Insurance! Who finds it difficult?

SteveC

Insurance has been a constant issue with these cars

anyone here had a similar issue with car values or age?

Porsche Insurance is a good start, Shannon's don't touch below a certain age bracket, others like RACV and AAMI are a direct no...

I hear lots of good stuff about Shannons, and everytime I call for a quote, they are ridiculous.

Currently with Porsche Insurance... excellent to deal with so far.  Probably going to move my other cars to them as well.

I have been with Shannons for over 10 years. Sometimes they have been a little difficult to deal with (premium rises in the past that were too high, but a simple phone call rectified that) but on the whole better than any other company I have been with. Paid out my claim with no hassles and apart from some miss-communication from local to head office was smooth sailing, more so considering what was involved!

The last 2 cars that I have insured with them (928 and ML) I have insured for more than what I paid for them at the time, simply told Shannons that I bought for a good price :)

Porsche Insurance is a good start, Shannon's don't touch below a certain age bracket, others like RACV and AAMI are a direct no...

What age bracket is this? Porsche related? I had my 67 Mercedes with them.

I found that Shannon's wouldn't insure my 964 for what the market was paying, but it was still well above what the majors (GIO etc.) would. This was after providing them with photos. My car is in good condition and is stock.

I ended up going with Lumley Special Vehicles who covered the car for about twice what my previous insurer would go up to (GIO) for a similar premium. This was prior to providing photos. The guy I spoke to was easy to deal with and kept me up to date.

I rang Porsche Insurance for a quote - they said they'd get back to be but never did.

My father in law insures his 996 with NRMA vintage/classic, but the restrictions on it would be too restrictive for my purposes (# of kms / year, # times you can drive it a week etc.). If they don't phase you, check it out, it's quite cheap.

Problem with AAMI is that you don't get to choose your repairer

I ensured with AAMI, no dramas, agreed value and very reasonable premiums. Whoever is saying they don't cover Porsche's needs to check back, simple to do online !

After years of insuring the RS with Shannons, I felt their quote for the 3.2 Carrera was a bit high so I shopped around. NRMA vintage/classic was very, very cheap, no problems on the agreed value and has all the nice little extras you expect from a top insurer. Having 3 other "normal" cars insured with them, plus the house, I have also experienced their customer service during claims and they are first rate.

The only downside is that they limit you to driving no more than 10 days per month, but that suits me fine.

Insurance has been a constant issue with these cars

anyone here had a similar issue with car values or age?

I switched from Lumley to RACV's recently added Veteran vehicle policy last year.   Competitive on price and no quarrel over value on a 35 year old car.  If I need to claim, then hopefully it will go as smoothly as other claims I've had to make on RACV recently.  

I've been with Lumley's for 8+ years but currently considering a switch to Famous Insurance.  Lumley's have a couple of restrictions that have been bugging me and Famous seem to be far cheaper with the same agreed value.  I don't think you get salvage rights with Famous but you do with LSV.

I am with NRMA veteran/vintage whatever it is and cannot fault it, they insured for the price i wanted and the policy is pretty good, firstly I rang Shannons because that's who you get when you have a collectible car right? Wrong, the premium was ridiculous, got on to NRMA and the premium was less than a third of the price of Shannons, ok i have all my insurance with them and i shop around every year for greenslip and ins cover when the renewal is due, but NRMA is always cheaper for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Shannons over the phone last Friday were "difficult".

Shannons in person today were courteous , professional , enthusiastic and happy to accommodate my desire to increase coverage on 3 cars. Because as they told me  I was being reasonable & realistic & have a good record. They didn't even want to see date stamped pics I had taken early today to satisfy the phone operator. More than happy with them!

Shannons over the phone last Friday were "difficult".

Shannons in person today were courteous , professional , enthusiastic and happy to accommodate my desire to increase coverage on 3 cars. Because as they told me  I was being reasonable & realistic & have a good record. They didn't even want to see date stamped pics I had taken early today to satisfy the phone operator. More than happy with them!

I got similar response when I enquired about raising values of my 928, wanted photos, etc...

Did you have to book in or did you just show up? (and in one of your cars no doubt)

I got similar response when I enquired about raising values of my 928, wanted photos, etc...

Did you have to book in or did you just show up? (and in one of your cars no doubt)

I showed up in person. They were teaching a new guy the ropes and in great detail I learnt what I already new about which customers you trust and which customers are problematical. And btw it seems I am an atypical Porsche owner, attitude wise. If you know get my drift ;)

I showed up in person. They were teaching a new guy the ropes and in great detail I learnt what I already new about which customers you trust and which customers are problematical. And btw it seems I am an atypical Porsche owner, attitude wise. If you know get my drift ;)

I will make a trip there soon in my 928 :)

I hear lots of good stuff about Shannons, and everytime I call for a quote, they are ridiculous.

Currently with Porsche Insurance... excellent to deal with so far.  Probably going to move my other cars to them as well.

Exactly the same experience for me. Competitive prices, accepted my suggested agreed value without photo's etc.

Made a claim earlier this year through Dawes (Porsche is just the broker), and they were very good to deal with. Had renewal this month and all smooth with minimum increase in premium. 

Archived