IMS issues and 997's..?

WOKA

Couldn't really find an existing thread - so..

Following on from the 996 IMS issue thread - how prevalent is the IMS issue with regard to 997's..? 

Whiles looking for a 996 - I'm starting to venture into 997 territory (out of interest with possible intent) and was wondering if the same 'non-issues' as maybe best described exist in this model as well..  

<edit>  Thinking about this, I suppose its a bit of a noob question.  I suppose the better question would be:

What series of engines were impacted and what cars are fitted with these engines..  Perhaps.?

Not keen on the 996 any more?? Early 997s have the same M96 IMS engine so spending the extra cash won't necessarily provide any more protection and the lower end of the 997 spectrum. Later 997s have a bigger more robust IMS but its not serviceable unless you split the motor.

Not sticking to the 50k budget? 

buy any turbo - no issues whatever gen

Yeah - I wish..!  Maybe if I had scrated this itch a while ago that would have been possible - but not now I'm afraid

Not keen on the 996 any more?? Early 997s have the same M96 IMS engine so spending the extra cash won't necessarily provide any more protection and the lower end of the 997 spectrum. Later 997s have a bigger more robust IMS but its not serviceable unless you split the motor.

Not sticking to the 50k budget? 

Still ultra keen on a 996 (I know be patient) but lets not discount a good 997 at the same time..  Yes the budget can increase, though I think the 996 represents better value for money over all if a good later model can be sourced.  Maybe I'm just being naive,  but 996 is where the real value is atm.

Now who wants to buy trade for their wifey a nice 2010 diesel black on black Barry Manilow E92 if it comes to that.  ;)

Like you WOKA, I had nightmares for months on the IMS issue when I was searching. Luckily I found a '05 997.1 Carerra a few weeks ago that had an IMS pro kit fitted along with the RMS replaced. Such piece of mind maintenance that helped me with my decision to go ahead and purchase. If I brought it without and by slim chance it went BANG! I could never forgive myself. Yes, the odds seem to be in everyones favour that it wont go bang, BUT... if it does.... :(

If you are in the market for a 997.1 or 996 I would insist you hunt for one that has already had the upgrade before you purchase or alternatively, work it into your negotiations. Try to get a few grand taken off the price to compensate for you buying it and getting it straight in to you P mechanic to have the upgrade done.

cheers,

I dont want to step on your toes but i'd actually recommend trying to find one that hasn't got an upgrade and has an original bearing. This is for a few reasons:

- Motors can blow up from non IMS related issue service history and regular oil change history and service history is more important. Also an oil inspection is a better indicator of the begning of an IMS failure

- Getting the IMS done under your ownership will allow you to inspect the original bearing that's important because it can allow you to understand what condition the engine is in. If you read up on Flat6's process they wont install an upgrade IMS if the engine already has problems or the original baring is damaged because it will eventually blow up and the IMS is blamed most of the time. Even with the upgraded bearing engines can fail

- There are quite a few IMS bearings available and most are not permanent solutions (only the "IMS solution" is, and is also the most expensive) so when an owner says they have upgraded the bearing there are quite a few and the price varies between them all from cheapest to most expensive (below but this is rough and I may have missed a few). So be weary blanket phrases such as "the IMS issue has been sorted". 

- Pelican upgrade kit (made by L&N but not as robust as their premium products)

- DFI (direct oil fed)

- Roller bearings (its said that these types of bearings dont have thrust control) EPS as well as RND (Flat6 partnership) make these

- L&N classic (ceramic single row)

- L&N Pro (ceramic dual row in place of single)

- L&N IMS Solution (plain oil fed bearing)

These bearings have a service life (i.e. years or kms) (apart from the IMS solution) so even though it may have been replaced it is recommended that they get replaced again after their service life expires. The IMS should be treated as a service item with the clutch. 

• 10 months later...

Was at BWA Auto today and they have a 997 that blew its IMS on startup. Had about 100,000km on the clock. Not sure what year

Yikes, not good

I'd be willing to bet it was a early 997 MK1 as they had the same smaller single IMS the 996 MK2 had. 

Either way not good news for the owner. Do you know if they were going to replace or repair the engine? 

It'll be the earlier bearing. Haven't heard of the later bearing letting go.

Generally there will be metal filings in the oil before an IMS goes bang, so you do get some warning (not always but most of the time). If you own an early 997 or 996 you'd be nuts to not be checking for that on oil changes. Either sieve the oil or run a magnet over it.

Also you can get the LN 'full flow' spin on filter adaptor + filter mag which has nothing but positive feedback (i'm not a sales rep for LN! BTW)... If I had a gen1 997 it makes sense to change the bearing.

The 997 MK2 has a larger bearing that is not serviceable without an engine tear down but there are very few reports of a failing later gen bearing as its larger and more robust.

Do you know if they were going to replace or repair the engine? 

I think the owner was getting a quote for repair and at the time the quote was not finished but was already in the $20ks.  Not sure if this though

I think the owner was getting a quote for repair and at the time the quote was not finished but was already in the $20ks.  Not sure if this though

Yikes, i'm not surprised though. There are a few in the US that have been brave enough to tackle it themselves, what an adventure that would be! 

Saving money? Wonder if this was a dealer option?

Not too sure, from the part number its used across a lot of the models, can't see anything that would be a dealer option but that can't be ruled out.

The transmission has a magnet to catch bits, engine does not. Scary that the recommended oil interval was 15,000kms as well... EEEEP!

I know dealers are keen to have the options boxes ticked , but encouraging people to go for the Porsche Design magnetic sump plug "because then we can check if your bulletproof engine is slowly grenading itself" would seem a touch pessimistic at the point of sale! 

There are aftermarket options like the LN magnetic plug. Only issue is that the torque spec is lower than the OEM and if you get someone working on your car that's unfamiliar with the spec you can damage the plug or worse the sump plate. I've mentioned to LN that they should laser etch the torque spec on the face of the plug but the request fell on deaf ears. OEM sump plug + spin on filter it is for me... I might get a filtermag but that's it. 

Archived