Car Cover

Niko

Car covers are something i've thought about quite a bit lately. My GT3 is under a carport until we get or garage built (at least 12 months) and the Repco cover isn't really doing the job - the car is very dusty when I remove the cover. I really need a weather proof cover that won't scratch or swirl the paint...is there such a thing?

I always thought covers are only good if being placed and left for a while. Pulling them on and off all the time increases the chances of marking the paint and dirtying the inside of the cover. Maybe one of those inflatable garages is the way to go. Last time I looked they were about $1500 for a semi decent one, probably worth it for the next little while. 

https://www.carcoon.com.au/browse/drive-in-carport-carcoon

I like the idea of these things...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just adding to the overall carcover story:

Having a lockup garage with a pretty good wind seal, I wanted a light parachute dust only cover like the one I bought at autobarn a couple of yrs ago (dark blue) and thought I'd bought same, they're only $35-40. When I got it home and unpacked it, it felt different. It was less fluffy light fabric and felt more plastic, if you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure it was the same one but just seemed like the manuf had cheapened their product, add more polymer goop to their mixture.... I returned it and mentioned it to the autobarn guy and even brought it my other one to feel the difference. I don't think he cared much. I have old cars with delicate duco and could see scratch and scuffing occurring -  got a refund.

My try supercheap next week....

• 8 months later...

Here's my cheap ass car cover, 2 sheets sewn together, care of previous owner;)

20170619_142024.jpg

your one up on me with sewn together sheets... but I have one of mine being a fitted sheet which nicely wraps around the front ?

Though I will confess to one car having a Porsche indoor cover and they are very nice

Yes. Had a soft shell one for four days.  It was huge and took up 3/4 of my double garage. So was of no use.

Mine was also noisy as the fan was blowing the whole time to keep it inflated.

Ben3.0 has one too. His is a hard frame which would be the only option.

4yrs old in November and still going strong, no issues or complaints. The cars battery is always fully charged and the car dust free and protected somewhat.

IMG_1985_zpsh2fum9ja.jpg

IMG_1986_zpsf59xt2pt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

^ Nice house Harv's, Their outdoor covers are a good choice at are a reasonable price from memory. We brought a couple a number of years ago when The fleet outgrew the accommodation and they worked really well. Might be an idea to get a few wood planks to drive onto just to get the tyres off the damp bricks/ground over winter. 

'choice' not house... damn predictive text ?

hate that ?

^ Nice house Harv's, Their outdoor covers are a good choice at are a reasonable price from memory. We brought a couple a number of years ago when The fleet outgrew the accommodation and they worked really well. Might be an idea to get a few wood planks to drive onto just to get the tyres off the damp bricks/ground over winter. 

Even though it's under the carport, it still gets dusty and grubby between drives hence the cover.   No need for the boards, it won't be sitting idle through winter. 

Archived