about $320 in labour to diagnose it,  and then replace the leaking one.   It was a small hole too,  so took a while to find.  And that was dealer ( Brighton, Melb ).   The guys there are awesome,  highly recommend them !!! So not too bad really...

Service costs ( $695 for a minor ) isnt bad when you consider it takes 9 litres of Mobil1 0/40 to do an oilchange,  which if you go to Autobarn is $108 for 5 litres.    The dealers also will top up for free if you are driving by.    Be warned,  they are designed to consume oil,  I go through about a litre every 1500km's

I just replaced front pads,  $700

If your not in it,  Join the Porsche club in your state,   you get 10% or more off for everything at a dealer.

Mine uses about 18 l/100km around town,  11.5 on the open road,  and 18-23 with the van on the back cruising at normal speed limits.

For comparison,  my 2013 Holden Colorado dual cab diesel was using 18-20 with the van.

I can live with a few extra $$ when away on a trip.  Much niceer to drive every other day  :)

Cheers

Dale

Us in trip mode  :)

new1 - Copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

we have a 2011 Diesel as our daily. We do a 120km/day commute to work and its been fantastic. Unlike Dale's my diesel uses no oil at all. Never had a to do a top up yet.

We've put just over 40,000 km on it in just over 12 months and its been flawless.

Gets 7.5L/100km combined.

Archived