There isn't a tonne of love for 996 but this looks fair value on the face of it.

IMS done, and serviced by T&D..

Decent price.. tiptronic, but still, they are bullet proof. If it has a good body (no previous) then I'd say its OK.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3403164?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&wt.z_driver=Email_SearchAlert

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-26%20at%2011.12.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the price point, I don't think all the 996 hate is warranted. 

I posted this the other day in another thread... Cheapest 996 Carrera = circa $30k ~ cheapest GT3 circa $150k ~ 

i can assure sure you the GT3 is not 400% more of a car by any objective measure. 

I think they're good buying right now.. 

Considering the price point, I don't think all the 996 hate is warranted. 

I posted this the other day in another thread... Cheapest 996 Carrera = circa $30k ~ cheapest GT3 circa $150k ~ 

i can assure sure you the GT3 is not 400% more of a car by any objective measure. 

I think they're good buying right now.. 

possibly 1000% rarer though...

There isn't a tonne of love for 996 but this looks fair value on the face of it.

IMS done, and serviced by T&D..

Decent price.. tiptronic, but still, they are bullet proof. If it has a good body (no previous) then I'd say its OK.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3403164?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&wt.z_driver=Email_SearchAlert

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-26%20at%2011.12.

It's a slippery slope after you acquire a 996 3.4 L tiptronic..., what's next? 98 2.5 Boxster?

It's a slippery slope after you acquire a 996 3.4 L tiptronic..., what's next? 98 2.5 Boxster?

I'm thinking you wouldn't give two fucks what anyone else thinks and just drive it.  Stone chips?  Who cares.  Park it on the street?  Who cares.  The more the km's the better as those km are cheap in terms of depreciation.  Engine shits itself?  Swap it over, who cares about matching numbers?  

How liberating would that be?  Driving for pleasure without guilt. 

Plenty fast enough for any SMT.   The air cooled guys probably won't talk to you at the stops but they rarely talk about anything other than the market and everything has become a bit to serious anyway so no great loss, plus the Boxster and 944 guys are always accepting of the orphans, even 928 owners and don't disparage the choices made by others. 

Maybe the perfect 911 for the real world?

Had a good chuckle at his ad

"the wheel nuts need to be replaced because they are a bit shabby looking". 

"Please no test drives. Go and drive one at a dealer. Then come and buy this .You can drive it once you own it."

Never seen a wheel nut comment like that in an ad before .... and no test drives?? What does he think it is, a Turbo or a GT2 or 3.... it's a $35 grand everyday car - Commodore territory, and not bad value at $35000 - probably the best everyday car you can buy considering most reasons.....

I'm thinking you wouldn't give two fucks what anyone else thinks and just drive it.  Stone chips?  Who cares.  Park it on the street?  Who cares.  The more the km's the better as those km are cheap in terms of depreciation.  Engine shits itself?  Swap it over, who cares about matching numbers?  

So pretty much the same as everyone thought and did with every other 911 before it then...

Until the point in time they are old enough to be cool again.

There has always been a point in time where one particular model is highly regarded and desirable and it would be sacrilege to not treat it with the utmost respect, while another model is not (yet) and it's totally ok to mod the crap out of it because no one cares about them.

Somehow I don't think this is magically going to stop at the 996 just because it became watercooled - or had an inherent engine issue, again like every other 911 that came before it.  Plenty of Mezger engined cars have required very expensive premature rebuilds too...

The world won't stop at aircooled cars.  The hero cars always move first. It did in aircooled and it is happening right now in watercooled.

Remember when it was obvious that a 73RS should not be messed with but do whatever you like to your regular longhood, your S, SC, Carrera etc, heck why not mod the hell out of your 930 too. How bout some body updates/backdates while you're at it.

Right now you'd be mad to mess with a GT2, GT3, GT2/3RS, or Turbo - but yeah...go nuts on your Carrera!

This is what makes them ridiculously good buying at the moment.  

If you do WANT to treat them like that you totally can and who gives a crap - just enjoy driving the heck out of it as the maker intended.

Or, if you want to grab a perfect original Aust delivered matching numbers full history low mileage car now for the price of a rusted out basket case aircooled car you can too!

