SOLD 996 GT2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It arrived today. Went round dad's and had a quick look at it tonight and a short squirt around the block. First thing that grabbed me was how small the car looks in the flesh, I was expecting it to be bigger for some strange reason (the 996 really is tiny compared to newer models!). Definitely needs some new tyres, first gear...nothing, 2nd gear with 70% throttle rears light up in the blink of an eye and the car is changing lanes. lol definitely not a GT3, much more refined (compared to mine anyhow) and at part throttle it's a nice cruiser. After that, lethal.

It arrived today. Went round dad's and had a quick look at it tonight and a short squirt around the block. First thing that grabbed me was how small the car looks in the flesh, I was expecting it to be bigger for some strange reason (the 996 really is tiny compared to newer models!). Definitely needs some new tyres, first gear...nothing, 2nd gear with 70% throttle rears light up in the blink of an eye and the car is changing lanes. lol definitely not a GT3, much more refined (compared to mine anyhow) and at part throttle it's a nice cruiser. After that, lethal.

definitely needs tyres.  I had planned a new set of Michelins but the sale price couldn't accommodate that...?

Previous owner reckons he fitted R specs on the rear to aid traction so you may need to consider that when buying new tyres.  It has an appetite for wheelspin for sure.  But when it hooks up, it hauls.  

Enjoy!

Keep us all updated - Curious to know how scary they are 

Just drove a GT3RS 997.2 and it was incredibly fast ( but I had electronics looking after me ) With your GT2 you're on your own

Congrats and looking forward to the updates on the driving experience

definitely needs tyres.  I had planned a new set of Michelins but the sale price couldn't accommodate that...?

Previous owner reckons he fitted R specs on the rear to aid traction so you may need to consider that when buying new tyres.  It has an appetite for wheelspin for sure.  But when it hooks up, it hauls.  

Enjoy!

For sure, i'm not sure R specs are the answer given their lack of all weather ability but perhaps something sticky like a cup 2 might be a good option for dad. I can only imagine how quick it would feel when it grips, blown away by the power delivery and low down torque!

Keep us all updated - Curious to know how scary they are 

Just drove a GT3RS 997.2 and it was incredibly fast ( but I had electronics looking after me ) With your GT2 you're on your own

Congrats and looking forward to the updates on the driving experience

Id love a drive of a 3.8 RS! I've only had a 5 minute drive of this GT2 and was being careful as its not my car but it's a totally different animal to a GT3. Nice to feel what the stock dampers in a 996 GT car are like though, people complain alot about them being too stiff but it feels supple compared to what i'm used to. I could imagine this thing will just eat up the road on a long road trip, so nice in the low RPM. I'll start a thread once we can get the two cars side by side with some driving impressions etc.

@spiller I asked your dad tonight to compare GT2 with his R35 GTR.  I suspect not much difference performance wise but the GT2 will feel much faster because it's raw and lively and RWD without any electronic nannies.   It's fast off the line, a bit faster than a GT3 but the mid range is what really boggles the mind, 3rd and 4th gear are like some sort of sci fi time warp experience.  it's devastatingly fast.  I miss it already........although in the old Mazda did a 1:19.4 around Sandown on the weekend which was faster than a Ferrari 458 and about a half second slower than a 997 Turbo 700hp on slicks.  So not all is los!

@spiller I asked your dad tonight to compare GT2 with his R35 GTR.  I suspect not much difference performance wise but the GT2 will feel much faster because it's raw and lively and RWD without any electronic nannies.   It's fast off the line, a bit faster than a GT3 but the mid range is what really boggles the mind, 3rd and 4th gear are like some sort of sci fi time warp experience.  it's devastatingly fast.  I miss it already........although in the old Mazda did a 1:19.4 around Sandown on the weekend which was faster than a Ferrari 458 and about a half second slower than a 997 Turbo 700hp on slicks.  So not all is los!

RX3??

Doug, I'm sure he told you, both cars have very similar power levels. In the very short time driving the GT2, it seems to hit boost more aggressively than the GT-R but perhaps it just feels that way because it's only going to 2 wheels? The GT-R feels numb and very heavy to me, disengaging. I suspect the GT2 would blow past it once up to steam as it probably weighs a good 3-400k less than the GT-R.

Well done on the lap time BTW!

Caution Japanese thread pollution!

1q2w3e4r is correct - S1 RX7. Supposedly 400+hp at the wheels, feels like that's true!  Only weighs 950kg so power to weight is amazing and it is very fast mid corner.

it will go faster too, didn't string together a great lap all day, the 1:19 above was still very conservative through the (scary) kink up the top of the back straight.  It should get down into 18s which is super quick for the little giant killer without big tyres (only 225 A050s) and no aero.

Only a couple of cars were faster, a home built clubman (finished with a 1:16!), the Fitzgerald 997TT on slicks (1:18) and an ex V8 Supercar (1:17).  The old chicken cooker was faster than a 458, GTRs and several dedicated track cars.  

27F71DCC-9F3D-49D2-82A2-641B5D745243.jpg

Brings back memories of watching Allan Moffat in the Peter S ( Cant spell it - Cigarette sponsor ) RX7 

Remember being there and at the time couldn't believe how loud it was

Always wanted a Daytona kitted RX7 - ( Couldn't afford a 924GT Carrera )

Great vid - OR SHOULD I SAY GREAT DRIVING MORE THE POINT

No more rice-burner talk!

DJM that is quite impressive and also cause didn't you mention it only owes you 20k?

bought as is ex WA on my105 for $17k. There are usually a few similar cars on my105 in the mid 20s.  They tend to sit for ages (small market for track only cars) so you can pick up a bargain.

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/id/16719

http://www.my105.com/mobi/ListingDetails/p/1/k/Rx7/id/17716

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/id/11136 - met this guy at Sandown, his car has been fully rebuilt on a clean S1 shell.  On the market for ages.  He also happens to own a 997 Turbo

I've thrown a few $$ at mine to iron out a few issues - new coils, Tilton clutch, rebuilt supra box, LSD, wastegate and new wheels and tyres but there's no question, in bang for buck terms it's right up there, faster than much more expensive road and track cars and you couldn't build one for double what I have invested.

Archived