Car Cover

Niko

Hi Niko,

I have used flannelette sheets with a super cheap car cover over the top.  Get the next size up, so that it can be wrapped under the car, thus reducing / avoiding the wind problem that was mentioned. Can add a heavier blanket(s) over the sheets for added weight.

Make sure the sheets are washed and dried to remove "fluff" which could be left behind when taking the covers off.

Cheers

ps: A Hint, unfold the sheets on the car, so as not to drag across the paintwork.

Have you looked into the inflatable car cover / storage ?

thanks Brian, no doubt the flanellete sheets are popular and certainly an good value alternative.

the cover I ordered is suitable for limited outside use as well, which will come in handy for early morning SMT starts.   Leave it out at night, still in the roofed driveway, but also with the car cover on. This cover allows you to tighten the base also.

the inflatable drive in bubble cover would be great, but my garage is probably not suitable for it, unfortunately.

thanks for the info...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrived this morning via AustPost and had to be signed for.:D

Nicely packaged up.  

Tracking system was great I knew it was coming, so I lay in wait.....:ph34r:

so the AusPost courier couldn't pull up out the front, throw a card in the letter box and head off at the speed of a thousand startled gazelles :P

Will wash the car tomorrow fit the cover on and then hopefully post up some photos of it tomorrow in situ, and give a roving report on what I think of it....

Great service from the company and AustPost I have to say...    

Tracking system was great I knew it was coming, so I lay in wait.....:ph34r:

so the AusPost courier couldn't pull up out the front, throw a card in the letter box and head off at the speed of a thousand startled gazelles :P

They can still do that if they don't feel like being social and knocking on the door. No amount of technology will fix that.

Car covers are great...in particular the bonding that goes on with Mrs RA987 when I ask her to help me.....  :wub:

She really enjoys the experience and loves the fact that we do this bonding when the bachelorette or dancing with the stars is on. :angry:

Give it a go..... really worth it.

Bought one of these two years ago on e-bay http://www.autotecnica.com.au/show-car-covers

The internal side is like fleecy lined PJ's for you car, no marks nothing 

Really happy with it

So I have an indoor fleecy lined cover.

But now the fleecy lining is a bit dirty from not having the car perfectly clean each time it was put on.

So if I put it on a clean car it makes the car a little grubby (mainly notice on the windows).  It's not bad, but just like you wiped them down with a not-perfectly-clean-cloth.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could clean it?  Tad big to stick in the washing machine.

Well here is said, car cover.   It is made of an overlocking type fabric, what you see on the outside is what is on the inside.

It is very soft, and reasonably light.   Have to say it fits like a glove and is very tight around the base.  

I also purchased the extra clips that you can really tie it down with. 

They are like pegs with eyelets on them.   There are 4.  

you clip one on one side in front off the front wheels and a cord goes from that to the other side where the second peg is secured.

The other two pegs and cord you can use the same way on the rear.

Honestly though unless it is outside where it's going to cop some wind I don't think you would really need them.  

When taking it off, If you get into the same habit of flipping it over from each side into the centre, so its only about a metre across and then fold it up in

three sections, it makes it easy to fold back out when putting it back on.   Certainly covers all the car.   And as you can see there is an eyelet either

side  in the centre that you can run a cord (supplied) through to tie it down that way as well.

Comes with a draw string carry bag, which you can stuff the cover into if needed.

At this stage I would have to say it is probably worth the money.   I'm glad I got it.

$249.00 for the cover

$12.73 for the gustguard pegs and cords

$27.27 freight, with Aust Post and includes tracking.

$28.91 G.S.T

$318.00 ALL UP 

DSCN5906.jpg

DSCN5903.jpg

DSCN5902.jpg

DSCN5905.jpg

DSCN5904.jpg

So I have an indoor fleecy lined cover.

But now the fleecy lining is a bit dirty from not having the car perfectly clean each time it was put on.

So if I put it on a clean car it makes the car a little grubby (mainly notice on the windows).  It's not bad, but just like you wiped them down with a not-perfectly-clean-cloth.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could clean it?  Tad big to stick in the washing machine.

DSCN5907.jpg

Have a read of what came with mine Coastr, probably the paragraph above the box would be relevant.   Industrial size washing machine etc.

Hope this helps a bit..

• 1 month later...

Here is my new cover, purchased it from Supercheap of all places for $89. Perfect fit for the 964, looks like it's made out of tracksuit type material, nice and fleecy on the inside. Then a $10 plastic cover that panel shops use so it's dust proof.

image_zpsfsturk1k.jpeg

image_zps2uvvnqte.jpeg

image_zpsq799hv5n.jpeg

Ok so mine had a label 'not machine washable'.  In the end I emptied the kids big toy box and hand washed it, then hung it on the fence and rinsed with the hose.  It was dry overnight so all good!

the plastic over the top is a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a +1 for flannelette sheets. They are fine for the garage and sit loosely on the car so they dont trap dirt etc. I bought black one so you don't get any pilling showing up all over the car like you can white ones. Depends on the colour of your car I suppose...

If i'm honest there is one problem with mine and that's the soft under side pills on the convertible roof cover. :angry:

If i'm even more honest i'd also add that it took me more than a year to figure out i could just put the cover on with the roof down and and it wouldn't be a problem :blink:

Here is my new cover, purchased it from Supercheap of all places for $89. Perfect fit for the 964, looks like it's made out of tracksuit type material, nice and fleecy on the inside. Then a $10 plastic cover that panel shops use so it's dust proof.

image_zps2uvvnqte.jpeg

The plastic over the top isn't a great idea. It doesn't allow the car to breathe, hence promoting the build up of moisture. 

The plastic over the top isn't a great idea. It doesn't allow the car to breathe, hence promoting the build up of moisture. 

Thanks @IXELEVEN, Never had a problem with moisture under the plastic, good point though, I should add. I always take the car for a short drive after washing. Then it will sit in the shed for at least three days with just cloth cover before putting on the plastic. 

I can see moisture being a problem if the car was covered and put away wet.

Thanks @IXELEVEN, Never had a problem with moisture under the plastic, good point though, I should add. I always take the car for a short drive after washing. Then it will sit in the shed for at least three days with just cloth cover before putting on the plastic. 

I can see moisture being a problem if the car was covered and put away wet.

It's more about allowing air flow for breathability, then if the car is put away wet or not.  ;)

A friend and colleague owns and operates what many, including myself, believe is the best vehicle storage service bar none.

Grab some handy tips from their website here:

https://www.windrushcarstorage.co.uk

• 7 months later...

@Niko how have you gone with your car cover? Have you noticed any minor scratching or swirl like marks?

it has been excellent Mike,, definitely no marking whatsoever.

only goes back on, when it has been washed and aquawaxed (autoglym)

Definitely recommend it.

I know you would agree with me that...

I think a lot of problems come when people put the covers back on when the car has been out and not washed before putting the cover back on.

No matter what the day was like it is still going to pick up dust and things on the body.   So no cover until it is at least washed.

Archived