2017 - YOT....?

turboT

Year of the enthusiast! The boom has finished, the investors and flippers have moved on from the forum having either parked their winnings into something else or they've hidden their air cooled retirement fund away. Next years aircooled buyer knows the market isn't going up anymore. They're buying because they're passionate about the car, just like the good old days (3 years ago). The front engined market has seen a lot of activity in recent times, not because people see an opportunity to make money but because these cars are affordable for the Porsche enthusiast. So I'm looking forward to 2017 as our community and the forum returns back to a place for the passionate Porsche enthusiast. There's some exciting builds going on at the moment and of course one or two on their way so I can't wait to see them progress. Bring on YOTE.

Oh, and also 996 C2 tiptronic coupes!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that if I keep putting it out there someone else will go and build it and save me from myself...

but cabman you have put 12 months of diligent service researching the mysteries of the cab marketplace. I would guess this makes you a world authority and there is no saving you now. YOTC.2.0

Year of the enthusiast! The boom has finished, the investors and flippers have moved on from the forum having either parked their winnings into something else or they've hidden their air cooled retirement fund away. Next years aircooled buyer knows the market isn't going up anymore. They're buying because they're passionate about the car, just like the good old days (3 years ago). The front engined market has seen a lot of activity in recent times, not because people see an opportunity to make money but because these cars are affordable for the Porsche enthusiast. So I'm looking forward to 2017 as our community and the forum returns back to a place for the passionate Porsche enthusiast. There's some exciting builds going on at the moment and of course one or two on their way so I can't wait to see them progress. Bring on YOTE.

Oh, and also 996 C2 tiptronic coupes!

I don't agree that you have to be an enthusiast who buys to keep otherwise you're an investor/flipper.  

I'm absolutely an enthusiast but kept my 964 for just 4 months (bored and someone offered me more) and my GT2 for 2 years (too fast, had my fun, survived).  I keep reminding myself, I am NOT a bad person.

I'm an enthusiast who gets bored easily and flips.  I reckon there are plenty like me out there including on PFA.  Are we the bad guys that drove the market up - no chance.  i haven't seen one interesting car that I'd be prepared to buy at the asking price for a long time.  Even if cash was unlimited.  Just over 2 years ago I could have a selection of GT3s for $85k, 968CSs for $45k.  It's an issue of value nowadays that I'd like to see turn around in 2017 otherwise I fear I may never agin bother to enter the Porsche market.  

When you compare across brands, you realise how stupid Porsche prices have become.  eg. 2007/8 M3 V8 manuals can be had in the 40s, similar money to a 20 year older 928S4.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-M3-2007/SSE-AD-4141971

So bring on YOTGVP = good value Porsche so I can continue to buy, experience, enjoy, sell on and try something else.  Who knows one day I might find a keeper.

There are 2 types of flipper. First you have somebody who is no more than a car trader, who has little or no emotional attachment to the cars he is buying and who is doing it just for profit. For some reason, many people hate these guys but as I have said elsewhere, they really don't harm the market and do not drive up prices.

Then there is the enthusiast flipper, who sees flipping as the ultimate game for the true enthusiast. I was one of these when i was in my 20's. I basically traded collectable and desirable cars, keeping them for 3-6 months to enjoy, and then selling on, using the profit to pay for my "habit". The profit would cover the cost of funding the car over the period, the insurance and other running costs, so at the end of the ownership period, i might have a small additional profit but i never had a loss. In this way, I went through a whole succession of what many consider highly desirable cars that I would otherwise not have been able to drive. included in the list of cars was a Triumph TR5, Healey 3000, Jag Mk II 3.8, Lotus Elan, Citroen Maserati SM, Ferrari Dino 246GT, E Type, Lamborghini Miura, Bristol 410 and Iso Grifo. I only bought cars I wanted to experience and being a flipper enabled me to own and drive some unbelievable cars, all before I was 25 years old. Isn't that the ultimate enthusiasts dream and flipping made it happen. I stopped when my career took off and I no longer had the time. 

Year of the get together hopefully and who gives a shit what its is ITS A PORSCHE.. on the road in cars .. imported or otherwise.. backdated or not , water cooled or air cooled

Year of the less discussion about values and more discussions about how we used them and what they mean to us.

Year of the less focus on whos making money on them and whos driving them like a legend. Trading is trading , some you win some you don't.. who cares .

