944 S2 General Questions

Stepo

Maybe a new thread topic on the ellusive 944 cup holder solution, other than the crotch method. I'm sure the P. engineers in 1985 1/2 had a solution when the dash was re designed to install a cup holder, but it was probably nixed by management so not to show up any air cooled cars.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm expecting too much, thought you guys were going to tell me about some secret pocket that sits behind the door card mesh, not to be.

No pocket, just stereo speaker...

Why do some S2's have a badge next to the side guard indicator saying 16ventilator, I think that's what it says. My 1990 has no such badge, is it a year or original country thing?

Why do some S2's have a badge next to the side guard indicator saying 16ventilator, I think that's what it says. My 1990 has no such badge, is it a year or original country thing?

I've never heard of one that hasn't had them. Even the S had the "16 Ventilator" badges. My 90 S2 certainly has them.

Have you been able to find another example where they are missing? Is it possible that the mudguards are not original, from a Turbo, say?

I've never heard of one that hasn't had them. Even the S had the "16 Ventilator" badges. My 90 S2 certainly has them.

Have you been able to find another example where they are missing? Is it possible that the mudguards are not original, from a Turbo, say?

Mine doesn't have them either........ 

Mine is a 1990 as well (built December 89).

Any evidence of repairs/respray to that area?

Edit: BTW, did you say earlier that your S2 also had a split rear seat?

Hey Plugg, yes -my S2 has the split rear seat.  The PO alleges that the car had a respray about 2 years ago- though I would trust very little that he says.

In regards to the 16 Ventilator raised lettering on the short ( painted same colour as the car ) side protective moulding adjacent to the front guard indicator , this was standard on the 1987 & 1988 944S ( 2.5 L twin cam )  , never ever seen one from new as fitted by the factory on a 1989 , 1990 , 1991 944S2 , be it a coupe or a cabrio 

However saying that when I was at the Porsche dealership we had a few customers who had a near new 944S2 and liked the 16V badge they saw on the older 944S models , so it was quite simple , we just purchased them through spare parts ( for a 944S )  & had them painted to the same colour as the customers car & just removed the old non script ones and stuck on the 16V ones , very simple 

We even had a customers 944S2 cabrio here at work about 12 / 13 years ago & its was going in to get some hail damage repairs done & at the same time we purchased the 16V badges ( owners request) and had the panel shop install them

They may have been a option on the 1989 - 1991 944S2 , but have never ever seen them from new on a new 944S2 & I was at a Porsche dealership all through those years & I know what I saw , because I had a real interest in these great cars 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive    40 years & 3 months working on Porsche Sports cars

No pocket, just stereo speaker...

Thanks for the clarification Rob, you saved me the headache and time of pulling it apart.

In regards to the 16 Ventilator raised lettering on the short ( painted same colour as the car ) side protective moulding adjacent to the front guard indicator , this was standard on the 1987 & 1988 944S ( 2.5 L twin cam )  , never ever seen one from new as fitted by the factory on a 1989 , 1990 , 1991 944S2 , be it a coupe or a cabrio 

Well I bet there are many that would find that surprising Bruce.  Looks like I have a true unmolested example, not like all those dirty modified cars :lol::lol::lol:.

Sorry guys, I have to be pedantic.

It's 16 'Ventiler', not 'Ventilator'.

16 Ventiler means '16 Valver' in German...not to be confused with Ventilator which would mean 'fan'.

Good on you Tim, I never had the badge and was just guessing what I thought was right from memory.

Question for the brain trust:

does anyone have a hot (temperature) gear knob? The centre console, between the seats, was also warm approaching uncomfortably warm.  The owner didn't know, or let on to know about this situation. I am guessing that a thermal barrier either around shift linkage or a exhaust barrier is missing allowing heat from the exhaust pipes  to find it way in.

Anyone have any experience with this?

does anyone have a hot (temperature) gear knob? The centre console, between the seats, was also warm approaching uncomfortably warm.  The owner didn't know, or let on to know about this situation. I am guessing that a thermal barrier either around shift linkage or a exhaust barrier is missing allowing heat from the exhaust pipes  to find it way in.

Brian - are you out test-driving 944s?  Or have you bought one?  Back to your question - yes, the gearknob gets a bit warm, but not uncomfortably so.  There's a bunch of hot stuff right underneath it, even though the gearbox/trans isn't.  I'll confess to not having had a good look right up there re heat barriers.  If Bruce doesn't chime in, I'll put mine up on the hoist on the weekend and let you know.

Hi Brian,

Rob put me on to a video a guy in the States produced re changing the clutch.  Part of the video discussed there being a rubber boot directly under the leather shift boot that is designed to keep exhaust gases & heat out of the cabin.  Could this be the issue?  Hot gasses leaking up & warming the centre console?  When the guy in the video removed the leather shift boot he discovered that the rubber flange on his car had indeed pulled away from it's proper position & would be failing to keep out the heat & gases. Maybe a simple fix as you just need to reseat the boot- be a 15min job with the right tools.  However I am the least qualified person on the Forum to offer an opinion on the Stuttgart mechanicals:) (though according to Rob I make a fair to reasonable suspension apprentice these days).

944 , 944S ,944S2 ,951 up to mid 1991 have under the leather boot the " rubber / black plastic" inner sleeve , part number 477 711 270 B , then on top of the Torque Tube ( under the steel floor) is the large "grey in colour" foam sound absorber 477 711 239 

The sound absorber 477 711 239 is mainly that , however it also acts as a mild heat insulator sealing off the gear stick hole under the floor from sound , some heat & fumes & if its torn up / damaged or worse still "missing" it will fail to work accordingly

The inner sleeve under the leather boot 477 711 270 B is the same deal & these wear out / tear after about 5 to 10 years of thousands of gear stick movements and are very inexpensive , hence why we keep new ones of these in stock for that reason 

Now with all that said , you will always get some heat into the centre tunnel area on a trip , that's why its very very very important to have a a good condition leather boot( no tears or rips ) with a plastic ( not metal ) 5 speed cap on top of the gear stick

Note } if the leather boot is not complete , torn or worse still the top has been cut off and there is just the remains of the plastic covered alloy bodied gear stick outer section poking through , then heat , some fumes & noise will still come through , all depending on the condition of the sum total of all the parts I have mentioned above

Note 2 } with the T Tube heating up on a trip & the exhaust system under the car with very few heat shields will always transfer some heat into the floor & tunnel , just like on a 964 / 993 engine oil , oil cooler alloy pipes that run inside the O/S floor frame / sill ( heating the sill on a trip to very high temps & the oil tank on a 964 / 993 in R/H/D heating the area and seat belt directly behind the drivers right shoulder & it gets very very very hot in summer , quite uncomfortable to say the least 

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive   9948 2651

well that clears that up, thank you gentlemen.

I wonder if anyone has put a new, after market thermal/accoustic barrier under the carpet & centre console to reduce the heat soak. I seem to recall photos of MFX's "home built hotrod" lining the whole inside of the cabin.

Archived