Plenty fast enough for any SMT.   The air cooled guys probably won't talk to you at the stops but they rarely talk about anything other than the market and everything has become a bit to serious anyway so no great loss, plus the Boxster and 944 guys are always accepting of the orphans, even 928 owners and don't disparage the choices made by others. 

Maybe the perfect 911 for the real world?

I recently drove my 911 88 to the Gold Coast and back. Nope wasn't a delivery job. And I didn't give a rats ass about the stone chips or klms. But what I do care about is the experience.., and it's simply not going to happen with a 996 3.4 L or Boxster 2.5.., so you mortgaged the house to get a 911 and can't make ends meet, who gives a fuck. Live a little! Get what you want. Not only what you can afford. 

165C3B17-DC9C-438A-833B-1769286C07F4_zps

that's not his.., he was after a 2002 996 GT2 initially then settled on a 996 GT3..., definitely not a 3.4 996 tiptronic :)))

I seem to recall that it was not long ago the 964 was the unloved Porsche. Autohaus had a lovely maritime blue c2 sit gathering dust for over 6 months! As for 964 targas...when I lived in Europe they were the same cost as a boiled egg.

I'm sure the 996 will have its day. There's some lovely cars in the 35 to 50k range. 

Proud MemberPosted 1 hour ago ·

I seem to recall that it was not long ago the 964 was the unloved Porsche. Autohaus had a lovely maritime blue c2 sit gathering dust for over 6 months! As for 964 targas...when I lived in Europe they were the same cost as a boiled egg.

I'm sure the 996 will have its day. There's some lovely cars in the 35 to 50k range. 

To true. As soon as the 996.2 man coupes often hit an advertised price in the $30's well into next year,  the nice looked after ones will be snapped up at actual selling prices of around $30...price generally makes everyone change their opinions...

Poetry,

Are you really sure you couldn't have a good time in a 996 or a Boxster? :) 

I definitely could! More definitely in 3.4....

Poetry,

Are you really sure you couldn't have a good time in a 996 or a Boxster? :) 

How could you possibly have a good time???;) What with all those advancements in performance and handling those silly Porsche engineers made over time... What were they thinking? They should have quit while they were ahead in 1973!  I shudder at the thought of having to make such a trip in a 991 GT3RS...one can only imagine how much worse the "experience" has gotten since the 996...:blink:  

Why do so many make out like every advancement in a Porsche is a step backwards???

Oh no...watercooling!  Ugghhh....electric steering!  Grrrrr....sequential PDK shift like a cup car!  

Hello....what about more power, quicker acceleration, higher top speed, bigger brakes, better handling, air con that works, etc etc

I guess it's a case of whatever helps rationalise the car that one has vs the car they don't have/can't afford...

Some people believe 'bigger is better' and others believe 'less is more'. Both have their pro's and con's, just comes down to personal prefernences. 

Personally if I was in the market for a 'cheaper' later model Porsche you can't go past a Cayman, the perfect happy medium in my mind. 

Some people believe 'bigger is better' and others believe 'less is more'. Both have their pro's and con's, just comes down to personal prefernences. 

Absolutely Hugh!  I think it's just a question of "What do you personally value most about a car?" Not "Which is better?"

If what one values is a performance car, the later the better.  If what one values is a classic car, the older the better.

In either case, the further you lean, the closer it will align to the experience you value most.

Of course, one (or more) of each is the ultimate solution!  Then it's like choosing what t-shirt to wear today depending on your mood...  Hmmm....Country Road or Hoonigan!

And yeah the Cayman seems to be a great car.  Especially when you get right up to current models it's probably more like a 911 than a 911 is!

Plenty fast enough for any SMT.   

It's a shame (irony?) in many ways when a car bought for fun rapidly escalates in value and somehow you become all concerned about tucking it away for fear of damage and devaluing it.  I came close to selling my GT2 recently for similar reasons (and shamelessly cashing in on the hype).  Sale fell through so I decided to take off market and this morning went on a spirited run through the hills with a few cars, complete with lots of gravel and twigs.  What's a few stone chips, easily fixed but I believe in exercising the beast as the maker intended.

I agree a stock Carrera is plenty fast for SMT - I was following a standard current shape WRX up Lake Mountain and, while I could have gone faster, we were both travelling rather fast enough........on track, the gap is huge, on road, not so much unless you drive like a complete nutter.

Archived