Wanted: Porsche 924 banger

TrevMcRev

Hey PFA collectiv!

I'm on the prowl for a 924.

Not a minter. More so an ok driveable (or close) project car.  

Mechanicals more important than body or interior.

Think non-competitive "rally/safari" style build.  

Suspension jacked, rally tyres, light pod, mud flaps, half cage, period Martini/Rothmans livery. 

Something that has a Porsche badge on it that you can take for a drive out into the hills, but turn off the main roads and hit the gravel and go hang some skids. 

Something to tinker with over the next 6-9 months, make how I want, then drive it anywhere with zero f*#$'s given.

I'd love to do it with a 911 but finding the right car at not silly money is eluding me... by all means let me know if you have that too ;)

Open to a 944 maybe, but kind of digging the basic-ness of the 924.  

Martini edition, all the better!

Not looking to pay over the odds for a mint car when i'll rip out half the interior and do unspeakable things to it.

Hit me up with what you've got.  Let me know what you've seen lurking in someones shed, barn, or paddock.

Sorry, I can't help you with finding a 924...

...but I just noticed that the German in your profile information has some mistakes. It should be: "Silberner 911 und ein weißer Cayenne". :P

Sorry, I can't help you with finding a 924...

...but I just noticed that the German in your profile information has some mistakes. It should be: "Silberner 911 und ein weißer Cayenne". :P

dd3711173294ac30fa4e09d84d36d7d7.jpg

I least I didn't say i'm a jelly donut!

Ick+bin+ein+Berliner.jpg

You would do that to a Martini,  not too many people would sell you one if they knew you were doing that to it.

Yeah @TINGY944 if I found a Martini or a Turbo it would probably be a bit more respectfully built, but built to be driven properly all the same.

Who wouldn't want to see their car built like the 924 version of Luftgekühlt 911 Safari car or Leh Keens Safari car?

If not..they'll just have to...

2z6Z3K3.gif

Yeah 

3500 red 924 on gummie - also you see the 924 rally car at Rennsport... 

I didn't go to RS but did see some pics of the repco car, looked pretty cool!?

Will pull out the false teeth and check out gummie!

It's doable ;) They do exist.

Not sure where you'll get the wide body, as i've never seen one up for sale or even if someone makes it. But don't need to go that path. 

Can get larger fiberglass spoilers. or 1 from a 944. 

The 924 GTS headlights are available - http://www.deutschnine.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=porsche-transaxle&Product_Code=D9-924-GTS&Category_Code=porsche-transaxle-924-aero-dynamics

Should add the front lights (last photo) for the cool factor. 

1378d1063876776-rally-924-02rallya1.jpg317762d1227706908-any-rally-944-s-931-rambo_dsc00507%20(1200x801).jpg1fbfb786b9e784b732b19b4ee7b58a65.jpg

also you see the 924 rally car at Rennsport... 

Friend of mine owned the Repco 924 many years ago. I had the headlight perpex covers off it at some stage as he changed it back to pop ups (as well as removing all the rally gear and stickers). Damned if I can find those covers now though.

Friend of mine owned the Repco 924 many years ago. I had the headlight perpex covers off it at some stage as he changed it back to pop ups (as well as removing all the rally gear and stickers). Damned if I can find those covers now though.

Provided this gets off the ground - if you find any old period rally bits let me know!

My 1981 924 Turbo will be on eBay in a couple of weeks.  I just need to get off my arse and sort out the misfire so it's running on 4 rather than 3 when it goes on the market.

I inadvertently got good at surfing so my weekends are spent in the water practicing for the next comp rather than in or under the car.

Trev it is a great idea and i love the look of the 924 with the blistered guards.

I'm not a fan of tearing apart a good car to make it something else, just my take on it, there are a few tired cars out there that would be perfect for projects of this type that can be obtained fairly cheap.

I hope you do it mate I would love to see it.

there is also a caged 924 with blistered guards on gummie

Yep, that's an option, but would require a donor car.

My advice is don't go all wide body on an NA 924 - with the extra rubber you'll NEVER break traction with 125hp (and as we all know, breaking traction can be much fun).

Lexus quad cam should fix that... There's one in QLD 

as for traction stand start spins... it's sideways through a dirty corner that I'm thinking Trev is heading ... buy the caged car then a shitter complete car and then some 944/928 component upgrades in the suspension braking areas . See you in 2 years 

Lexus quad cam should fix that... There's one in QLD 

as for traction stand start spins... it's sideways through a dirty corner that I'm thinking Trev is heading ... buy the caged car then a shitter complete car and then some 944/928 component upgrades in the suspension braking areas . See you in 2 years 

Yep, the Lexus apparently fits but I am not sure how you'd sort engine management. There's VVTi on that engine isn't there? Would you have to use the original ECU?

I had the same thought about the caged car, but I would have said three years and one divorce to completion.

split the diff 30 mths

the Lexus powered 924 I've seen used by memory  some after market gear. Not so much the point, though the caged 924 makes an interesting start proposition for a rally inspired build

The full caged shell would be perfect if I wanted to build an "actual" rally car...  I already have one of those so that is (currently) not the plan with this.

I think it'd be a nightmare to get that on the road from scratch with the full cage.  That said was rally car was previously on full road reg with a full tower to tower cro-mo cage...but it started life registered before the build. And if I wanted to run in proper competitive rallying again it'd be easiest to just take the Lancer I already have and go.

The vision for this would be a registered (full/club/historic?) car that I can take for a SMT and when you all take the tarmac twisties around the mountain, I hook a left, spear off up some gravel shire roads spraying rocks as I go slideways through the forest, and meet you out the other side of the range covered in mud and stone chips grinning ear to ear!

So a half cage would probably do.  But I would talk to my cage builder about how it could be done so it could be extended to a full complying cage should I want to compete in it some day.

That caged car would not be a bad thing to snag and have sitting handy though!  Just don't think it'd be that starting point for this build.

Archived