Race Suits

Pork Chops

Ill go down a different path of conversation...

I work at a race circuit for a living. Don't be the guy that turns up dressed to the nines like he's the next Schumacher and then go on track and wail about.

Chances are if you haven't been on track before you won't be the best there. Go in what's required to the safety standard needed not over the top. It's much more impressive seeing someone who turns up for a go kill it, then someone dressed like they will that flops it.

This is making big assumptions I know but, even still. You don't have to look the part to drive the part.

Spend the dollars on a good helmet and shoes.

But dude I'm a gun driver. Really, I am. I got good shoes gloves and helmet and per your advice, and others' too, I'll just get an entry level RPM suit. Cheers.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work at a race circuit for a living. Don't be the guy that turns up dressed to the nines like he's the next Schumacher and then go on track and wail about.

He does have a GT3 to go with the race suit ;)

But dude I'm a gun driver. Really, I am. I got good shoes gloves and helmet and per your advice, and others' too, I'll just get an entry level RPM suit. Cheers.

We just need a thread to help decide on the colour! :D

you drive like an old granny.....!

I'd agree with others who suggested that if you don't need to wear a race suit and are just doing sprints I wouldn't bother, I'd just wear some cotton pants, long sleeve shirt with race shoes and gloves. It's nice to be comfortable.

If you do need one though I've loved my Sparco Victory RS4 which I've owned for nearly 2 years now. It's a newer material called Hocotex which is single layer so it is cooler than most suits and offers essentially the same  protection as a triple layer nomex suit which have the same FIA 8856-2000 certification (good enough for anything  including international  Motorsport) http://www.autosport.com.au/sparco-victory-rs4-fia-suit

Get what ever the minimum material is for clothing and save up the money for a HANS device. You'll more likely use it than for what its designed for than the suit if anything ever goes wrong. I've got 2 mates who wish they had invested in a HANS, whilst another thanks his life he had a HANS.

Get what ever the minimum material is for clothing and save up the money for a HANS device. You'll more likely use it than for what its designed for than the suit if anything ever goes wrong. I've got 2 mates who wish they had invested in a HANS, whilst another thanks his life he had a HANS.

Good advice but I need the suit simply to get get  onto Hampton Downs in NZ. The car I'll be driving will not even have a harness. It's just a matter of what's best given the circumstances and it seems a low cost, comfortable, compliant suit is the way to go. You're no the first to extol the virtues of a HANS device so separately I should consider one for sure.

If the car has no harness then the HANS device won't work.

Get a good 3 layer suit.  Anything else is false economy.  I've been involved in seeing how these things work first hand. You need as much time as you can get.  Add a good full face, balaclava, boots, socks and gloves.

As James P has shown, take care of them and they'll last ages.  Amortize the cost of the suit over 10 years.  

Also, think of it this way ... you'd stump up 2000 for a good set of tyres that might last you 3-4 outings.  Kind of puts the suit into context?

I'll say the same thing about a HANS device.  i was an early adopter when they came out.  I've had 3 big ojes and each time the HANS has been a factor in coming out the other end without neck injury or worse.  Being in a car on a track without one (assuming a harness is fitted) is just plain dumb.

NEVER skimp on safety. You only go around once so enjoy it they say.  I also say, stay around for as long as you can  

Otherwise, google "one easy piece". and select "images" That's the retro look you should go for.  RPM will do you a custon one. Trust me. You'll  look grea. 

Ill go down a different path of conversation...

Chances are if you haven't been on track before you won't be the best there. Go in what's required to the safety standard needed not over the top. It's much more impressive seeing someone who turns up for a go kill it, then someone dressed like they will that flops it.

This is making big assumptions I know but, even still. You don't have to look the part to drive the part.

Spend the dollars on a good helmet and shoes.

Personally I would rather the best protection I can afford than try to impress someone with how well I can (can't) drive while dressed as an underdog. As to what others think? 

This looks like a good option for 3 point belts.

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybrid/hybrid-s-3-point-belt-compatible-july-special-price/

There is some evidence that HANS devices are adding to the severity of lower back injuries. I use a Hans device when in a harnessed car but am looking at my options. 

Personally I would rather the best protection I can afford than try to impress someone with how well I can (can't) drive while dressed as an underdog. As to what others think? 

+1

I picked up a Bell helmet and Hans whilst in UK from MSAR, great service and prices and they ship no problems and get your VAT back. Significant differences over Aus.

As the dude said in the shop… Motorsport and Polo is the pastime of the rich.. none of us are broke or poor.

Value your survival, I will show you the best products, give you great advice and offer you very good prices for which you pay me a fair margin.

https://www.msar.co.uk

You can save money on your gear if you shop well, but buy good gear and yoi can get great value.

