968 Clubsport steering wheel- Gimme Gimme......

Jason E

Hello All,

I want to buy one of these beauties to replace the tired/ standard steering wheel on my 944S2.  Just before I go & extract a kidney to buy a new one from O/S I thought i'd check & see if any PFAers had one lying around taking up space that they would be prepared to part with.  Cheers, Jason E.

s-l500.jpg

Your choice mate, but I think you should stick with the original for the Aus delivered car you have.

If it's stuffed, someone in SA did my silver car and it is fantastic. My mechanic told me someone in Vic does them as well, double stitched.

Surely there are options in Qld.

If you go for the 968 wheel, keep yours in mothballs.

Hey StepO,

I will definitely keep the original wheel & I must admit I don't mind the original wheels 80's-ness at all.  Sadly though the leather is knackered & I figured that by the time I get the leather redone a new wheel may be better long term.  I will look in to having it redione as I have a bit of interior leather work to be undertaken. 

I have to agree that the stock 944 series 2 steering wheel leaves a lot to be desired. It's passable, but a bit skinny to grip when things get a bit more "intense". The 968 CS wheel, with its anatomical hand grips, is infinitely more satisfying, if eye-wateringly expensive. However, there are other aftermarket options (I have a nice momo, myself) that are just as satisfying from a functional perspective, if not so cool as the genuine 968 CS "Atiwe" wheel. But if you want the additional 968 CS wheel cool factor, you have to pay... and one kidney may not be enough! :D

Where are you getting from Jason? They should be available through the local Porsche dealer, but then again with the Aussie Porsche tax it may well indeed cost and arm and a leg... or two!

Thanks to everyone for responding- I'm busy looking at all the options you are supplying much appreciated.

ANF- I have emailed the Porsche Dealership in LA as you can't direct order from the Porsche USA website.  You are directed to order through your local dealership.  I've asked whether they will post it & what the charges are.

EDGY- thanks it's good to know it;s a good wheel.  If I can't get my hands on one I will go for the MOMO Prototipo or I like the NARDI Classic (though I'm a little worried the raised arms may obstruct the view of the dials.

PLUGGER- which MOMO do you have?  I really like the CS Atiwe - it is stupidly expensive hence why i'd love to find a good second hand example.  New it will be somewhere around $700/800- madness......

You'll find they are not much cheaper used, since (I believe) they actually went NLA from Porsche a few years ago, and so everyone is now selling "old new stock". I'm not 100% sure about that -- a quick call to the Porsche parts dept would confirm -- but prices have certainly gone up for this wheel in the last few years, and I always thought this was the reason.

They are nice wheels though, no doubt about it.

I'm not sure what the name of my momo wheel is, but functionally there are many models that would do the trick -- more a matter of personal taste than anything else. Personally I like a 360mm diameter wheel in these cars, preferably with the anatomical hand grips.

Edit: Oh wait, here's my wheel. It looks like it's a model M38

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2098122-MOMO-M38-wheel-and-EARLY-e34-hub

A little left of center but these fit (with minor modification) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ this ones a bit pricey but they do come up cheaper, I got mine for $60 delivered off ebay, but mine needed recovering, Just got to get my horn push recovered with P badge

feels great, correct time period, from the Porsche family

You'll find they are not much cheaper used, since (I believe) they actually went NLA from Porsche a few years ago, and so everyone is now selling "old new stock". I'm not 100% sure about that -- a quick call to the Porsche parts dept would confirm -- but prices have certainly gone up for this wheel in the last few years, and I always thought this was the reason.

They are nice wheels though, no doubt about it.

I'm not sure what the name of my momo wheel is, but functionally there are many models that would do the trick -- more a matter of personal taste than anything else. Personally I like a 360mm diameter wheel in these cars, preferably with the anatomical hand grips.

Edit: Oh wait, here's my wheel. It looks like it's a model M38

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2098122-MOMO-M38-wheel-and-EARLY-e34-hub

I did contact Porsche Brisbane re these wheels.  They are still available but are special order with a long lead time, plus they are over $900aud.  You can get them readily from O/S.  Craig from Porsche parts said that we here in Aus miss out on stock as we have a minuscule market.  I can get a wheel from the States which includes the boss & delivery for about 700aud.  I can get a Prototipo & Boss for $415 & a nice Nardi for $500.  Decisions, decisions........... 

I was getting some parts availability info from my local Porsche dealer this morning & I included the part number of the Genuine Porsche black leather 968 Club Sport ( sports) steering wheel & Porsche Germany are showing 28 of them in stock ( Germany ) ,

I had the feeling ( last week ) they were still available , I just wanted to double check before posting on this thread

We always keep one new one in stock ( in its box with its German TUV certification ) because we sell quite a few each year & in the event of them going NLA , I want one for myself

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

I was getting some parts availability info from my local Porsche dealer this morning & I included the part number of the Genuine Porsche black leather 968 Club Sport ( sports) steering wheel & Porsche Germany are showing 28 of them in stock ( Germany ) ,

I had the feeling ( last week ) they were still available , I just wanted to double check before posting on this thread

We always keep one new one in stock ( in its box with its German TUV certification ) because we sell quite a few each year & in the event of them going NLA , I want one for myself

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Damn, I wish I knew you had them there for sale Bruce, I just ordered one last night from 5150 Motorsport in California.  Not to worry.

Damn, I wish I knew you had them there for sale Bruce, I just ordered one last night from 5150 Motorsport in California.  Not to worry.

Well done! You show exquisite good taste. (And I hear you can live a reasonably normal life on one kidney for many years.)

Group buy discount?

I could be keen down the track Brian.

You have great taste Jason. This is also my wheel of choice. I'm keen to take a look/feel once you get it installed. :D 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

How much can you source the wheel and boss kit for Bruce?

My new wheel arrived today, beautiful (I can't post a photo due to size no matter how far I reduce it - very frustrating).  Nine days after ordering from 5150 Motorsport (Calif- USA).  Well packaged & in good condition.  Pricey freight at 86ish USD (approx 112aud).  Very happy- can't wait to fit it- should add about 8 horsepower!!

My new wheel arrived today, beautiful (I can't post a photo due to size no matter how far I reduce it - very frustrating).  Nine days after ordering from 5150 Motorsport (Calif- USA).  Well packaged & in good condition.  Pricey freight at 86ish USD (approx 112aud).  Very happy- can't wait to fit it- should add about 8 horsepower!!

Try one of the photo hosting websites, although I would avoid photobucket as it has a myriad of issues.....

Nice wheel, prob my fav!

Excellent news Jason , I did some calculations & I think the feel good factor adds nearly 10HP & that's with the engine turned off 

Regards
Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

Haha Bruce, certainly felt at least that fast as I sat on the couch in my undies last night making broom broom noises & steering the wheel around the living room (hope I'm not over sharing here everyone!!).

Try one of the photo hosting websites, although I would avoid photobucket as it has a myriad of issues.....

Nice wheel, prob my fav!

Thanks Adam, which is the simplest program/ site in your opinion?  I am an Interweb novice....sadly....

Agreed....this wheel is my 1st choice.

Archived