Car Cover

Niko

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a car cover.  

I want one for the Cayman while its in the garage, so only a light one required.

supercheap and REPCO have them, all various models, but I was hoping someone may be able to suggest a brand that they are using and are happy with it.

thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australian car covers do really soft covers, I understand it's a personal thing but I really like them. If it's for indoors and to keep it protected (dust, people brushing past etc.) then maybe worth a look. 

They are made to order, size, colour etc. and they are up in Olinda - probably next door to Steve! 

Just wondering if anyone can suggest a car cover.  

I want one for the Cayman while its in the garage, so only a light one required.

supercheap and REPCO have them, all various models, but I was hoping someone may be able to suggest a brand that they are using and are happy with it.

thanks

Just bought one from Coverworld.com.au its exactly as they said. Happy with it, fits well. Took a bit longer to arrive.

I'm not a big fan of car covers as they can scratch your car. Even the expensive ones. Just make sure the car is clean, waxed and in an area where wind cannot get to it when used and you'll avoid most of the scratching and swirl marks. 

Niko, the genuine Porsche covers are great. They fit very well because they are made exactly for your car and the quality of the lining is great. Extremely soft and won't damage your paint. 

Here is what a 911 version looks like

dave

I'm not a big fan of car covers as they can scratch your car. Even the expensive ones. Just make sure the car is clean, waxed and in an area where wind cannot get to it when used and you'll avoid most of the scratching and swirl marks. 

+1. That's why I like the ones I've recommended above, they are a fleecy extremely soft fabric cover - not a felt or scratchy nylon based product. They are just like putting your car in a soft pair of pyjamas. 

Hi Niko, stopped useing car covers by themselves for the same reasons as above still get miner scratches so got some flannelette sheets and more often an not just use these also can just put in the wash when needed. 

Cheers

Steve.

Thanks Steve, the same flanellete sheet suggestion was suggested by a couple of PFA members on the weekend.  

Might be worth trying before lashing out on a cover.   

Thanks

I agree with using soft bed sheets. Have used car covers on my previous 911 and even my new 981 Cayman and alway found them difficult to fit without assistance. I must say, these were aftermarket car covers and not specific Porsche manufactured covers.

If you use sheets make sure you secure the loose sheets facing the garage door, especially when the door is left open and the wind is blowing. 

Cover covers do get dirty, especially the inside edges of covers and I've found then difficult to wash when compared to the ease of dusting off or washing separate bed sheets. Well in truth my wife, has no problem washing some extra bed sheets.

Have now almost completed running in the GTS with just over 2000ks and really enjoying weekend runs through the twisty Adelaide Hills. Once it gets to around 3000ks will rev it past 7500 in 2nd gear, maybe 3rd as thats all you can really use around the hills without the car being impounded and costing a fortunate in fines. The handling of car is unbelievable, having now "almost" explored its fantastic grip potential. Must say the exhaust sound is fantastic and love changing the PDK manually. Would never go back to a manual geabox, as the PDK changes up and down so quick with no loss of power, F1 style.

More than capable of keeping up with my mates 2007 GT3 in the hills. In fact I would say it handles better. The race track may be where the GT3 really shines. 

Has your GT4 been delivered and if not, when will it land and how are you coping?

Sounds like a gem. I really enjoyed the day I spent test driving the GTS. Was mightily impressed by it. Very glad to hear you are enjoying it and getting some miles in on the twisty roads round Adelaide.

Me, I am waiting rather impatiently still. I believe my car is being shipped this weekend and should arrive in Melbourne around the 1st or 2nd of January so expecting to take delivery mid January by the time it goes through clearance and compliance etc. Cannot wait....

I bought OLD soft bed sheets from an op shop and sewed them together, tied the corners and it fit well. The big knots in the corners helped weigh it down.

I thought it worked well but, the flannelette looses tiny bits of fluff onto the paint. I gave up covering it.

I read somewhere that an earth strap attached to the car in the garage stops the dust?

These are by far and away the best:

http://www.covercraft-pacificshop.com/carcovers/custom_indoor_car_covers.html

- Dust-Top for custom shaped loose fitting

- Form-Fit for custom tight fitting

Made to order and fast delivery. 

Thanks IXELEVEN.   They do look pretty good, Great website as well.    

And....I have to say and the price doesn't scare the bejessees out of you.

Just ordered the Dust Top.:D     

Thanks again for that info

Thanks for everyones input here....very much appreciated;)

Nico, curious to see this when you get it and hear your feedback

Cheers

Dave

No problem boys, full report and photos will be done.

I have ordered it off the website, and they have sent a conformation email as to my order, stating it is being processed.

So, so far they have been good to deal with.

I'd be interested to take a look at it as well. I'm pedantic when it comes to what fibres I allow to touch my car.

Hi Niko,

I have used flannelette sheets with a super cheap car cover over the top.  Get the next size up, so that it can be wrapped under the car, thus reducing / avoiding the wind problem that was mentioned. Can add a heavier blanket(s) over the sheets for added weight.

Make sure the sheets are washed and dried to remove "fluff" which could be left behind when taking the covers off.

Cheers

ps: A Hint, unfold the sheets on the car, so as not to drag across the paintwork.

Have you looked into the inflatable car cover / storage ?

Archived