Heat Exchangers on an air cooled 911

SteveC

I don't understand why the early 911 cars have head exchangers where the headers are, and water cooled ones just have the headers

what exactly is inside these and could these be changed for normal headers? they look quite bulky

if they are to cool the oil, why are these heat exchangers built inside the headers? wouldn't it make more sense to put a radiator at the front of the car to do this?

correct if you do not require heat in you cabin you can do away with them and run normal headers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the links will help you out :D

car makers generally use the water cooling an engine to generate the heat you require for you cabin heater via running it to a small under dash radiator with a fun behind it to push the hot air around the cabin ,,,,,,,,,,,,Air cooled 911,s use heated air that is generated from the heat exchanger to heat the cabin :)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/309147-explain-difference-betwen-headers-heat-exchangers.html

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/32219-how-do-heat-exchangers-work.html

so sans heather you could fit a 997 style header?

??

heater boxes are just boxes for passing air through.

water cooled cars have a conventional heater core coming from the coolant circuit.

once you cut the heater boxes off they are just normal extractors underneath. which can be made by any half decent exhaust shop.
diJ5Vh1.jpg?1

You guys have no idea.   The exchangers are to funnel eau de dinosaur into the cabin so everyone you meet can sense you've driven a proper 911 ?

How true. Last sunday I said to @LeeM that my car stinks inside coz i had the heater on.

I run European Racing headers and thus no heater, In Brisbane I can easily live without a heater but from a legal standpoint you need a demister to be roadworthy,however you can set the front blower to direct outside air to the demisters to keep the inside of the screen clear,although I rarely drive in the rain.

The car is lighter ,does not smell of Grizzly Bear- so win win.  :)

How true. Last sunday I said to @LeeM that my car stinks inside coz i had the heater on.

if you're lucky the flappers stop closing properly so you get to smell like that all the time

Every time I think of removing my heater I'm reminded of driving through Guyra on the way back from one of Uncle's scotch nights, where it started snowing and i really appreciated that heater

I once had to straddle parts of a dead Kangaroo on the freeway.

The roo bits were a little too high and it hit the heat exchanger on the way under the car.... needless to say the car smelt like a rotting bbq! 

ah...good memories of slow roasted critter, cooked for 4 1/2 hours at 100kmh  :wacko:

DSC09474.jpg

DSC09475.jpg

ah...good memories of slow roasted critter, cooked for 4 1/2 hours at 100kmh  :wacko:

DSC09474.jpg

DSC09475.jpg

Dude, spare us.

or you could fit one of these.

http://speedyairspares.com.au/products/12V_ELECTRIC_480W_40A_Heater_Defrost_Unit_4_Duct_Outlets_NO_ENGINE_WATER_REQUIRED_FEATURES_A_2_FOOT_SWITCH_HARNESS_FOR_DASH_MOUNTING_OF_SWITCH-775-16.html

Has anybody any experience with these? I would be very tempted so that i could do away with heat exchangers when I get new headers.

Has anybody any experience with these? I would be very tempted so that i could do away with heat exchangers when I get new headers.

I would like to know as well, as I currently have headers without heat exchangers. I was planning on building heat exchangers over mine, but that could be a good alternative.

Archived