Carport

Spectre

So we are building a carport and workshop in Malvern Victoria

Leaving the workshop aside, I'm struggling with the carport dimensions

The carport will be enclosed on three sides, the open side facing east.

The carport will feed off a rear lane which is 3m wide

I'm planning on parking the PCar ( 77 3.0) parallel to the lane and the carport will also run parallel to the rear lane

Hopefully I can get away with 7m of length and 5m of width.

So the question, will 7m x 5m be enough to get the car under the carport, given there is bugger all room to manouver in the 3m lane?

BTW the workshop will be 5m x 5m, so the total size of the building will be 12m x 5m

And no I don't want a TurboT stacker 

Any suggestions?

Yeah sure it'll fit, provided you have no back fence along the lane? Seriously, Carport will house it ok but depends how wide your gate opening is and how far from the lane the nearest parallel carport "wall" is to manoeuvre the car in as to how easy it'll be to get it in. I can just see you now down the local park with witches hats and cardboard boxes  marking out dimensions and trialling ????

So we are building a carport and workshop in Malvern Victoria

Leaving the workshop aside, I'm struggling with the carport dimensions

The carport will be enclosed on three sides, the open side facing east.

The carport will feed off a rear lane which is 3m wide

I'm planning on parking the PCar ( 77 3.0) parallel to the lane and the carport will also run parallel to the rear lane

Hopefully I can get away with 7m of length and 5m of width.

So the question, will 7m x 5m be enough to get the car under the carport, given there is bugger all room to manouver in the 3m lane?

BTW the workshop will be 5m x 5m, so the total size of the building will be 12m x 5m

And no I don't want a TurboT stacker 

Any suggestions?

Can you sketch up a plan? A compliant single off street park needs to be min 3.5 x 6.0 (clear) dimensions, typically minimal turning circles work on a 4.0m internal radius. 3.0m wide lane makes entry pretty tight. 

Yep Hugh the 3m lane is tight.

I tried a hot wheels car and a scale drawing, Hot wheels don't have any steering :(

i will try Sandys suggestion with the witches hats again.  First time I tried this wasn't brilliant as you can't see the hats.  I'll stick garden stakes in the hats

Longtime Richmond resident, and lane way parking access expert, you'll be amazed what you can do from a 3 metre lane with practice.  Angle of attack from the offside lane way fence is crucial and get that rear guard super close on entry*, be brave and the gates to heaven shall spring open. 

*If you have spoon drains be careful as they can tip the guard into the post. Ask me how I know (280SL).

I'll come past and park it for you, but you're not allowed to watch....

Longtime Richmond resident, and lane way parking access expert, you'll be amazed what you can do from a 3 metre lane with practice.  Angle of attack from the offside lane way fence is crucial and get that rear guard super close on entry*, be brave and the gates to heaven shall spring open. 

*If you have spoon drains be careful as they can tip the guard into the post. Ask me how I know (280SL).

I'll come past and park it for you, but you're not allowed to watch....

Thanks.  Just checked,  no spoon drains. 

I can change the depth, plenty of room in the back garden, unfortunately the 5m roller door is the max.  According to the architect.  

Thanks.  Just checked,  no spoon drains. 

I can change the depth, plenty of room in the back garden, unfortunately the 5m roller door is the max.  According to the architect.  

Specie, where's the diagram?  My understanding is you're effectively backing into a regular road side car parking spot, off a 3m wide lane, through a roller door, with stuff built around it (carport)?  What could possibly go wrong...

Specie, where's the diagram?  My understanding is you're effectively backing into a regular road side car parking spot, off a 3m wide lane, through a roller door, with stuff built around it (carport)?  What could possibly go wrong...

the rough drawing  is about 5 posts up

You'll have no problem getting in there.  Back her up from the workshop end.

Try it with cones or cardboard boxes at your local Coles down the back of the car park on Sunday morning, with a helper.

That's a big sunroof, by the way...

If depth is not a problem, why not move your back fence inwards by whatever distance will give you enough turning room, in effect widening your part of the laneway. alternatively as someone else has suggested angle park it (angle the carport?)

Paul M

If I'm not mistaken the length of the car is just under 4.3m.  Can you just drive straight in?  Maybe even push the depth out a touch for a bit more clearance, even though it is already open.

Archived