Year of the admiring the marque and having a great car in your garage.

Year of everyone paying their membership and maybe paying a little bit more so we can have better messages space and maybe get a good picture interface.

Year of everyone still talking passionately about these cars .. even if the market drops.

Year of PFA  membership and contribution rather than lurking and just taking information.

Year of the better tarrifs and imports .. cant wait for that one.. I know I will still keep the cars I love and perhaps buy a few more..

Year of the get together hopefully and who gives a shit what its is ITS A PORSCHE.. on the road in cars .. imported or otherwise.. backdated or not , water cooled or air cooled

Year of the less discussion about values and more discussions about how we used them and what they mean to us.

Year of the less focus on whos making money on them and whos driving them like a legend. Trading is trading , some you win some you don't.. who cares .

Year of the admiring the marque and having a great car in your garage.

Year of everyone paying their membership and maybe paying a little bit more so we can have better messages space and maybe get a good picture interface.

Year of everyone still talking passionately about these cars .. even if the market drops.

Year of PFA  membership and contribution rather than lurking and just taking information.

Year of the better tarrifs and imports .. cant wait for that one.. I know I will still keep the cars I love and perhaps buy a few more..

This is essentially what I was trying to get at, you just said it better ?

Ferrari Dino 246GT, E Type, Lamborghini Miura, . I only bought cars I wanted to experience and being a flipper enabled me to own and drive some unbelievable cars, all before I was 25 years old. Isn't that the ultimate enthusiasts dream and flipping made it happen. I stopped when my career took off and I no longer had the time. 

Man that's another level altogether Simon! A f.....g Miura? A bit different to a 924 ya buy for 2 grand and try to flip for 6500!

Flipping is all good if both parties are happy with the price. Like me buying the SC from a friend. I knew he was making some good coin out of me, yet we both walked away happy

Man that's another level altogether Simon! A f.....g Miura? A bit different to a 924 ya buy for 2 grand and try to flip for 6500!

Flipping is all good if both parties are happy with the price. Like me buying the SC from a friend. I knew he was making some good coin out of me, yet we both walked away happy

Like buying me buying a CS from that same friend and someone else who may name themselves .. buying another car from that same friend..  Bloody flipper and hes a nice bloke and not even on the forum and we all still like him.. bloody flipper..maybe we should give him honoury flippin membership

IIRC, the Muira cost me the Dino and GBP3500. The Dino had cost me GBP4000. It was probably equal to half a years salary. And it was the steal of the decade. I cannot remember how much i made, but it paid off a lot of debt and got me out of trouble. It was all about having the balls to lie to finance companies to get the loans. Thinking back, i could have got badly burned, not least because i used my house as collateral and i am pretty sure I had loans in excess of 100% of the house value! And that was with my parents acting as guarantor. If they had known what i was doing.......yet they never questioned the flash cars. Credit check systems are probably too good tody to get away with such scams.

So bring on YOTGVP = good value Porsche so I can continue to buy, experience, enjoy, sell on and try something else.  Who knows one day I might find a keeper.

I also seem to have a 2-3 year threshold. Just glad I've stopped buying new Porsches that can lose $50k in that time...

DJM - I think you need to go older. Might be able to help you out with a shiny 930 for Christmas ?

I also seem to have a 2-3 year threshold. Just glad I've stopped buying new Porsches that can lose $50k in that time...

DJM - I think you need to go older. Might be able to help you out with a shiny 930 for Christmas ?

No bites at 200 Tomnus?

YOT - 996.1 / Cable Throttle "Hot Rod".

I almost wish I'd bought a 996.1 for 15k less than my 996.2 cost and "Magnused" it!

I was close but saw the 996.2 and ended up like 11 year old girl at a One Direction concert.....

Jim.

YOTH(airdresser)

absolutely - its time to stop worrying about oil leaks and head-studs, let the air-cooled anoraks push aside that box of tissues, put the lid on your tube of personal lube and close that web browser

Hit the open road, flat six behind you, sun over your head and  embrace that inner hairdresser that sits inside you all 

absolutely - its time to stop worrying about oil leaks and head-studs, let the air-cooled anoraks push aside that box of tissues, put the lid on your tube of personal lube and close that web browser

Hit the open road, flat six behind you, sun over your head and  embrace that inner hairdresser that sits inside you all 

I think your purchase was astute. It's rare, special, and modern. As for 2017 it will be YOTHotrod

Archived