Security

Hughesy

Yep, don't bother with the off the shelf so called "trackers" they have poor coverage in country areas and definitely don't work in a tin garage.

I should clarify, the one I had was crap, it was a good brand and quite expensive. The software is crap and hard to use.

Just about everyone these days has an old iPhone lying around. Stashing it in the car with a charger hard wired. Then use one of those phone trackers or find my iPhone apps.

Get a pre paid plan, which you have to for a tracker anyway and your done.

Nice lateral thinking! 

Yep, don't bother with the off the shelf so called "trackers" they have poor coverage in country areas and definitely don't work in a tin garage.

I should clarify, the one I had was crap, it was a good brand and quite expensive. The software is crap and hard to use.

Just about every one these days has an old iPhone lying around. Stashing it in the car with a charger hard wired. Then use one of those phone trackers or find my iPhone apps.

Although I have no experience of trackers here in Oz, they were around for a long time in the UK and it was a deeply flawed technology. All the pros knew that you stole the car, and, as Fraz said, put it in a tin shed (or back of a suitable enclosed truck and then had all the time in the world to remove the tracker from any one of the "standard" 6-8 positions that it was usually fitted in. The only time you got the car back was when it was stolen by some idiot boy racer who hooned it round the streets before being caught, so what you got back was a totally trashed car. Ultimately, if your car is stolen, you probably do not want it back (unless it really is irreplaceable) because you really don't want the hassle with insurance arguing over how much the car has or has not been trashed. If it's found with bits having been stripped, again, the hassle is unreal. In short, if the car is properly insured, the only downside to not getting it back is the time it takes to get paid out.

So, while I like Fraz's option, the best one really is to make sure it isn't stolen in the first place. Things to consider are a good immobiliser, removable steering wheel and a mini safe for the keys at home (most cars are stolen from home with their keys), plus a good dose of common sense. 

Although I have no experience of trackers here in Oz, they were around for a long time in the UK and it was a deeply flawed technology. All the pros knew that you stole the car, and, as Fraz said, put it in a tin shed (or back of a suitable enclosed truck and then had all the time in the world to remove the tracker from any one of the "standard" 6-8 positions that it was usually fitted in. The only time you got the car back was when it was stolen by some idiot boy racer who hooned it round the streets before being caught, so what you got back was a totally trashed car. Ultimately, if your car is stolen, you probably do not want it back (unless it really is irreplaceable) because you really don't want the hassle with insurance arguing over how much the car has or has not been trashed. If it's found with bits having been stripped, again, the hassle is unreal. In short, if the car is properly insured, the only downside to not getting it back is the time it takes to get paid out.

So, while I like Fraz's option, the best one really is to make sure it isn't stolen in the first place. Things to consider are a good immobiliser, removable steering wheel and a mini safe for the keys at home (most cars are stolen from home with their keys), plus a good dose of common sense. 

I find that a pair of German shepherds works really well also!

Just about everyone these days has an old iPhone lying around. Stashing it in the car with a charger hard wired. Then use one of those phone trackers or find my iPhone apps.

That's sounds brilliant. 

Thanks 

was chatting to mate last night over a beer and he was telling me his near new Panamera was pinched 2 weeks ago from outside his place in Drummoyne (no garage).  They had watched the car, knew which house he lived in and then broke into the house so they could find the keys, spare was in a draw. No tracker but they had pinched a car that did have one (17 cars in 6 weeks) and obviously not in one of the standard spots as they missed it. They found them all in a basement garage in the inner west of Sydney with his Panamera wrapped and packed ready to go into a container. Apparently they ship them to Asia then onto other countries. As Simon mentioned this lot always broke in to steal the keys and drive the car away.  Cops are pretty chuffed as they smashed a major car theft ring. They still have his car for forensics and he is probably going to move it on when he gets it back as his wife is giving him grief saying its too high a risk (target) parking a Porsche in the street.  Interesting twist was the thieves decided to take a few of her very expensive handbags when they were in the house. He thinks she was more pissed at that than the car going missing......:ph34r:

Detachable steering wheel is also a good deterrent if you have a custom wheel, and hide it.

I'm fitting one to mine soon, mainly because I like the race car look thing, yet I'm also paranoid when people see me drive into my shed. Who knows who is watching! 

