New to the forum with a shipping question.

Hi everyone. 

I've been on the hunt for a Porsche for some time and spending hours on this forum, and some US forums. I think the sense of community the members show on this forum, helping out each other, is great.

I had a deposit down on an 06 Cayman S two months ago, but the PPI showed a few issues so I gave the vehicle a miss. 

Which brings me to finally joining the forum even though I don't have a Porsche yet. I've found a promising vehicle in Perth and as I won't have the time to drive the it back, thought I'd see if anyone could recommend a really good transport company. 

Just doing my homework if the car proves to be as good as the ad suggests.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Congratulations.  Nice Cayman, S.  You are going to love it.  Sensational cars.

Hopefully we will catch up with you and the C car, when we come up on first couple of days in April.

Very nice car 990SD. How was your experience with CEVA or did you go with another company?

Hi Mike737.

CEVA were good to talk with. Their web tracking was all over the shop with the vehicle travelling back in time to leave before it had arrived at a number of points?? I was informed I was better off just ringing to track.

I paid over $1500 to have the Cayman picked up from the former owners House and delivered to their depot in Canberra.  That fee included "enclosed" transport.  I can understand some dust getting in, but I ended up with what looked like rusty water stains all over the rear of the car.  2 washes later and there are still a number of orange discolouration patches.

IMG_2860.jpg 

I'm going to have to search PFA for advice on polishing or waxing or something to remove the remaining orange marks.  I haven't spoken to CEVA yet.

There was no damage in the sense of scratches or dents.  The vehicle was supposed to be under cover for the duration of the trip but the amount of bug poo over car suggests otherwise.  I believe the car was transported from Perth to Adelaide via train then on a transporter to Canberra. I did ask if enclosed was just the trailers with the canvas sides and was told "no, it will be fully enclosed".  

Delivery times were spot on. 

So I'm not sure how I feel about the overall experience.  A bit disappointed with how filthy the car arrived. I believe CEVA do offer a race car/prestige service, but I thought fully enclosed would be more than adequate?

Congratulations.  Nice Cayman, S.  You are going to love it.  Sensational cars.

Hopefully we will catch up with you and the C car, when we come up on first couple of days in April.

Thanks Niko.

Todays run to the coast for an ice-cream confirmed your predictions.  I've never driven a vehicle so planted and quick! The PASM just soaks up the bumps and keeps the car so settled through rough turns.  The smooth hot mix corners were no challenge at legal speeds. Awesome vehicle!

Thanks Niko.

Todays run to the coast for an ice-cream confirmed your predictions.  I've never driven a vehicle so planted and quick! The PASM just soaks up the bumps and keeps the car so settled through rough turns.  The smooth hot mix corners were no challenge at legal speeds. Awesome vehicle!

they really are a well put together car.   You will love it.

I was recently at a P dealership speaking to one who works there (who shall remain anonymous)  he said to me Porsche made the 911 and they made it with a lot of faults, that they have persevered with and in the main sorted them out and made the best of it.

now they have made mid engined cars, and there's not a lot to sort out.

SO there you go, that's a good rap in my opinion.

Caymans and Boxsters are just a dream to drive, and love the twisty roads.

forgetting the  price difference I had a 2000 WRX a few years back, I thought that was the best handling car, I would probably ever own.   Cayman exceeds that one, with only two wheel drive.....IMHO

That fee included "enclosed" transport.  I can understand some dust getting in, but I ended up with what looked like rusty water stains all over the rear of the car.  2 washes later and there are still a number of orange discolouration patches.

I would use a clay bar on it. They're great at picking up any contamination and really soft on the paint work, but will take a little longer than a cutting and polishing. Just use a bit of quick detailer or similar to apply some lubrication to the area which you care about to work on and then gently rub the clay bar over the top backwards and forwards in straight lines so you don't create swirl marks. When the clay becomes dirty just knead it into itself until the clay is no longer contaminated. Once finished remember to apply wax to the area so the paint is protected. You can pick it all up from your local supercheap, autobarn, etc.

