997 GT3 vs 981 GT4

Snowman

Had a little chance to play with a 997 GT3 on track yesterday at Phillip Island. It was a heap of fun and really I thought this showed just how similarly matched they are.

I had another session with a 997.2 GT3 RS driven by a Pro driver (Scott Andrews) and it was much the same - only he was behind me after 1 lap. But Scott said he was impressed at how close the 2 cars were on track.

Yeah was a fantastic day. Not timed - just doing laps for fun.

Was also my first play with the AIM SmartycamHD camera.

It's a ripper! Anyone wanting a cool little track day camera with built in overlay I'd highly recommend it.

Looks effortless.  I assume you were not 100% though, just having fun.  I see you did a 1:49.  What do you reckon it's capable of, perhaps 48s or 47s?  I was surprised to see "only" 230 or so before turn 1.  Again assume not hard on it for the full lap?  Sounds great and as you say amazingly similar to GT3.  

Looks effortless.  I assume you were not 100% though, just having fun.  I see you did a 1:49.  What do you reckon it's capable of, perhaps 48s or 47s?  I was surprised to see "only" 230 or so before turn 1.  Again assume not hard on it for the full lap?  Sounds great and as you say amazingly similar to GT3.  

Good spot. Definitely weren't 100% laps as it was just a fun day. An "on it" lap we can take T3 flat, Hayshed flat(ish), T12 we take about 15km/hr faster which gives us a top speed I've recorded of 243 at the end of the straight. For reference - Mark still has the best lap time of 1.46.9. I'm going back for the PIARC weekend on Nov 12-13 to see what I can do. Our reference bench mark from PCV for a 997 GT3 is a 1.46.2 which is the eventual target - but I think that's about as quick as one of these could get to in effectively OEM trim. I do have some camber shims and a set of Cargraphics headers (hence the awesome  sound) - but they make bugger all performance difference on the track to OEM.

The hard part with PI is that going into those 1.46 times you will pretty much go through a set of tyres in a day. I was doing high 48's on Tuesday as my quickest and they still look relatively fine at the end, and could do 3-4 days there no problems at those speeds.

Hey Snowman did a car get roller that day?

Not that I am aware of.

It was a 2 day event and I was only there for one of them so perhaps it happened on the 1st day? Conditions were abysmal in the morning I was there with the rain bucketing down - and there was definitely a big mark through the grass at Hayshed - but I never saw or heard of anyone actually wrecking a car on the day.

Not that I am aware of.

It was a 2 day event and I was only there for one of them so perhaps it happened on the 1st day? Conditions were abysmal in the morning I was there with the rain bucketing down - and there was definitely a big mark through the grass at Hayshed - but I never saw or heard of anyone actually wrecking a car on the day.

Thanks    I saw what looked like a black Cayman on a flat tray heading back to Melbourne a bit beat up.

You Victorians are lucky to have such a world class track so close, I'd be there monthly if I lived locally, then again we do have Bathurst, but not as easy to get a red hot go there

Great outing, I've always wondered how the two cars would end up on the track with two "motivated" drivers

You Victorians are lucky to have such a world class track so close, I'd be there monthly if I lived locally, then again we do have Bathurst, but not as easy to get a red hot go there

Great outing, I've always wondered how the two cars would end up on the track with two "motivated" drivers

Robert- there are a few of us with GT4's coming for for Bathurst Challenge in November. I'm really looking forwards ot it - can't wait to see how it goes over the top. The best I did there in the EVO is a 2:30 dead - I'm really interested to see how the GT4 compares (I've run similar times in both cars at PI)

Nice video, helps understand the great value of money the GT4 is.  Front end turn in over Lukey and in to T10 is mightily impressive. 

Was looking for vmax on the clean lap then the video cut!

I'll post a "quick" lap after I do PIARC in November (presuming weather playing nice). 

Nice work mate. GT3 guy piked out when he knew you had his measure! Your entry and mid corner speed looked much better

How do you go at The Creek? 

I've only done The Creek at Rennsport this year. Was basically wet except for the 1st session on the Friday so I don't have a personal indicative time.

But Mark was there a couple of weeks ago (did a Porsche vs BMW day) - he did a 1.44.3 which I think is pretty quick!

Just need to get the GT4 a dry sump motor :)

The Clubsport race version doesn't run one so I figure it's not required!

I haven't had any takers on my 19" rims so I'll bite the bullet and order some Hoosier R7's for Bathurst.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert- there are a few of us with GT4's coming for for Bathurst Challenge in November. I'm really looking forwards ot it - can't wait to see how it goes over the top. The best I did there in the EVO is a 2:30 dead - I'm really interested to see how the GT4 compares (I've run similar times in both cars at PI)

I'll post a "quick" lap after I do PIARC in November (presuming weather playing nice). 

Cool, I'll be at Bathurst too

• 2 weeks later...

Are these laps on Street tyres as supplied OEM? 

I'm actually running Pirelli Trofeo R's now - which are still a street tyre. They are a touch faster than the Cup 2's. But the Cup 2's are more than capable to run the times in the vid in this thread. (Not the 1.45 one though).

Archived