Porsche Assist ~ Worth it?

Hey guys,

As many have seen from previous a post I had need of utilising the Porsche Assist that is supplied free of charge when you take you car to a Porsche Dealer for servicing.

Which in my case was Porsche Centre Melbourne (PCM)

A few K's from the summit of Mount Hotham i hit a rock with my front right tyre while pressing hard into a left hand corner.

With most of the weight on the front right the rim pinched & split the side wall of the tyre (bugger)

Firstly I have to say I was really impressed at how stable the car was with the flat tyre, this was to the point i was actually thinking the road surface had changed and it "was just a little noisy"

But i wasn't convinced so i pulled to the side and with the help of the guys (everyone's a comedian at these times :P) we noticed the sidewall split.

The 981S has no spare/space saver so with a large servicing of optimism i tried the Porsche supplied bottle of goo and the air compressor and then thanks to SteveGT3 a can of i think "Tyre weld?" (which i need to replace) but the split was too large. 

So i limped to the summit carpark of Mount Hotham.

Googled Porsche Assist and made the call.

So say i was surprised by the service is an understatement.

Took my name / details of the car and immediately came up with "Bafe you are entitled to a fee towing service to the nearest Porsche Dealership, looks that up and says yes thats PCM, do you need accommodation and can I organise a hired car for you to get home?"

She asked for the address of the vehicle, which is when I became nervous and said "don't laugh, i'm on the summit of Mount Hotham" 

to which she replied "ok that's no problem but i'm sorry i don't think we can be there in our target time of 60 from the phone call. "

So I believe within 2 hours of the phone call my car had gone from this

C82F2CA2-4D9A-49BC-9D20-97564163DD1D.jpg

to this

F58EABD7-514D-4F96-A62D-1BBEB46C5358.jpg

6875F61C-7961-4842-BA56-5D06517F4AF7.jpg

The car was locked up on a secure compound in Bright and then delivered to PCM by lunchtime Monday.

I wasn't able to get there yesterday to pick it up but this afternoon i was greeted with this

369F29F6-70FA-4E3B-BF67-C247B292D42A.jpg

De-bugged, washed and vacuumed.

All that included in the price of a $600 service.

If you car never leaves Melbourne then it may hold a little less value but if you do like to #getoutanddrive then to me its pretty bloody good.

Credit where its due i reckon that's a bloody good servcie

Yes, bloody rest service.

And to add to the description the event......

8B1A9AEB-2CB3-461B-B63F-5B75B3602636_zps

Long way up!

DDDFF3FE-8197-4F79-B20D-33D69B81AC1C_zps

Gee I wish someone spoke German!!!

D7BF9E70-735E-4261-AB7A-89A722476318_zps

That's no smile. Cringing at the thought of how much the factory tyre seal is going to cost to replace.

Yes, bloody rest service.

And to add to the description the event......

8B1A9AEB-2CB3-461B-B63F-5B75B3602636_zps

Long way up!

DDDFF3FE-8197-4F79-B20D-33D69B81AC1C_zps

Gee I wish someone spoke German!!!

D7BF9E70-735E-4261-AB7A-89A722476318_zps

That's no smile. Cringing at the thought of how much the factory tyre seal is going to cost to replace.

$150 ?

I've had to make that call :lol:  I agree, they are very good. 

When you look at what the independent P shops charge (well at least here in Syd), factor in this P assist, dealer servicing is a good proposition for late cars, cheaper actually in my case as I'd need to travel far to the independent shops. 

Correct me if i am wrong but I seem to recall that I was advised Porsche Centre Brighton at the last service that Road Side Assist is free for 12 months if you have your car serviced by a Porsche Dealer.  Is this correct?

Also what is the general opinion on paying the $1500 per year to extend the warranty.  Mine is out of warranty in December 2017 so wondering if I should pay the $1500 for peace of mind.

Correct me if i am wrong but I seem to recall that I was advised Porsche Centre Brighton at the last service that Road Side Assist is free for 12 months if you have your car serviced by a Porsche Dealer.  Is this correct?

Yup all you need to do is get your car serviced by them and they include 12 months roadside assistance (which is actually covered by Allianz).

I wasn't sure if it was because I bought the car from them or just the servicing but it is just a perk of having them do the service.

The "free" roadside assist is one of the reasons I use PCM for my servicing.

I've made the call before when my battery died and I didn't have my jump starter with me, they were very helpful. Also had to make the call when my water pump went and it was towed straight to the dealership.

There are quite a few stories in the US where people have "heard a strange noise" or "something happened" so they drove home and its cost them mega dollars to fix when it could have been saved by getting it towed. Knowing you've got the option to get it to the dealership for free is great piece of mind.

Had a similar experience in the Cayenne last June coming back from the holiday house in Vic.  Got stuck south of Euroa with a blow out and no ability to change the tyre out due to the angle and aftermarket wheels not fitting the stock Porsche wheel brace.  Called P-Car roadside and they had someone out and tyre swapped within about 90 minutes.

I've also used them out in Warburton when the winter cold killed the battery one night.  So in the space of about 2 weeks it had more than paid for itself 

I didn't believe (well, thought I'd check) if it was real, considering the age of my car after I had it serviced at PCM last year. Before going on the Tassie trip I called Porshce Assist, gave them my name / car reg and asked if I was covered for the trip, yes she said, just call us if you have signal and we'll send out whatever recovery is needed.

My car's a 1987 911 that hadn't seen the dealer network for 24 years. That's pretty impressive, well worth the $600 service to be honest.

Yep got it on my 2000 Boxster as well. I took it for a full service when I bought it, as it had been under the ownership of someone that took it to autotune for it's services. I set that right.

Funnily enough, PCM didn't properly reattach one of the water hoses during the service and the very next day it dumped it's water and left me stranded in a carpark. One call and it was all taken care of.

Also what is the general opinion on paying the $1500 per year to extend the warranty.  Mine is out of warranty in December 2017 so wondering if I should pay the $1500 for peace of mind.

no brainer on the extended factory warranty if you ask me - doesn't take much to go wrong to recoup the value of that warranty, plus its transferable if you sell the vehicle on and a selling point i would suggest. 

no brainer on the extended factory warranty if you ask me - doesn't take much to go wrong to recoup the value of that warranty, plus its transferable if you sell the vehicle on and a selling point i would suggest. 

mine comes to the end of its 10 year extendable warranty in Aug. best thing I did have had alot of things replaced due to age and wear and tear no questions asked.

just be careful on the mechanical side as there can be a lot of ambiguity of what is and is not covered.

cheers

Best part of getting your car serviced at a Porsche dealer = Piece of mind ;) 

hi pete

except when they damage your car and won't claim responsibility, or don't reattach parts back properly. Lots of stories to tell you!?

I've had challenges at both P Centres and Independants. Just have to keep trying different shops until you are satisfied you are getting good service. To the point of the thread, I will still take my 996 to Porsche, purely because I like to have a consistent service book. Wanky I realise, but hey horses for courses :) 

I've had challenges at both P Centres and Independants. Just have to keep trying different shops until you are satisfied you are getting good service. To the point of the thread, I will still take my 996 to Porsche, purely because I like to have a consistent service book. Wanky I realise, but hey horses for courses :) 

Completely agree, I'm exactly the same.

Archived