I use clay all the time to remove tar, rubber, tough to remove bugs and bird poop. I've even used it to take paint transferred from another car onto the other halfs car after someone decided to do a bump and run at the supermarket.

they really are a well put together car.   You will love it.

I was recently at a P dealership speaking to one who works there (who shall remain anonymous)  he said to me Porsche made the 911 and they made it with a lot of faults, that they have persevered with and in the main sorted them out and made the best of it.

now they have made mid engined cars, and there's not a lot to sort out.

SO there you go, that's a good rap in my opinion.

Caymans and Boxsters are just a dream to drive, and love the twisty roads.

forgetting the  price difference I had a 2000 WRX a few years back, I thought that was the best handling car, I would probably ever own.   Cayman exceeds that one, with only two wheel drive.....IMHO

I think we may have followed similar paths Niko.  I had a 1999 WRX.  The Cayman leaves it for dead according to the seat of my pants.

I think we may have followed similar paths Niko.  I had a 1999 WRX.  The Cayman leaves it for dead according to the seat of my pants.

Plus the WRX, which I must admit certainly got the armpits sweaty, was a brute force banger when putting the power down.....

where as the Cayman does it all but is just smooooooth as....

I would use a clay bar on it. They're great at picking up any contamination and really soft on the paint work, but will take a little longer than a cutting and polishing. Just use a bit of quick detailer or similar to apply some lubrication to the area which you care about to work on and then gently rub the clay bar over the top backwards and forwards in straight lines so you don't create swirl marks. When the clay becomes dirty just knead it into itself until the clay is no longer contaminated. Once finished remember to apply wax to the area so the paint is protected. You can pick it all up from your local supercheap, autobarn, etc.

I use clay all the time to remove tar, rubber, tough to remove bugs and bird poop. I've even used it to take paint transferred from another car onto the other halfs car after someone decided to do a bump and run at the supermarket.

If the clay doesn't work, there is product called SWIRL which is fantastic for taking swirl marks etc out.   It is only available at certain outlets.  If you need to know more let me know.   Or google it up.   Great product.

I paid over $1500 to have the Cayman picked up from the former owners House and delivered to their depot in Canberra.  That fee included "enclosed" transport.  I can understand some dust getting in, but I ended up with what looked like rusty water stains all over the rear of the car.  2 washes later and there are still a number of orange discolouration patches.

IMG_2860.jpg 

I'm afraid that is just unacceptable. Transport company is liable and should remedy. Personally I wouldn't have signed off at the collection point.

If the clay doesn't work, there is product called SWIRL which is fantastic for taking swirl marks etc out.   It is only available at certain outlets.  If you need to know more let me know.   Or google it up.   Great product.

I personally wouldn't use swirl unless the paintwork is clean first, otherwise you'll have to go through more clear coat than nessicary. This is due to swirl moving the contaminants across the paint work creating extra swirl marks before you start correcting the underlying issue. That's why detailers always wash, clay, then cut and polish. Clay should always work, it's what you use with the clay to break up the containments which may not be working. Hope that makes sense.

I agree with the wash, clay and cut and polish Mike, and that should work, but as I said if the clay doesn't work I would still try the SWIRL, I have actually used it on a couple of occasions, and can only report on the results I got.

if used as per the instructions gives sensational results.   

But each to their own...

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone.  I tested a little bit of Auto Glym polish and the marks came straight off.  Does anyone have a preferred brand of product when it comes to cleaning etc? I'll have to search the forum for car cleaning tips and techniques.

I agree with what you are saying tazzieman but don't want them to "fix" the problem.  I don't usually trust the work of others unless I've seen examples of the work they've done. And I'm sure the transport company would be looking for the cheapest way out....  

I've had this in the past when shipping across the country.  I think its rust and dirt from sitting near the train tracks before loading and having other trains go past.  I had it happen once and rejected pickup.  CEVA cleaned it and then re-delivered it to me.  It was still not 100% but had a more acceptable level of dust/ dirt for such a long road trip. 

And to echo earlier comments, a clay bar will fix it.

Archived