928 speed

ANF

All you 928 owners out there, are your speedos accurate? I keep getting passed and have people tail gate me no end, driving me bonkers. I am sticking to the same speeds as in my Merc, are 928 speedos accurate or is it just mine, alternatively is everyone else speeding up because I am in a Porsche.... :blink:

I reckon mine reads high by about 5kph at around 100kph.

Cheers. From the speeds that I am being passed by, I reckon mine is 10 km/h out at about 60....

Does anyone know if the speedo sensors can give the wrong reading? Tyres are the standard size.

My car(86 952) is exactly 10 k out at every speed. I was suffering same problem for first few days(holding up traffic) till I checked it with a navman. My stereo now has satnav so I drive with speedo displayed on it and TBH am used to speedo being exactly 10 k out, so haven't bothered seeking a repair

On the way back from Brisbane in the 944, I had the same problem with holding up traffic and people overtaking me ..... worked out that it was approx. 10% out over about 40k's ..... so in the 100 zones, I was only doing 90

Have been told that it's an inherent problem across the 944 / 928 range.

My rear engined beauty would never let me down like this! .....  :ph34r:

My 944 over reads by about 10km/h...no big deal. What annoys me though is that means it also over reads on the odometer. I checked it against some 5km markers on the highway, and it read 200m over.

Thanks for the replies guys, seems like 928s and transaxle Porsche do not have very accurate speedos! Sad as their cross town rivals, Mercedes have extremely accurate ones which is what I am used to! Will need to figure out a way to drive to the limit without exceeding it, not a fan of digital supplementary readouts.....

Cheers

My rear engined beauty would never let me down like this! .....  :ph34r:

Just kill you with its deadly handling traits ..... :P

Just do the maths on the fly 44, 55, 66, 88, 110, 120 its that easy!

Here in the police state they give you 2-3km/h except in 110 zones.

That's about right for the 996 and apparently that is a purpose built feature to save you speeding ;) 

No, annoyed, if Mercedes can do, among many others then Porsche should be able to, it is not a little bit out it is way out....!

10% is within normal limits , given age etc

Doesn't bother me , I just drive according to the prevailing conditions.

What you are missing is, it is out exactly 10 kph at all speeds if it is like mine. GPS can confirm. It is not 10% out, it is wrong exactly 10kph all the time, so it actually is very accurate, if you compensate for the 10 k, so 40 is 50, 50 is 60, 90 is 100 etc. I have not checked above 110 kph of course :) YMMV or maybe that should be YKMV ;)

What you are missing is, it is out exactly 10 kph at all speeds if it is like mine. GPS can confirm. It is not 10% out, it is wrong exactly 10kph all the time, so it actually is very accurate, if you compensate for the 10 k, so 40 is 50, 50 is 60, 90 is 100 etc. I have not checked above 110 kph of course :) YMMV or maybe that should be YKMV ;)

Cheers.

What is with all the acronyms these days, I continually have to look them up! Am I that old (the answer is no by the way!) :rolleyes:

Just checked mine today against a gps - over-reads by about 2-3kmh up to about 80kmh. It's a bit of a guess for me as my speedo has mph as the major scale, with kph in smaller type. But it all seems to match up - indicated 38mph/61kmh is gps 59kmh and indicated 52mph/83kmh is gps 80kmh for example. Pesky imports...

Archived