Colour - original or not

Wobbly

Interested in some opinions. My car is in parts, currently sans front guards, bumpers and bonnet which will be replaced. Car was originally gold, but repainted white in the 80's. 

Engine is out and interior partially stripped, but engine bay ancillaries and under hood stuff still intact. Originally I was just going to put it back together after engine + trains rebuild (and rear trailing arm mount adapter, turbo trailing arms, brake upgrade, strut changes, etc etc), shake it down and then repaint in white again. 

Now im wondering if I should put it back to gold. Will need a lot more undercoating (which is currently also in white) plus stripping out the engine bay of the remaining ancillaries. Will no doubt add a fair bit of cost to the process. 

The body is not original (now a steel wide body and will replace fronts with either steel or glass) so not sure whether to go with original and spend the $$$ or stay with the white. Metallic gold wide body iroc/rs3.0 rep anyone??

if it's not original with the guards etc you've already lost that fight with the anoraks regardless, so just paint it the easiest colour and get back into the driver's seat faster..

+1

now, the other question is : what is your favourite 911 color, and should you be considering that right now?  (Assuming it is not white?)

Value will ill only be adversely affected if the paint is sloppy - ie, different colour under hood etc.

Was the original colour Champagne? Something cool about rebirthing the car in its original colour............especially being a colour that's not all that common. 

Gold with black wheels........yeow! Do it! 

I do quite like the white, and only worked out that it was originally gold once I had the door cards off and could see some of the original gold in some of the recesses, and matched this against where some of the undercoat has come off the front inner wheel well which revealed some gold undercoating.  The only 74 colour code for gold I can find is L97H, and a brief google search turned this up as an example. Kind of cool.  Kind of odd as well.  I'm still thinking of keeping it in white at the moment though.

URL]1076E4E4-33D7-4082-BEFA-7062CC46F8BC-452

Normally I'd say go with whatever colour you want, especially white, as it hides a lot of body flaws,  though there's not too many cars released in that colour gold. I agree with Hugh, and that car above looks the mutts doodahs

Hi Wobbly,

That nice looking gold in the photo above is a special order Gold Mica according to this thread:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/388952-id-like-see-gold-metallic-911-pix.html

L97H is listed as Gold Metallic.  In the same thread above it looks like some other versions may be closer to Gold Metallic such as the 73S in that thread:

cave_911S_61203877008_zpsd3uaiqdo.jpg

cave_911S_31203876935_zps8fjckar0.jpg

I love the look of the Gold Metallic but as mentioned above the car is already non original so go with whatever you like.

The gold does look nice and is fairly unique. Funds are a matter of how far down the slippery slope I go. It's already fairly steep. Just got the estimate back for the bottom end work underway and that was pretty eye watering. Hmm. 

The gold does look nice and is fairly unique. Funds are a matter of how far down the slippery slope I go. It's already fairly steep. Just got the estimate back for the bottom end work underway and that was pretty eye watering. Hmm. 

The engine is the most important bit anyway so it's understandable that's where the dough is going, just get it going and tidy it up, happy days:D

The engine is the most important bit anyway so it's understandable that's where the dough is going, just get it going and tidy it up, happy days:D

If your going to go to the extent that @Wobbly is currently undertaking you'd be a fool to cut any corners. Do it once and do it right, much cheaper than doing a half baked job that you'll regret. 

I would also argue that the body is the most important part, mechanicals are easy and quantifiable comparison. 

If your going to go to the extent that @Wobbly is currently undertaking you'd be a fool to cut any corners. Do it once and do it right, much cheaper than doing a half baked job that you'll regret. 

I would also argue that the body is the most important part, mechanicals are easy and quantifiable comparison. 

Hugh, to me it sounds like Wobbly is in 2 minds to go the whole hog or patch and drive. My comments were meant as in the engine is more important at the moment as you can drive a car with some flaky paint but you can't drive a car with a flogged out bottom end, so therefore throw the money at the engine and maybe patch up the body and drive, who cares if looks a bit sad for a while until you decide for sure what to do.     Me, I'm going for gold for sure, it's better than white imho.

Be prepared, as a planned budget is soon doubled

Hugh, to me it sounds like Wobbly is in 2 minds to go the whole hog or patch and drive. My comments were meant as in the engine is more important at the moment as you can drive a car with some flaky paint but you can't drive a car with a flogged out bottom end, so therefore throw the money at the engine and maybe patch up the body and drive, who cares if looks a bit sad for a while until you decide for sure what to do.     Me, I'm going for gold for sure, it's better than white imho.

Sure, I get that......but.............its a huge amount of work to put a car back together (without paint) only to then pull it back apart to paint - now is the time to paint hence why I'm guessing Wobby is asking the question. Engine/mechanical's can and generally have to wait, much easier to re-address them at a later date - same cant be said for paint & body prep. 

When you've come this far it makes little sense to rush, money comes and goes, opportunities to build your dream Porsche are few and far between. 

P.S Plenty of 911's getting around with flogged out bottom ends! 

I will be able to tell you my favorite colour in a couple of days ;) 

Mine was originally gold as well, but I can confirm that is not what I am painting mine. I say build it like that picture you had of a Porsche in your head as a kid. Nothing better than making that dream car your own.

Definitely not concourse, more like hot rod. I like the white. I also like the Gold but not sure if it's something that would get tired after a while. I may have a plan though...

Definitely not concourse, more like hot rod. I like the white. I also like the Gold but not sure if it's something that would get tired after a while. I may have a plan though...

you thinking taco style and doing both! 

Yeah for me that sucker would be headed for some wide body guards, 17 inch Fuchs knockoffs and a fresh coat of guards red.

but paint it whatever colour you like and think outside the white or gold box to see what you really want.

its true you will forget the money in 5 years time

Fortunately it's already wide bodied (currently half - need to source front wings yet) and I have a set of 17" whittam Fuchs replicas. I don't even have the bottom end back from machining yet and I'm already thinking about a stage 2, as I have a set of spare mahle cylinders now which could be bored to 2.8, but would be best mated to some higher clamping force valve springs and a wilder cam (Ge60/80) than currently planned (S or mod-S).

So might put it back together and get the new panels sprayed to match (ish), which hopefully won't be too hard with white. Then decide on whether to keep or respray on phase 2 of the motor if it comes, with hopefully more insight as to how much I want to keep it white or not. 

I do like white, always have on porsche. But the Gold is growing on me, and you don't see many around...

Archived