Insurance is one thing to get your money back, yet losing a car you're attached to would be a horrible experience. Hide your keys where noone but you and the missus know where they are, and not in a drawer

This thread came at a great time. Just the other day I was looking at all of our keys lined up nicely on hooks in our kitchen pantry providing a crook a smorgasboard of cars to choose from. Mini safe just ordered and will at least be an improvement on our current situation.  Thanks for the heads up.

Having had a car stolen back in the UK by the thieves breaking into the house for the keys, quite honestly I leave them within fairly easy access. They're not in sight, but in an obvious location. If someone is brazen enough to break in for them then they're most likely to be tooled up to threaten and not afraid to do so. The last thing I want is my wife or I to be harmed in that kind of situation, they're welcome to the car. A friend and his wife were beaten up for the keys to his Subaru many years ago, it really isn't worth the heartache believe me.

As for a tracker, the old iPhone is a good one and very easy to hide.

I have mentioned this before, but I love the immobilisers that require you to be touching a particular screw to start the car. The find my iphone idea though is a great one o keep in mind.

I am pretty happy that my household security is good enough that if somebody breaks in while I am not there, they won't get the keys. If they break in while I am at home, not only do they not find the keys, but if they want to come looking, they find 2 large dogs. It takes a very brave thief not to run when they hear 2 large dogs bark.........

But if you really want to be totally safe, yes, give them the keys. And all of this reminded me of a system that was popular in the UK some years ago (no clue if it is available here). Simply, it allowed you to start a car and drive it away, but if you didn't "neutralise" the system within a given time (up to 3 minutes), the engine power was slowly cut until the car was at a safe low speed and then it cuts out totally and starts a noisy alarm and flashes all the lights. Turning off the system usually meant pressing a hidden button or similar. Takes a special type of crim to not run away as quickly as possible when the car stops in the middle of the road, horn going and all light flashing! I knew a few people who got their cars back because of this. There was also a variant on this that allowed you to set up the system so that it armed after the doors were opened, so as to stuff hijackers. By the time they realise that they have been tricked, they are far enough away so they cannot attack you in revenge.

I am pretty happy that my household security is good enough that if somebody breaks in while I am not there, they won't get the keys. If they break in while I am at home, not only do they not find the keys, but if they want to come looking, they find 2 large dogs. It takes a very brave thief not to run when they hear 2 large dogs bark.........

But if you really want to be totally safe, yes, give them the keys. And all of this reminded me of a system that was popular in the UK some years ago (no clue if it is available here). Simply, it allowed you to start a car and drive it away, but if you didn't "neutralise" the system within a given time (up to 3 minutes), the engine power was slowly cut until the car was at a safe low speed and then it cuts out totally and starts a noisy alarm and flashes all the lights. Turning off the system usually meant pressing a hidden button or similar. Takes a special type of crim to not run away as quickly as possible when the car stops in the middle of the road, horn going and all light flashing! I knew a few people who got their cars back because of this. There was also a variant on this that allowed you to set up the system so that it armed after the doors were opened, so as to stuff hijackers. By the time they realise that they have been tricked, they are far enough away so they cannot attack you in revenge.

I drove one of the original 2 door STi's that were sold in Aus years ago that had a system like that. I am not sure if it was a seat pressure sensor, or the seat belt, that kicked it in, and you had to put in a code into a hidden keypad to override it. Great system, as you could probably find your car on a main road within as short distance from your house.

I drove one of the original 2 door STi's that were sold in Aus years ago that had a system like that. I am not sure if it was a seat pressure sensor, or the seat belt, that kicked it in, and you had to put in a code into a hidden keypad to override it. Great system, as you could probably find your car on a main road within as short distance from your house.

2005 STI's have a code punch in system too, worked really well but gave you the shits punching it in everytime - but had to remind myself it was to preserve my baby...

• 2 weeks later...

This thread came at a great time. Just the other day I was looking at all of our keys lined up nicely on hooks in our kitchen pantry providing a crook a smorgasboard of cars to choose from. Mini safe just ordered and will at least be an improvement on our current situation.  Thanks for the heads up.

Mini safe arrived and installed. P keys safely stored in safe and I'm feeling more secure.

Archived