Smoke

JB

Hi guys, a bit worried. When I have started the car cold in twice in the past two days I am getting a big waft of black smoke from the exhausts upon start up then it immediately clears.

normal? Is it because it's being started and moved and not driven? Haven't noticed it before. It's in at porsche tomorrow so I was hoping I can have some understanding before raising it.

thanks

Yup normal.

Do yourself a favour and refrain from googling it. You'll be up till 4am reading countless threads and theories.

My Carrera did it a bit, then it didn't, but sometimes does. Not much though.

The 930 didn't, then did a bit, then didn't. Now sometimes after an extended break. If I park it on the wrong angle and oil doesn't drain out of the turbo fully, there's a smoke screen - only happened a couple of times - scared the sh!t out of me.

My other one with the 964 turbo engine doesn't at all. So far.

Normal.

EDIT

And I just realised this was in the watercooled section. So there ya go. 

My Boxster did it and it was the AOS needed replacement. It has done it again since a couple of times, scared the sh1t out of me.

I had started it, let it go through the choke to idle and moved it, then switched it off. The next start up was smoky.

Rare in my case.

Black smoke is generally not an issue (running rich). White/bluish smoke is oil, which can be more of a concern. Then it can be AOS (easy fix) or something more sinister, but that sounds fine.

Thanks guys, makes me feel much better. Past two days we have been working around the house with a skip so have moved her out of the garage into the road and back in twice, both occasions black smoke even though I have started and let it run for a minute or two before moving.

will mention aop to Porsche tomorrow however have only had this come up in the past two days with not being driven so theory makes sense. Knowing their finely tuned makes sense.

thanks again can sleep tonight.....?

Hi Steve, it's a lot! And I'm old school so smoke means issue. Is it oil sitting after build up? 

Thanks 

JB

To give you a more complete answer the black smoke on start up when very cold is from the richer than normal mixture needed to aid starting.  Since the catalytic converters aren't up to temperature they allow the sooty hydrocarbon rich  exhaust to be seen at the tailpipe.

The other blue smoke that the others have hinted at above comes from engine oil finding its way into the combustion chambers after sitting a while.   Since the cylinders are horizontal and in the Mezger engines the oil tank is higher than the sump, it's pretty much inevitable and part of the charm.  You won't notice it often, usually only occurs when your non enthusiast wife, family or friends are watching!

The other blue smoke that the others have hinted at above comes from engine oil finding its way into the combustion chambers after sitting a while.   Since the cylinders are horizontal and lower than the oil tank it's pretty much inevitable and part of the charm.  You won't notice it often, usually only occurs when your non enthusiast wife, family or friends are watching!

Not sure this is so true with watercooled as it's a wet sump these days, but the possibility is still there since it pumps oil to the top of the engine on startup. So a quick startup and shutdown could cause what you are talking about on the m96 engine onwards since the oil pumps moves a significant amount of oil back up to the top of the engine during startup. GT series engines from my understanding are still all dry sump.

Mine won't do it for ages, and then  Wooshka garage is full of smoke, the 993 did it too.It's  just one of those things that boxer engines do occasionally  to cause sleepless nights. 

ditto with my GT2.  

Thanks Mike for that correction.  You are right about the different engine type and I regret I didn't give a clearer answer at all in the end!

No worries Peter. Definitely filled in some knowledge for me on the aircooled blowing smoke :)

Hi guys, thanks again for the help and advice.

got the car back today from PCB and along with some other minor warranty things they fixed, they replaced the AOS. Apparently there was something wrong with it, was blocked and taking in too much air....

All good now, driving like a dream.

cheers

• 1 month later...

I had/ have the same. Normal and sporadic.

The last time I pulled the car out the garage to clean it - no smoke. The started it to put back in the garage and ----- puff (always impresses the wife :P)

if it's ongoing it could be the oil separator needing repayment. 

as @shadyspeedway says, it's just oil making it was at irregular intervals.

I understood the rings can align at times. If they are all at '6 o clock' after shut down. Oil can make it's way along to the combustion chamber. Random.

Interesting... when re-assembling a new motor, we all go to great pains to align the rings and 9, 12 and 3.. so that there is no chance for them to align or so that oil doesnt seep through if the ring gap is at 6pm position.. but if the rings all move around anyway, then why bother with alignment during assembly?

Rings slowly rotate around the piston.  This is the reason that they are pinned on two stoke engines to prevent them rotating so that a ring end can't spring out the exhaust port and get jagged.

As for aligning the ends of the ring ends so they don't coincide when rebuilding I don't know.  OCD I guess. 

Interesting... when re-assembling a new motor, we all go to great pains to align the rings and 9, 12 and 3.. so that there is no chance for them to align or so that oil doesnt seep through if the ring gap is at 6pm position.. but if the rings all move around anyway, then why bother with alignment during assembly?

Yeah. This is what I was told at trade school. evidently once the bores are glazed and the tension of the new ring has been lost through wear things can move apparently? An old P car guy explained to me.

Archived