I just need to learn how to drive now…but I tell ya… shit I get some looks from the girls, when I turn up at the coffee shop for a Latte ;) PS I dont take me helmet off though 

@Pork Chops , if you buying boots also check the RPM stuff , super comfy 

For your suit The mondial suit is not as well fitting as the RPM Podium suit , so go middle of the road if your gonna get that brand, dont get the cheapest .. this suit is way more comfortable in my opinion for a only a few bucks more

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25861&PSO=245&PSID=1061**1**1&PSV=Primary&CDO=

Lets talk about gloves… that what I wanna know which ones are good.. @TrevMcRev hes got some cool Michael Jackson White ones .. and hes got some good moves

Érol from Revolution recommends this suit for me.  Reckons it ticks all the boxes and no need to spend anything more.  FIA approved, comfortable, looks good, and effective if there is a fire.  $699.

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25861&PSO=245&PSID=AS3355517*****-2017&PSV=Primary&CDO=12

I'll look into the Sparco option mentioned above but it's getting on for double the price.  Only thing on my mind is even in winter you get so hot, I wonder unless you have a cool suit it may not get used, unless you have to, (in my case not a lot as I'm sprinting in AU), and therefore the utility of the suit is less and therefore so is the value.  Or am I talking myself into another $450...

Do you intend to have the full length under wear as well? You get bloody hot with that no matter what the day.....

Unless you are going full on racing just get quality (safe) stuff of what you need not over the top

Érol from Revolution recommends this suit for me.  Reckons it ticks all the boxes and no need to spend anything more.  FIA approved, comfortable, looks good, and effective if there is a fire.  $699.

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25861&PSO=245&PSID=AS3355517*****-2017&PSV=Primary&CDO=12

I'll look into the Sparco option mentioned above but it's getting on for double the price.  Only thing on my mind is even in winter you get so hot, I wonder unless you have a cool suit it may not get used, unless you have to, (in my case not a lot as I'm sprinting in AU), and therefore the utility of the suit is less and therefore so is the value.  Or am I talking myself into another $450...

I suggested the Sparco suit but to be honest they are probably similar if you are in a road car with air conditioning. The time it makes a difference is in a stripped out race car.

When you got out have the air conditioning on for 5 minutes before you go out (sub zero setting) and leave the air conditioning on the whole time or at least leave it on before you head out and during the out lap.

I'd strongly think about if you even need a suit since if you have a road car and end up getting in a situation where the cabin is on fire you are probably in a mangled mess of a car you can't get out of anyway and flaggies at sprints aren't prepared for that sort of thing (in probably 100 track days I've never seen a cabin fire in a road car).

I suggested the Sparco suit but to be honest they are probably similar if you are in a road car with air conditioning. The time it makes a difference is in a stripped out race car.

When you got out have the air conditioning on for 5 minutes before you go out (sub zero setting) and leave the air conditioning on the whole time or at least leave it on before you head out and during the out lap.

I'd strongly think about if you even need a suit since if you have a road car and end up getting in a situation where the cabin is on fire you are probably in a mangled mess of a car you can't get out of anyway and flaggies at sprints aren't prepared for that sort of thing (in probably 100 track days I've never seen a cabin fire in a road car).

Thanks again. As stated it's mandatory to get on the track at Hampton Downs in NZ. Either a race suit or full length cotton gardening overalls which I'd rather not use for reasons of vanity. One off I could live with but over the next few years I plan to do a number of NZ track days. I'm unaware what their reasoning is but that's not the point.

Go to Revolution or the gaff at Moorabbin and try a few on, they're quite different and comfort is important. I've used a few over the years and erm, nut comfort has been lacking in some of them as they're too short. Nothing worse than being compromised in that department....

I've got both Sparco and OMP gloves. Sparco's are the most comfortable of the 2, got them from Demon Thieves many moons ago.

I picked up a Bell helmet and Hans whilst in UK from MSAR, great service and prices and they ship no problems and get your VAT back. Significant differences over Aus.

As the dude said in the shop… Motorsport and Polo is the pastime of the rich.. none of us are broke or poor.

Value your survival, I will show you the best products, give you great advice and offer you very good prices for which you pay me a fair margin.

https://www.msar.co.uk

You can save money on your gear if you shop well, but buy good gear and yoi can get great value.

I just need to learn how to drive now…but I tell ya… shit I get some looks from the girls, when I turn up at the coffee shop for a Latte ;) PS I dont take me helmet off though 

@Pork Chops , if you buying boots also check the RPM stuff , super comfy 

For your suit The mondial suit is not as well fitting as the RPM Podium suit , so go middle of the road if your gonna get that brand, dont get the cheapest .. this suit is way more comfortable in my opinion for a only a few bucks more

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?PCID=25861&PSO=245&PSID=1061**1**1&PSV=Primary&CDO=

Lets talk about gloves… that what I wanna know which ones are good.. @TrevMcRev hes got some cool Michael Jackson White ones .. and hes got some good moves

Mine are Alpine Stars.  Got em for free of me ol' mate Ken Block...autographed too!

They allow you to go around corners in the wet with fine precision.:blink:

Can't remember the brand of my gloves but they have external seams so your hands are more comfy. They are comfy.

Yours are Puma.  And yeah, the @Pork Chops can steer - even without autographed gloves or a suit!

Interiors look similar, engines slightly different!

Archived